Unpopular opinion ? I love Strickland's style and i think it's refreshing (come at me sherbros)

What do you make of DDP spamming TD, pushing the pace for 5 rounds despite having more muscle mass to carry? Does he know the secret juice?

Some people fight that way and thus being used to that energy release.
Khabib could pressure like that because he trained like that.

Im not sure about DDP considering he is carrying so much mass.

I guess we'll see.

I enjoy watching anyone with a unique style and Strickland's is certainly unique. That said I find it extremely defensive and I usually hope for him to lose for this reason. It's interesting to see how people try to deal with his style though, so I mostly agree with you.

I'd much rather watch someone like Perreira who is technical, strategic, and is also trying to separate you from you consciousness. Even Machida, who was sometimes criticized for being boring, was trying to knock you out and often did.

Strickland is like at his most conservative GSP on quaaludes, with less athleticism.

The only way Strickland gets a finish is if you are retarded and gas out. And he gets a lot of split decisions either way because not much is actually happening.

That jab is like nothing mma has ever seems as exhibited by the Alex P fight

I love it too. He is great at what he does, even if it's limited. I love diversity, so he just makes things more interesting. It's really boring if you see too many guys that just do the same kind of things, for too long.

Sean doesn't use wrestling for the same reason Justin Gaethje doesn't use wrestling...it taxes your cardio.
Sean has good cardio, but he chooses to use it to fuel his tools.

Anything outside of that puts serious stress on his cardio.
Its like trying to make marathon runner do sprints...yes the marathon runner has cardio for days but he won't if sprinting.

Like @HHJ said, he stays in the same gear the whole fight.
Now, that's how he wears people down in my eyes, but occasionally redlining puts him at a deficit.

I personally thought he won that fight last week, but he could use a trick or two up his sleeve to keep his opponents off guard, but I don't think TDs are that trick.

He has good boxing, good defense, and personally I think calf kicks would be a real option for him since everyone is worried about the jab.

Just my opinion of course.
I think motorcycle accident may be a reason as well, aside from him prefering the man dance

The whole point of fighters being in the cage is to provide entertainment for the fans.
Most people don't want to see cautious point fighting.

Is Strickland skilled. Of course he is. I just don't want to watch someone play it super safe and jab their way
to a win.

Some people fight that way and thus being used to that energy release.
Khabib could pressure like that because he trained like that.

Im not sure about DDP considering he is carrying so much mass.

I guess we'll see.

Muscular guys like Chandler, Romero, Woodley carry a lot of muscle mass so they have to pace themselves otherwise they can't keep it up for 5 rounds. I would have thought a big guy like DDP would struggle in the later rounds because of that..

im glad some enjoy it but reducing mma to a jab and shoulder roll shouldnt be possible

Muscular guys like Chandler, Romero, Woodley carry a lot of muscle mass so they have to pace themselves otherwise they can't keep it up for 5 rounds. I would have thought a big guy like DDP would struggle in the later rounds because of that..

I honestly thought if it went into the later rounds he'd gas out hard.
Seems like this cat might have tricks up his sleeve...just not sure what they are ;)

Sean really is scrappy however if he weren’t talking his way there I doubt we have this discussion

Sean doesn't use wrestling for the same reason Justin Gaethje doesn't use wrestling...it taxes your cardio.
Sean has good cardio, but he chooses to use it to fuel his tools.

Anything outside of that puts serious stress on his cardio.
Its like trying to make marathon runner do sprints...yes the marathon runner has cardio for days but he won't if sprinting.

Like @HHJ said, he stays in the same gear the whole fight.
Now, that's how he wears people down in my eyes, but occasionally redlining puts him at a deficit.

I personally thought he won that fight last week, but he could use a trick or two up his sleeve to keep his opponents off guard, but I don't think TDs are that trick.

He has good boxing, good defense, and personally I think calf kicks would be a real option for him since everyone is worried about the jab.

Just my opinion of course.
Excellent take brother, good shit. More people would realize this if they actually trained.

I find him very boring tbh. People used to criticize Floyd but I find him more exciting than Strickland.

I used to criticize Izzy a lot, and find him also more entertaining. @drbolony was right

I will always appreciate guys like Gaethje or Wanderlei who comes to kill everytime even though they may not be the champ.
I appreciate you too orange belt stranger. There's room on the Izzy wagon for all!

I don’t like his style that much. People notice how great his jab is. I notice how bad most of his other weapons are. He is a good fighter, composed, has a good chin, when he gets hit he eats it like it’s nothing, bla, bla, bla. He is the least exciting elite fighter I can think of. All the best to the man, bit I hope I don’t have to see him in a 5 round fight again, 3 rounds of sparring is more than enough.

Sean has the big advantage of being super hard to keep down, which gives him an advantage when he is the better striker. I don't see him being a great striker though and think Izzy will win a rematch.

Back