Video: Key Bridge in Maryland collapses after being struck by container ship

You realize gross tonnage when used to describe ships is a measure of volume and not weight right?

Also gross tonnage isn't necessarily the actual volume, but the applicable volume for regulations of that vessels size.

Certain spaces don't count towards the vssls gross tonnage.

Yes there is a seperate measure that accounts for engineering spaces called NRT. But GRT is meant for commerically usable enclosed spaces.

It wouldn't be the first time that Maersk has run afoul of regulations. It's another case of companies too big to fail. Everybody needs the things these companies deliver and they will tend to overlook the things they do. Regulators might occasionally smack their fingers but there will never be any real consequences.

Maersk had been sanctioned for firing a Whistleblower who reported safety problems.

My buddy has worked on Maersk ships, hes even worked for the captain played by Tom hanks...let's just say he's not surprised by any of this.

My buddy has worked on Maersk ships, hes even worked for the captain played by Tom hanks...let's just say he's not surprised by any of this.
It's pretty much the same for many companies. They will talk about safety and have lots of meetings and rule books but when push comes to shove, it's get the job done and safety be damned.

yep, the pressure to reduce costs is so great so naturally the technical managers implement cost cutting measures towards maintenance which affect the lifespan and reliability of the onaboard equipment and machinery and and crewing departments do the same continually looking for cheaper and cheaper crew. right now that's Indian people but I am old enough to remember when Masters and chief engineers from Europe started getting replaced by cheaper Filipinos. now the Filipinos are getting replaced by cheaper options.

yep, the pressure to reduce costs is so great so naturally the technical managers implement cost cutting measures towards maintenance which affect the lifespan and reliability of the onaboard equipment and machinery and and crewing departments do the same continually looking for cheaper and cheaper crew. right now that's Indian people but I am old enough to remember when Masters and chief engineers from Europe started getting replaced by cheaper Filipinos. now the Filipinos are getting replaced by cheaper options.
It's a no brainer for the shipping companies as long as they can get by with the limited liability based on the value of the ship and cargo rather than paying for the actual damage done.

Last edited:
Back