Unpopular opinion ? I love Strickland's style and i think it's refreshing (come at me sherbros)

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
First of, yes i realize his fights are often close fights and i realize he has a defensive approach which might seem boring at first glance.

I did predict he would embarrass DDP and i was WRONG then.

Anyway, i think his stand up game is the perfect combination of key elements : interception, protection (philly shell), hand trapping. His shots are coming from close range, he takes the center line, and he's unpredictable. I love the front kick he adds to his arsenal that messed up with Adesanya's strategy

If only he could mix it up with more wrestling it would actually be a tough style to deal with. For those who say he will never be remembered as a top MW fighter i have to strongly disagree here.

I find him very boring tbh. People used to criticize Floyd but I find him more exciting than Strickland.

I used to criticize Izzy a lot, and find him also more entertaining. @drbolony was right

I will always appreciate guys like Gaethje or Wanderlei who comes to kill everytime even though they may not be the champ.

He should add a few takedown fakes.
Calf kicks to immobilize his opponents.
Then he could land better.
His right hand needs a lot of polishing, he needs to drill that one in a boxing gym.

But yeah his style is fun.

STOP SPARRING SMALL GLOVES 1 WEEK EARLIER. You don't want half open cuts and injured flesh. You'll bleed and judges will score.

Last edited:
I think Sean's is the epitome that every boxing couch was dreaming about.
The guy wins the biggest MMA promotion gold solely with his jab.

Maybe I'm biased about the subject because i started my martial road with boxing (at 12) and the jab was the first strike I've ever learned( as usual, lol) and i learned the importance of the jab very early and that stuck in my head. (Distance control,volume, hinder opponent vision, feints etc) and I still polishing it until today .

The problem is, the jab opens a lot of paths, but I think Sean doesn't explore them.
I agree that he should use more takedowns, dont know about calf/thigh kicks, cause of his stance.

In DDP figth I saw he landing a lot of straight rights, but if they were hooks, he probably could knock him down.
So I think he need better hooks to head, and to the body.
He already have the cardio, reaction, and distance management, if he Mix it with TD's he could be very hard to deal with.

Last edited:
I love how he's so good at using a couple of simple tools that he can completely bamboozle a guy like Izzy.
Everything is simple, basic, economical, yet he clowned a guy who knows every advanced kickboxing combo in the book. As a martial arts fan this is exactly the kind of stuff I love to see. My favorite fighters tend to be the ones with really solid striking fundamentals.
If he could find a way to follow up that jab with a powershot more consistently he could be a truly great fighter.

Last edited:
I like his style,but yknow,there are times he should turn it up. He kind of keeps it in the same gear the whole fight.

Yes that's the thing. He's too careful and the only time he turns it up (against Adesanya for instance) is when he finds an opening and has his opponent rocked

Sean doesn't use wrestling for the same reason Justin Gaethje doesn't use wrestling...it taxes your cardio.
Sean has good cardio, but he chooses to use it to fuel his tools.

Anything outside of that puts serious stress on his cardio.
Its like trying to make marathon runner do sprints...yes the marathon runner has cardio for days but he won't if sprinting.

Like @HHJ said, he stays in the same gear the whole fight.
Now, that's how he wears people down in my eyes, but occasionally redlining puts him at a deficit.

I personally thought he won that fight last week, but he could use a trick or two up his sleeve to keep his opponents off guard, but I don't think TDs are that trick.

He has good boxing, good defense, and personally I think calf kicks would be a real option for him since everyone is worried about the jab.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
his striking, at least his offense, needs more diversity. i like his style for what it is, because i like boxing and always complain about MMA fighters having shit boxing and never using a jab. if can develop his counterstriking or his right hand to be a more efficient movement than what it currently is and have the confidence to let it go, i think that would help him.

Sean doesn't use wrestling for the same reason Justin Gaethje doesn't use wrestling...it taxes your cardio.
Sean has good cardio, but he chooses to use it to fuel his tools.

Anything outside of that puts serious stress on his cardio.
Its like trying to make marathon runner do sprints...yes the marathon runner has cardio for days but he won't if sprinting.

Like @HHJ said, he stays in the same gear the whole fight.
Now, that's how he wears people down in my eyes, but occasionally redlining puts him at a deficit.

I personally thought he won that fight last week, but he could use a trick or two up his sleeve to keep his opponents off guard, but I don't think TDs are that trick.

He has good boxing, good defense, and personally I think calf kicks would be a real option for him since everyone is worried about the jab.

Just my opinion of course.

What do you make of DDP spamming TD, pushing the pace for 5 rounds despite having more muscle mass to carry? Does he know the secret juice?

Back