Television Was David Harbour speech in the SAG awards - Pretentious or Amazing?

Was David Harbour speech in the SAG awards - Pretentious or Amazing?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For some reason this speech came up in my YT algorithms today. I haven't seen it in a while and It reminded me in what a great speech it was.

I know there are people who would think otherwise.

How about you folks?

winona-ryder-made-these-22-faces-during-a-speech--2-2051-1485814290-0_dblbig.jpg

Did she ever explain what was her problem?

Cringe.

The whole industry is based on narcissism and exclusivity lol. It is only words for the masses to eat up, and then pretend it is anything else than what it has always been.
Now go watch, pay their bills, and make believe Harbour is going to somehow be there for you.

Unironically critiquing society's narcism while at an award show that's all about you and your friends patting each other on the back about how great you are in front of a TV audience then lecturing about how important your work is... it skews a bit pretentious.

And while I've enjoyed Stranger Things, I think he's good in it, I'd agree that it has depth and something to say, it's not exactly The 400 Blows or The Bicycle Thief. It does boil down to him waving a sword at a man holding a tennis ball on a stick pretending to be a monster.

HOWEVER; the kind of person who tunes in for Hollywood's pretentious, masterbatory, self-congratulation show and then clutches thier pearls when it's pretentious, masterbatory, and self congratulating, is a much bigger asshole than the people accepting the award.

Last edited:
Unironically critiquing society's narcism while at an award show that's all about your and your friends patting each other on the back about how great you are in front of a TV audience then lecturing about how important your work is... it skews a bit pretentious.

And while I've enjoyed Stranger Things, I think he's good in it, I'd agree that it has depth and something to say, it's not exactly The 400 Blows or The Bicycle Thief. It does boil down to him waving a sword at a man holding a tennis ball on a stick pretending to be a monster.

HOWEVER; the kind of person who tunes in for Hollywood's pretentious, masterbatory, self-congratulation show and then clutches thier pearls when it's pretentious, masterbatory, and self congratulating, is a much bigger asshole than the people accepting the award.
You ever been to a corporate event, or outing, and they bring some speaker to speak to everyone first, about how they are changing the whole industry, or saving lives? Whatever it may be? The awards reminds me of something like that, except instead of rolling their eyes like I would with my colleagues, they are cheering, and drinking the kool-aid.

Now imagine people watching your corporate events, and them cheering too? I don't get it lol

Back