Valve Handheld: Steam Deck

@Wrath of Foamy I have to make a correction to the above. There is no 256GB Oled version, only 512 and 1TB. I could have sworn I saw a 256 Oled version. I must have looked at the store page 20 times since Vavle posted it. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd scream Mandela Effect, but I guess I saw what I wanted to see lol

@Wrath of Foamy I have to make a correction to the above. There is no 256GB Oled version, only 512 and 1TB. I could have sworn I saw a 256 Oled version. I must have looked at the store page 20 times since Vavle posted it. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd scream Mandela Effect, but I guess I saw what I wanted to see lol

Thanks for the update mate.

System looks great, but no Game Pass?

I'd like to play Fallout 76 with my family, so this may be an issue...

Thanks for the update mate.

System looks great, but no Game Pass?

I'd like to play Fallout 76 with my family, so this may be an issue...

You can play Game Pass stuff but you'll have to stream it unless you want to install Windows on it

I looked it up and from what I've seen Fallout 76 looks like it doesn't have cross progression. That's wild in 2023.

If it was an SP game I would understand but for an MP game like that it makes no sense.

I've sunk hundreds of hours into 76 on Game Pass, with a level 280 character...
I usually can use saves from Gamepass, or pirated titles, onto games I buy on Steam. I do the latter quite often to see if I actually like the game, or if it launched in a healthy state, before buying.

This is from Bethesda official.

"Your characters, progress, and items will all be available to you whether you play Fallout 76 through the the Xbox App for PC or Steam.

However, if you already have Fallout 76 on one platform, you will not be able to transfer your Atoms or Fallout 1st membership balance between the Xbox App and Steam. Atoms you earn or purchase are only available on the platform you initially receive them."

I don't understand why your saves/progression transfer, but not the atoms you bought. How on earth, outside greed, could they have separated these two things?

I really want to buy one of these for traveling. I have a Switch Lite but I struggle to find games I like. The thought of playing Sekiro on an airplane is f'in sweet

Got my deck in but it’s a dud. Won’t power on at all.

Sending it back, thankfully the “limited edition” is still in stock lol.

Got my deck in but it’s a dud. Won’t power on at all.

Sending it back, thankfully the “limited edition” is still in stock lol.
Ahhh shitty. Hopefully they send it quicker

I was looking forward to your breakdown. I'm especially curious about the trackpads. I've watched a number of reviews, and it's been mentioned that they are improved, but not a lot of detail. Hopefully you can shed more light.

Proper Windows support is coming, and I can't imagine navigating it via touch screen and thumbsticks, like other handhelds have to do.

I like the implementation of the trackpads on the Deck, sets it apart. The Lenovo handheld has those cool detachable controllers, which can turn one into a mouse, but the whole purpose of these devices for me is to 99.9% use/hold them like a PSP/Switch.

The Deck's were serviceable to navigate the OS, but they always felt like ass overall.

Ahhh shitty. Hopefully they send it quicker

I was looking forward to your breakdown. I'm especially curious about the trackpads. I've watched a number of reviews, and it's been mentioned that they are improved, but not a lot of detail. Hopefully you can shed more light.

Proper Windows support is coming, and I can't imagine navigating it via touch screen and thumbsticks, like other handhelds have to do.

I like the implementation of the trackpads on the Deck, sets it apart. The Lenovo handheld has those cool detachable controllers, which can turn one into a mouse, but the whole purpose of these devices for me is to 99.9% use/hold them like a PSP/Switch.

The Deck's were serviceable to navigate the OS, but they always felt like ass overall.
I can report that It’s significantly lighter and the sticks feel much improved. Sadly that’s about it lol.

For those ingrained in the Xbox ecosystem such as Game Pass subscribers, it is probably preferable to buy the competitor to the Steam Deck, the Asus ROG Ally. It comes with Windows 11 Home natively:

There are two versions: Ally ($399) or Ally Extreme ($599). The Ally performs a bit below the Steam Deck ($399) or its OLED revision ($549), but its hardware is more advanced which will have benefits to the battery and temps. The Ally Extreme is overwhelmingly more powerful while being more advanced. In fact, outside only VRAM bandwidth, the Ally Extreme is significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro.
ROG Ally GPU specs
ROG Ally Extreme GPU specs
Steam Deck GPU specs
Steam Deck OLED GPU specs
Steam Deck / Steam Deck OLED
ASUS ROG Ally
ASUS ROG Ally Extreme
Pixel Rate (Gigapixels/s)
25.6​
20.0​
86.4​
Texture Rate (Textels/s)
51.2​
40.0​
129.6​
Processing Power (TFLOP)
1.638​
2.560​
8.294​
Memory Bandwidth (GB/s)
88.0​
51.2​
51.2​

Asus ROG Ally vs. Steam Deck: here’s how they compare

1702638494466.png
1702636859955.png

PC Gamer: Steam Deck review vs. ASUS ROG Ally review

MMORPG: ASUS ROG Ally (Z1 Extreme) Review

Last edited:
Anyone here who uses the official dock for the steam deck want to help me out with an issue?

I can't get my xbox elite controller to work with the dock unless it is plugged in. I've connected and reconnected multiple times but without fail within 5-10mins the controller disconnects from the deck and stops working so I have to connect it via usb and play that way.