Want to open a restaurant with my settlement money

Just make sure and specialize in Mulligatawny soup. If you need a recipe, I can give you one I found in this old dresser-drawer someone gave me because mine got stolen by two street toughs wearing a ribbon. I refuse to wear the ribbon, personally.

Where else have restaurants been successful serving only soup? If there aren't any you won't have a business model to learn from in which case I wouldn't do it.
Souper salad and Sweet tomatoes are chains.... but costs millions to open and 95% fail rate. Personally, I'd give my money to Wall Street, learn to fish and have a nice day

Do only 3 soups. Quality is better than variety

45K?

maybe you could open a restaurant with that 15 years ago

these days you just got yourself about 5 months worth of gas money

for the love of god, don't start a fucking restaurant. if you do be prepared to lose money until you gain enough traction to break even or fold shop. it's a cutthroat business with slim profit margins and a lot of overhead costs.

45K wont even open a place. You have to build it out... all health coded stainless..one grill is 10K... get employees..insurances...
45K?

maybe you could open a restaurant with that 15 years ago

these days you just got yourself about 5 months worth of gas money

Oh shit didn't even see that... 45K wont even buy the commercial kitchen equipment... let alone furniture build out employees insurance and lease to open doors

need half million minimum

Restaurants are a lot of work. More than I think anyone can comprehend until they junp into it.

Also, you live in a blue state, and I would be weary that the government would shut down my business any time covid number spike for at least the next several years.

Restaurants are a really tough business. I know several people who opened one with their retirement savings. With little to no experience, they lost it all. My best friend bought a shitty old building and opened a bar. He was really experienced in flipping properties and had tended bar then managed several clubs for decades first. His was a great success. Have fun!

Hard pass

invest in some stocks that are super low risk and will guarantee a return

Honesty , I’d put that 45K into Ethereum

in 10 years, it’ll triple at minimum.

Oh shit didn't even see that... 45K wont even buy the commercial kitchen equipment... let alone furniture build out employees insurance and lease to open doors

need half million minimum

This I completely disagree with.
Used equipment is the way to go, for a soup operation, its not going to need much. Like, trivially little.
For some perspective- I bought my girlfriend a Blodgett commercial convection oven for $400 from a guy going out of business. It was $7000 new.

With a little resourcefulness, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, you can come in WAY WAY WAY WAY below new startup cost for restaurants.
Way.

Restaurants are a really tough business. I know several people who opened one with their retirement savings. With little to no experience, they lost it all. My best friend bought a shitty old building and opened a bar. He was really experienced in flipping properties and had tended bar then managed several clubs for decades first. His was a great success. Have fun!
Booze and soup are a big difference. Ones needed ones not.

Hard pass

invest in some stocks that are super low risk and will guarantee a return

Honesty , I’d put that 45K into Ethereum

in 10 years, it’ll triple at minimum.
even 10% which is quite normal for 401K holders in stocks is that after 10.... and 1 million in 30. Totally brainless. You usually wont beat Wall Street on Main Street unless lucky AF

Bro, take that money and either pay off some debts you might have or put it in an ETF and save it for retirement. If you use it to start a business there’s a very high chance you’ll lose it all in a year or two.

even 10% which is quite normal for 401K holders in stocks is that after 10.... and 1 million in 30. Totally brainless. You usually wont beat Wall Street on Main Street unless lucky AF
Or you’re Nancy Pelosi. Somehow never loses on a stock

Looks like I'll finally be getting a settlement from the city after the incident that happened when I was riding the light rail here in Seattle.

It's not an ungodly sum but the most money I've ever gotten in one shot. I believe once all fees and deductions are paid I'll be getting $45k.

It's so tempting to go down the hedonistic rabbit hole when you run into a chunk of change. I already have friends making plans with my money. One of my friends who goes to Mexico often tells me I should take a month vacation to Tijuana, where with my money I can bang a different hot Mexican Chick every night and spend the day on the beach where I can have coke hand delivered to me on the cheap

Sounds fun if I was 20 years old again but that time is gone.

At the moment I'm thinking of opening a small restaurant specializing in soup. I love soup and think it's one of the most underrated food staples here in America, and particularly Seattle. I want to make 30 kinds of soup to serve daily. And to be paired with a variety of breads.

I would have to do some more planning but I feel a little tug in my heart to do this. First time in my life taking a big risk. I know I can fail but that's the point. Can't always play it safe.

is that 45k after u pay out the lawyer?

rest biz is notoriously brutal money pit.

maybe better to invest it?

Back