War Room Lounge v159: Starbucks vs Dunkin Donuts

Who is the ONE TRUE™ coffee

• Starbucks

• Dunkin Donuts

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, the Kyle Rittenhouse stuff really has me conflicted. Obviously, that thread is no place for uncertainty or nuanced discussions. But it really does feel like a shitty situation all around. And more than a critique of right wing brutality, I think it's a tale about the dangers of liberal gun ownership and carrying.

That is, I don't think Rittenhouse is definitely a bad guy. With the information currently available, I think it's more likely that he's just a dumb kid with some emotional and social delays. He got chased, a gun went off 20 yards away, he likely thought the gunshot came from the guy chasing him, he panicked, and he returned fire, killing a guy. The mob went after him, he fell, and he defended himself from imminent harm by firing carelessly at his pursuers.

My takeaways as of now are that the cops who encouraged him and others to form armed posses are more to blame than Rittenhouse or the protesters. Ultimately, I think it's likely that he gets some minor charges and serves time served. It's possible that he could serve decades in prison. My preference would be that he serves something like concurrent 10-year sentences on something like voluntary manslaughter. But, contrary to my initial instincts on the case, I now feel like this will inevitably be unsatisfying to everyone. Whereas if he was white nationalist, alt-right-er, or even a 3%er, it would feel more vindicating.

You can see why tropes are so powerful among them: the appeal to simplicity. I'll be damned if the average policy solution to a problem doesn't seem to boil down to either (A) do nothing and it will fix itself or (B) deny the existence of the problem.

Yeah, I think reduction is the single biggest hallmark of the right.

Ok I have a better understanding of where you’re coming from now.

I agree there are systemic issues at play that need to be worked on. But I disagree that, “Police violence happens so often and with impunity because that is the point... It's okay to murder an innocent civilian so long as that officer gets home safely.“ That is absolutely not the culture I was trained in or work in. I know there are departments like that, and there needs to be reform there, but it’s not “the point.” I’ve long lobbied for federal standards for training and greater federal oversight and civilian oversight boards for local and state police. I’ve mentioned in here before how I might leave the profession if I had to move because I don’t want to wind up in a department with a bad culture. So I know it’s a problem, but I think there are different issues in different places.

I’m all about jailing killer cops, I’ve jailed cops for much less. I think most everyone can get behind that.

“Antifa security forces” was not worded well or clearly enough. I just used antifa as kind of a catch all. I’m sure you’ve seen just like there are people at the protests with shirts marked “medic” there are also people there labeled “security” on their shirts and there’s been instances of them attacking other civilians. The lack of organizational structure is exactly the problem here, no one vets/vouches/oversees these people and you wind up with violent people looking to cause trouble wearing shirts marked “security” or “medic.” With no organizational structure there’s no one to set a coherent list of demands, no one to bargain with, no one to set standards of behavior for the group and so on. It’s why these protests have been such a failure at accomplishing anything besides chaos.

The problem is that decentralized protests, especially black movements, are a response to the government's systematic destruction of movements throughout the history of the country. Claiming to be the leader of BLM is a fast track to being dead, and we have historical proof to be wary of. Centralized leadership simply CAN'T happen at this point

Man, the Kyle Rittenhouse stuff really has me conflicted. Obviously, that thread is no place for uncertainty or nuanced discussions. But it really does feel like a shitty situation all around. And more than a critique of right wing brutality, I think it's a tale about the dangers of liberal gun ownership and carrying.

That is, I don't think Rittenhouse is definitely a bad guy. With the information currently available, I think it's more likely that he's just a dumb kid with some emotional and social delays. He got chased, a gun went off 20 yards away, he likely thought the gunshot came from the guy chasing him, he panicked, and he returned fire, killing a guy. The mob went after him, he fell, and he defended himself from imminent harm by firing carelessly at his pursuers.

My takeaways as of now are that the cops who encouraged him and others to form armed posses are more to blame than Rittenhouse or the protesters. Ultimately, I think it's likely that he gets some minor charges and serves time served. It's possible that he could serve decades in prison. My preference would be that he serves something like concurrent 10-year sentences on something like voluntary manslaughter. But, contrary to my initial instincts on the case, I now feel like this will inevitably be unsatisfying to everyone. Whereas if he was white nationalist, alt-right-er, or even a 3%er, it would feel more vindicating.

It looks like his Mom brought him there too.

Based on the charges I think they might have something that isn't public yet but if what's out there is what we got they definitely overcharged.

We are gout.
tumblr_ngn2l9o1ch1tdbwduo1_400.gif

Anyone notice laundry sanitizer is completely gone. You can’t even get it online anymore. I understand a temporary shortage but it’s been months now.

Based on the charges I think they might have something that isn't public yet but if what's out there is what we got they definitely overcharged.

Good lord, I really hope the rubes make bad parenting a central issue given that, for one of the first times, it's actually relevant.

BTW didn't you say you liked NewsRadio? It's free on Roku. The video quality is terrible and the laugh track is way overused, at least in the pilot. But I love me some Stephen Root. And I appreciate Lovitz and Andy Dick more than most.

Thanks! But I think people mistakenly believe that I'm looking for a gaming system. I just wanna watch 4K movies and do some video editing. Should I still get a desktop just for that?

Would you watch the 4K movies on the laptop or plug it into another display/TV? I can't imagine there'd be anywhere near as much benefit on a really small screen.
Building a desktop will always offer more bang for buck and upgrade options. Depends how much the convenience and portability are worth to you.
I did think you were saying you wanted to play games at 4K though, which even high end gaming laptops struggle with. The lower power limit and frequency reduction of the mobile/notebook GPUs means they are effectively equivalent to a desktop GPU from the tier below. This difference increases as you get to the high end GPUs, which really use the extra watts.
The video editing benefits from GPU acceleration/performance (ie in Premier Pro or After Effects) currently taper off after the RTX2060 though (depending on the amount of effects you use), so for video editing the difference is less noticeable.

Yeah. Overcharged to hell. I hope the county DA isn’t trying to make a name for themselves here.

The skateboard killing and guy getting his arm shoot off were clearly defending himself from getting killed. Unless he’s guilty of murder in the first one, then it’s felony murder I guess

All of them played a stupid game and won their stupid prize

Would you watch the 4K movies on the laptop or plug it into another display/TV? I can't imagine there'd be anywhere near as much benefit on a really small screen.
Building a desktop will always offer more bang for buck and upgrade options. Depends how much the convenience and portability are worth to you.
I did think you were saying you wanted to play games at 4K though, which even high end gaming laptops struggle with. The lower power limit and frequency reduction of the mobile/notebook GPUs means they are effectively equivalent to a desktop GPU from the tier below. This difference increases as you get to the high end GPUs, which really use the extra watts.
The video editing benefits from GPU acceleration/performance (ie in Premier Pro or After Effects) currently taper off after the RTX2060 though (depending on the amount of effects you use), so for video editing the difference is less noticeable.
Thanks. Curious to know why ya assumed I was talking about gaming.

Good lord, I really hope the rubes make bad parenting a central issue given that, for one of the first times, it's actually relevant.

BTW didn't you say you liked NewsRadio? It's free on Roku. The video quality is terrible and the laugh track is way overused, at least in the pilot. But I love me some Stephen Root. And I appreciate Lovitz and Andy Dick more than most.

Love that show and a shout out to Dave Foley.

I think the Kyles of America are taken (consciously or unconsciously) with a deeply rooted cultural narrative that places positive value on violence, particularly vigilante violence. It's an affirmation of masculinity, an affirmation of control, really just a resounding statement that it is acceptable for reactionary men (especially white) in America to kill people for the sake of maintaining the control they intrinsically deserve to have over others. This is why you get people that sound not only triumphant when something like this happens, but downright envious of those responsible. There are, imo, a lot of people out there right now wishing they were Kyle Rittenhouse. Just my own musings on this.

Yeah. Overcharged to hell. I hope the county DA isn’t trying to make a name for themselves here.

The skateboard killing and guy getting his arm shoot off were clearly defending himself from getting killed. Unless he’s guilty of murder in the first one, then it’s felony murder I guess

Yeah how that chase started will be a big fact.

I also saw he didn't get into the marines and had trouble at school and people think there might be something there but I haven't seen anything incriminating

I fully expect him to get off on everything except, perhaps, a minor gun charge of some sort
And it is gonna get wild after the verdict

Thanks. Curious to know why ya assumed I was talking about gaming.

Probably just because you said, "gaming laptop", whereas high end productivity laptops are usually categorised as "desktop replacement".

It's an affirmation of masculinity, an affirmation of control, really just a resounding statement that it is acceptable for reactionary men (especially white) in America to kill people for the sake of maintaining the control they intrinsically deserve to have over others.

Inner city shootings over control of turf and the people in that zone would like to have a word with you over the especially white part

Will agree with the rest on the glorification of “taking care of business” being seen as masculine and the problem with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back