War Room Lounge v165: Exclusive Looka? Baby you have a gusseted carrot crotch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, and I think (haven't looked at recent polls, though) that a strong majority of the country also does. But the thing is, without a huge increase in aid to state and local gov'ts (which is going to be a hard sell politically), they're getting the shit defunded out of them by necessity unless 2020 is another wave election.

Not asking, but OK. Talking about stuff like this: "They're one step away from being Republicans and most of them, without hesitation, would vote as such if Democrats actually moved left or a new leftist party emerged" or asserting that Biden would veto single payer, etc. It's precisely that kind of thing that keeps getting Republicans elected, which is the obstacle to any real left-ward move in policy, which is then justification for more refusal to vote (and voting third party is the same as sitting out).
It’s actually very encouraging to me that the left or more specifically the far left are disenfranchising themselves.

Yeah, you're right. We got to the point of the ol' "blood is on your hands if you don't vote for Biden" part of the argument, and I'm just gonna bow out.

But, food for thought: Several various studies show that Medicare for All would save money in the long term over our current federal health care spending.

"Yeah, we're at the point when you say that 2+2=4 instead of 5 so I'm going to bail."

No studies show that M4A would do anything other than greatly increase federal-gov't spending on healthcare. Some studies--that I'm skeptical of--show that the country as a whole could spend less. The point proponents have made is that many or most people would save more not paying for insurance than they would pay in increased taxes. I'm not completely sold on "most," though it's possible.

When you say child SS, is it unconditional? Every parent gets a check for every kid they have? Is there a cap?

Unconditional, definitely no cap (the thought of one is horrifying to me).

I think voting third party in some cases is not only fine but could be a good idea. If there's an actually good third party with actually interesting and useful ideas(which I have yet to see in practice) that siphons enough votes from the major party whose voters most overlap with the voters of the third party it could force the major party to adapt and take on some of the ideas of the third party. But here the stakes are too high and also there are no good third parties.

Even aside from the strategy, which I'm not sold on, do we want a system where a passionate group of 5% of the population plays kingmaker and controls the agenda? That seems like a bad idea. I don't think it's a real threat, though.

It’s actually very encouraging to me that the left or more specifically the far left are disenfranchising themselves.

Yeah, I'll bet.

Except I'm far from privileged.

Like I said above, the Supreme Court issue is the single biggest issue that lingers on my mind. The fact remains that I'm still incredibly pissed off that Obama was blocked from his right to appoint a Justice, and Kavanaugh eventually getting the seat. If there is one thing that might make me plug my nose in the moment of truth in the booth, it's that.

Yeah, you're right. We got to the point of the ol' "blood is on your hands if you don't vote for Biden" part of the argument, and I'm just gonna bow out.

But, food for thought: Several various studies show that Medicare for All would save money in the long term over our current federal health care spending.
The way elections effect people differently is privilege
Again, going back to my example, the Native community is (broadly speaking and imo) looking down the barrel of policies that turn us back toward Termination. I'm not a registered tribal member, so I don't have those rights to potentially lose; that's my privilege going into this election. I could sit this election out completely and be unaffected in this particular regard. But I care about my community, my family, and my friends who have much less of a choice in the matter. To them, the Trump administration is an actively antagonistic force that is trying to weaken or strip away rights and essential services.

@Gandhi @Prokofievian @Lead
Need opinions here

Batman-DKR-BJJ-Gi-front-cropped.jpg

I feel like I’ve seen someone at my gym already where that. Someone else has a dragon ball z one. I am a fan of navy blue in terms of gis.

When you say child SS, is it unconditional? Every parent gets a check for every kid they have? Is there a cap?

I think voting third party in some cases is not only fine but could be a good idea. If there's an actually good third party with actually interesting and useful ideas(which I have yet to see in practice) that siphons enough votes from the major party whose voters most overlap with the voters of the third party it could force the major party to adapt and take on some of the ideas of the third party. But here the stakes are too high and also there are no good third parties.
You need a proportional representation model in your elected bodies before voting 3rd party is worth a fuck. I suggest you start there.

Again, going back to my example, the Native community is (broadly speaking and imo) looking down the barrel of policies that turn us back toward Termination. I'm not a registered tribal member, so I don't have those rights to potentially lose; that's my privilege going into this election. I could sit this election out completely and be unaffected in this particular regard. But I care about my community, my family, and my friends who have much less of a choice in the matter. To them, the Trump administration is an actively antagonistic force that is trying to weaken or strip away rights and essential services.

Are you subtly trying to tell me that my actions on this forum and elsewhere are hurting your family and community?

At least in an election year.

Lesson: exploit advantages while they last. Canada has been using this to punch above its weight since it began.

AkA Canadians have big dick energy.

118952875_3595641007114992_7123764636818464885_n.jpg

100470526_10222401659687403_8180418685916151808_o.jpg

I've seen her run off crackheads all by herself. We spent the night talking and she said "If I break up with my bf you're the first person I'm coming to see" My response? "I hope your asshole knows morse code because I'm going to write my favorite Shel Silverstein poem with my tongue"

Baller line btw.

Absolutely not true and as a writer that's a major insult my friend. My tattoos aren't worthless either and thats a silly comparison. Nothing is worthless first of all. Meaning is not defined by the one giving it out, it's defined by the ones interpreting it.

So like it or not douchebag, A lot of people actually respect you fuckface, so when you go on your dickhead tangents it's actually pretty hurtful to some good posters here. Don't work on me because I ain't got no shame but you DO NOT get to define how what you say is interpreted.

THAR SHE BLOWS !!!

gavin-mcinnes-red-eye.jpg

bork1}

You need a proportional representation model in your elected bodies before voting 3rd party is worth a fuck. I suggest you start there.

But why? Like, to make that happen would require a pretty radical remake of our system (we'd probably have to move to a nationally elected Congress with no House districts and just 100 senators without the two-per-state thing). People might be open to that, but what would the benefit be? Just allowing people to feel like their voting choice is a better reflection of their oh-so-interesting personalities? Anything tangible?

What I think might help our situation more would be some kind of new regional level of gov't, combining a few states, and giving all elected officials from those states some responsibility and accountability. I think that could encourage alliances that cross party lines and put more variety into the major parties.

Whoever is logged into the jack account is arguing in favor of the 2 party system in America. This is something. I feel I should tag an admin lol.

118952875_3595641007114992_7123764636818464885_n.jpg

100470526_10222401659687403_8180418685916151808_o.jpg

I've seen her run off crackheads all by herself. We spent the night talking and she said "If I break up with my bf you're the first person I'm coming to see" My response? "I hope your asshole knows morse code because I'm going to write my favorite Shel Silverstein poem with my tongue"

Baller line btw.

Absolutely not true and as a writer that's a major insult my friend. My tattoos aren't worthless either and thats a silly comparison. Nothing is worthless first of all. Meaning is not defined by the one giving it out, it's defined by the ones interpreting it.

So like it or not douchebag, A lot of people actually respect you fuckface, so when you go on your dickhead tangents it's actually pretty hurtful to some good posters here. Don't work on me because I ain't got no shame but you DO NOT get to define how what you say is interpreted.

(Not hating btw, I would be into proportionally big girls if I wasn’t so intimidate by them)

That is certainly a unique perspective that I suppose I am privileged for not having. That's fair to say.

But when nearly 100 million Americans are saddled with medical debts, and the health care industry makes up nearly a fifth of our entire GDP, a massive change is needed.

I think there are numerous fundamental issues with Biden, including ignoring a significant amount of his "side". The supreme court issue legitimately has a chance of weighing on my conscious in the booth, but otherwise, I'm not enthused. I don't think anyone really is.

And, despite the "vote for Biden or you're a bad person" nonsense, I still believe that votes should be earned. Hillary didn't win on "I'm not Trump" and I genuinely fear that Biden won't either.

<31>
Unconditional, definitely no cap (the thought of one is horrifying to me).
I don't like the idea of a cap either, the only benefit is that it would make the policy more politically feasible. Otherwise right wingers will rally against it with the image of the welfare queen who farms babies for government cheese

The unconditional part is the one I disagree with more, though I would much prefer unconditional child SS over the status quo. In Brazil they have a program like that called Bolse Familia and its conditional on vaccination and school attendance rate which I think is reasonable though in America you'd have to include a generous religious exemption for the vaccine part for it to be even remotely viable
Even aside from the strategy, which I'm not sold on, do we want a system where a passionate group of 5% of the population plays kingmaker and controls the agenda? That seems like a bad idea. I don't think it's a real threat, though.
I'm really playing Devil's Advocate here, I don't think the scenario I described is really likely. Most third parties are generally shit and not worth voting for even if they were viable. Perhaps they are shit because they are not viable therefore anyone who actually is serious about politics and getting things done won't join a third party in the US.

I'm okay with the possibility of kingmaker politics since it could lead to policies that are good but otherwise politically difficult to pass otherwise. Imagine a Georgist third party for instance.
The scenario I described, which is admittedly a wild hypothetical, is under the assumption of a two party system. Under proportional representation third party voting makes much more sense.
What I think might help our situation more would be some kind of new regional level of gov't, combining a few states, and giving all elected officials from those states some responsibility and accountability. I think that could encourage alliances that cross party lines and put more variety into the major parties.
<mma4>

I never really looked into the "Cuties" controversy about Netflix and pedophilia, because I kind of presumed it was cynical pearl clutching by conservatives, but I didn't realize until I just read about the ordeal just how accurate my assumptions were. Even my somewhat conciliatory assumptions - that the show was validating child pageantry in a way similar to Honey Boo Boo - were giving the controversy too much credit, as the film explicitly explores the damage and perversity of child pageantry. So the whole thing was just a propaganda campaign from conservatives who lack a platform without fleeting culture war battlefields.

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/09/cuti...mcH6zAZEY7ya2ZLDSamXaaW2FiHpQvp3875Xx03_kLNkU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back