Unpopular take: I don't think Conor looked that bad

Honestly, what does it really matter if he looked good? Bottom line, he got his shit pushed in and glass leg snapped by the same dude who pushed his shit in a few months back.

Conor didn't look that bad, but he didn't look like he was in the same league as Poirier, which is the real problem when you're locked into a series of fights against him.

I've no doubt Conor would beat any number of UFC lightweights, but the problem is he isn't going to get fed many 'easy' fights unless they're legends.

Conor's a premium fighter, he isn't getting squash matches, and he isn't good enough for the elite.
Yeah, even if Conor didn't make every piss poor choice in the fight, Poirier would have still wore on Conor until he conceded imo.

He clinched him up, but Dustin went for the TD, remember.
Go rewatch plz ,Conor is the One who clinch and GOES for panicking wrestling, then Dustin put him against the Cage and the guillotine Started. He panicked wrestled

I keep hearing analysts and fighters alike saying Conor just got mauled by Poirier in this last fight, but in watching it back, it doesn't seem that way. Conor in fact won the first two minutes of Round 1. Dustin won the second two minutes, but not as dominantly as some claim, imo. He was hitting Conor with GnP, but not all of it connected and go back and watch how many solid blows (elbows, upkicks, punches) Conor landed on Dustin, definitely affecting Dustin.

Conor did end up getting out of that position, as well, not a small feat and was on the attack right after. I don't know; a fourth go-round may be worth doing. Flame way. Thank you.
Unpopular, but factual. When considering one faction of the game

Conor wasn't doing anything particularly impressive on the feet, he looked better in his last fight with his hands. Everything he was doing seemed very forced and tense. The positive being his movement, stance and emphasis on kicks.

The way he acted both during the press conference and leading up to / after the fight seemed like there was something genuinely wrong with him mentally.

the Khabib bout looked a lot worse though and he still came back and won a round, there was definitely a lot of juice still left in this fight.

At the same time, nothing Conor did inspired any confidence that he would've won. The possibility was open that he could potentially return some of his former glory with more adjustments and activity during this fight but it's clear his best days are behind him.

That all being said, if Anderson Silva lost by blowing his knee out or breaking his leg in his prime, I feel like most fans would feel like there's some unfinished business. I don't think it would ever feel right to conclude a saga with a fight ending injury. I think everyone always wants a definitive and conclusive result.

Poirier and Dana both pretty much eluded to the same thing.

question is, how long is McGregor out and will he ever be the same. That might have been the straw that broke the camels back and his career may finally be over.

You seem like good people. Sorry I was a dick earlier. I was in default nuthugger bashing mode and I was out of line.

I will concede that you have made some strong points and I will also admit that I was mostly just bullshitting earlier. I can see the arguments for scoring it either way. I just actively dislike the guy and scoring it 10-8 is way funnier.
I didn't read any of what you guys were arguing about

but the maturity in these heated, often polarizing discussions is a rare and beautiful thing to see.

Last edited:
He always looks good in the first round when he goes 100% and uses up all his energy.

He looked terrible. Kicked Dustin couple of times and after 90 seconds he went into panic mode for a takedown. Elite striker my ass. Been taken down and dominated. Fauled couple of times and his butt licker Herb Dean haven't seen nothing. Pathetic as always.

He didn't look bad for the first minute, until he tried that stupid guillotine. But he had to try something, because his gas tank was already empty and was already losing.
Breaking his leg ended up good for Conor, because it is a doctor stoppage, otherwise he would he lost by knock out.

He didn't look bad for the first minute, until he tried that stupid guillotine. But he had to try something, because his gas tank was already empty and was already losing.
Breaking his leg ended up good for Conor, because it is a doctor stoppage, otherwise he would he lost by knock out.
it wasn't an "empty gas tank" he broke his leg when he made a leg kick poirie and poirie made a block. that's how conor broke his leg(

He looked terrible. Kicked Dustin couple of times and after 90 seconds he went into panic mode for a takedown. Elite striker my ass. Been taken down and dominated. Fauled couple of times and his butt licker Herb Dean haven't seen nothing. Pathetic as always.

Conor coming out and throwing kicks, bouncing around, got people thinking he was back to "Normal." Just look how relaxed Dustin looked, he patiently let Conor waste his energy, then threw some combos and it only took a few seconds for Conor to panic and clinch. All of Conor's offense looked forced and tense, not relaxed, McGregor knew Poirier had enough pop to really hurt him, and it showed.

McGregor knew he's not dealing with the slow, plodding Nate or short limbed Mendes and other "midgets" he faced. Conor was anything but relaxed and confident. His trash tank was a way to convince himself, that he had a chance.

I keep hearing analysts and fighters alike saying Conor just got mauled by Poirier in this last fight, but in watching it back, it doesn't seem that way. Conor in fact won the first two minutes of Round 1. Dustin won the second two minutes, but not as dominantly as some claim, imo. He was hitting Conor with GnP, but not all of it connected and go back and watch how many solid blows (elbows, upkicks, punches) Conor landed on Dustin, definitely affecting Dustin.

Conor did end up getting out of that position, as well, not a small feat and was on the attack right after. I don't know; a fourth go-round may be worth doing. Flame way. Thank you.
I agree and have no clue how Cecil Peoples and his twin brother had 10-8’s on the cards.

Yes Conor is a slime ball and all that but that was in no way a 10-8 on any planet unless they were counting the busted ankle as a knockdown somehow.

He didn't look terrible but the fact that he was still out gunned by Dustin in the 1 round he is suppose to come out red hot in showed that he was most likely going to be finished later in the fight.

If Conor ain't dominating or winning the beginning of a fight, chances are he loses.
See Mendes fight Rd 1 please.

See Mendes fight Rd 1 please.
That Mendes fight was half a decade ago against Mendes who came off 1 week fight camp. 2021 Conor at LW is an entirely different prospect who is fighting a well prepared Poirier who starched him last fight but yeah, completely comparable scenarios.

Conor was using the same plan as for their first fight 7 years ago. Shows both of their trajectory when Poirier is today a different fighter completely. Those spin kicks were landing, but didn't have much affect. Low kicks were hard. Conor won the early goings.

Dustin started to get the timing for those kicks and landed with hard punches in a couple of back-to-back exchanges. Made Conor clinch.

Then the clinch portion and the guillotine, which was the decisive mistake of the fight. Put him on his back, from where Poirier started doing damage. Those elbows were good, but Dustin's GnP was more damaging. Dustin was winning from top.

Grabbed Dustin's glove and was able to stand up. Conor was still looking fresh at that point, but going into the 2nd still favors Poirier as the cardio guy.

Conrat looked terrible. This was the first time in his life that he was scared to box someone and didn't put pressure.
The knockout in the second fight has messed up his mind.
He is scared to be knocked out again.
He was also scared for the leg kicks.

Conrat without pressure will be pieced up.

Well you re not completely wrong TS
It was a competitive round, where DP won it 10-9 clearly
If we remove the injury from the equation, i doubt the judges would score it a 10-8
That said, Mcgregor was not winning that fight, injury or no injury

Back