Was Nate Marquardt an elite WW-MW?

Would have liked to see Nate got a shot at Franklin before Anderson arrived
That's an interesting fight.

I'd lean towards Franklin but PED infused Nate was the definition of violent. Even his standing guillotine over Jeremy Horn was nasty. He's ended a few hype trains in devastating fashion as well.

When he returned to the UFC he had mixed to poor results but anybody that watched him in the mid to late 2000s knows he was an excellent fighter.

Anderson Silva was just God tier at that time.

I though you was a kid but maybe you are actually mentally handicapped as you dont even understand what it is said. I referenced that time line because Anderson and GSP were champions during such timeline and by your simpleton definition a fighter who was never the absolute best has not the right to be called elite. Therefore I asked you, regardless of Marquardt, there is any WW or MW during that time who can be considered elite? How many of them?

Given your definition of elite and your take on Marquardt as simly "above average", you will have a hard time to support any WW/MW from that time apart from Silva and GSP had the right to be considered elite without falling in gross contradictions

Marquard was as close to the best as almost any WW-MW from that time and his record at WW-MW during a decade prove so. To back that statement I bring you his long time top ranking, his many tittle eliminators, title shots and belts during a whole decade.....in other words...facts

What you bring to support yours? "nobody ever thought he was elite besides you"
Well that's the best you can do I guess so it's cool.

Rory MacDonald off the top of my head. One example I gave you in 10 seconds.

Rory MacDonald off the top of my head. One example I gave you in 10 seconds.

lol the bro of GSP, casually. A guy who debut a decade after Nate did btw. OK casual,

- Rory has not only lost to the champions, but also against Wonderboy, Lima, Condit... and deserved the L vs 41 years old Fith just last year. After way less years in the sport than Nate had when he got in a losing skid.

- Even relative to Marquardt, they both have Maia and Woodley as common opponents and Nate - "the above average" - certainly beat them in more convincing fashion than Rory - "the elite" - did

- Both Nate and Rory were regular sparring partners of GSP btw. I would suggest to check what was GSPs opinion on Marquardt's caliber of fighter

By the way, of course Rory was elite, it's just funny how you exposed with this single example how solid your takes are regarding "elite" and "above average" lol

Last edited:
lol the bro of GSP, casually. OK casual,

- Rory has not only lost to the champions, but also against Wonderboy, Lima, Condit... and deserved the L vs 41 years old Fith just last year. After way less years in the sport than Nate had when he got in a losing skid.

- Even relative to Marquardt, they both have Maia are Woodley as common opponents and Nate - "the above average" - certainly beat them in more convincing fashion than Rory - "the elite" - did

- Both Nate and Rory were regular sparring partners of GSP btw. I would suggest to check what was GSPs opinion on Marquardt's caliber of fighter

By the way, of course Rory was elite, it's just funny how you exposed with this single example how solid your takes are regarding "elite" and "above average" lol

Literally, you've just chose his most recent fights, not the prime Rory besides the Condit one. Something I purposely didn't do with Marquardt as it isn't relevant.

With your retarded logic. Marquardt is your "elite fighter" who lost to Alvey, Castillo, past it Vitor and Ferreira. Elite fighters don't have 19 losses bro.

See, I've came down to your level of debate, none of what I said makes sense as I can't compare a fighter past their prime to their record in their prime, you did exactly that with Rory.

If English isn't your first language, I respect that but at least read what I'm saying, try to understand it.

I'm not gonna reply anymore because I've spent way too much time arguing that Nate Marquardt isn't an elite fighter haha.

Literally, you've just chose his most recent fights, not the prime Rory besides the Condit one. Something I purposely didn't do with Marquardt as it isn't relevant.

With your retarded logic. Marquardt is your "elite fighter" who lost to Alvey, Castillo, past it Vitor and Ferreira. Elite fighters don't have 19 losses bro.

See, I've came down to your level of debate, none of what I said makes sense as I can't compare a fighter past their prime to their record in their prime, you did exactly that with Rory.

If English isn't your first language, I respect that but at least read what I'm saying, try to understand it.

I'm not gonna reply anymore because I've spent way too much time arguing that Nate Marquardt isn't an elite fighter haha.

Oh so you excuse Rory's losses for being out of his prime? I agree but then do so with Marquardt

Marquardt's prime (2004-2012) - Ws over Maia, Woodley, Kampmann, Misaki, Palhares, Leites* - 3 Ls to champions and tittle contenders only

Rory's prime (2010-2016?) - Ws over Maia, Woodley, Ellenberger, Saffiedine, past it BJ - 3 Ls to champions and tittle contenders only

One is elite in your book, the other is just above average...
It's cool man but as I said, you was gonna fall in blatant contradictions pretending such stance and here you have a gross one lol

Oh so you excuse Rory's losses for being out of his prime? I agree but then do so with Marquardt

Marquardt's prime (2004-2012) - Ws over Maia, Woodley, Kampmann, Misaki, Palhares, Leites* - 3 Ls to champions and tittle contenders only

Rory's prime (2010-2016?) - Ws over Maia, Woodley, Ellenberger, Saffiedine, past it BJ - 3 Ls to champions and tittle contenders only

One is elite in your book, the other is just above average...
It's cool man but as I said, you was gonna fall in gross contradictions pretending such stance and here you have a gross one lol

You called Marquardts prime 2006-2013 earlier? Conveniently you missed out the part where Marquardt went on a 3 fight skid to Lombard, Saffiedine and Ellenberger.

It's pretty clear you're changing your story each time whenever I fact check you so that's cool.

To summarise, given your examples.

There's Jacare and Romero, both elite.

Then there's Marquardt.

Agree with this post but to be fair, Okami outboxed him, he tried to follow Sonnen's blueprint but struggled. Nate's wrestling was underrated just like Okami's standup.
Marquardt had great outburst and great killer instinct as you say but often relied on getting the KO or shooting otherwise was prone to lose a decision in a standup fight.

I mean he was a WW-MW as he was in that range, as opposed to other MW contenders as Franklin, Sonnen, Belfort etc who would need to cut off a limb to compete at 170.
Marquardt dropped to WW and became champion right away KOing Woodley no less.
Beat Misaki, Maia, Palhares or Kampann who all went to be top ranked at WW too.
Marquardt himself didnt walk around heavier than many 170lbers today.

WW was deeper; Marquardt'd not get as many tittle eliminators as he did at 185 most likely, but in his prime he was certainly capable of making a run to the tittle shot at WW as well.
He was a blatant cheater though

Agree with everything you said here. Okami did have some underrated striking and had a nice clinch game for inflicting damage. Marquardt's ceiling at WW was high but he lost to Saffedine right after that thriller with Woodley. It was like you explained, marquardt was head hunting and Tarec was content to blast him with leg kicks to win the decision. I was convinced both would be elite WWs in the UFC but it didn't pan out.

You called Marquardts prime 2006-2013 earlier? Conveniently you missed out the part where Marquardt went on a 3 fight skid to Lombard, Saffiedine and Ellenberger.

It's pretty clear you're changing your story each time whenever I fact check you so that's cool.

To summarise, given your examples.

There's Jacare and Romero, both elite.

Then there's Marquardt.

wow man, you must be handicapped, not even joking. I already told you why I referenced the 2006.2013 tmeline, I will just copy paste it:

"I referenced that time line because Anderson and GSP were champions during such timeline and by your simpleton definition a fighter who was never the absolute best has not the right to be called elite. Therefore I asked you, regardless of Marquardt, there is any WW or MW during that time who can be considered elite? How many of them?"

At this point you still genuinely didnt get the point.:eek::eek::eek:

Marquard's prime started with his great performance vs Misaki and signing for the UFC briefly after that. The losses you referenced are about a decade after.

Do you know who was Rory losing to a decade after he hit his prime?....Exactly, lol

I appreciate your try but certainly you weren't waching the sport 10-15 years ago, you dont have much criteria anyways, you pretend Rory is elite while Marquard was just "above average"...I would even say you are fairly retarded to some extent given how hard it is for you to grasp some basic logic. Have a good day Sam

wow man, you must be handicapped, not even joking. I already told you why I referenced the 2006.2013 tmeline, I will just copy paste it:

"I referenced that time line because Anderson and GSP were champions during such timeline and by your simpleton definition a fighter who was never the absolute best has not the right to be called elite. Therefore I asked you, regardless of Marquardt, there is any WW or MW during that time who can be considered elite? How many of them?"

At this point you still genuinely didnt get the point.:eek::eek::eek:

Marquard's prime started with his great performance vs Misaki and signing for the UFC briefly after that. The losses you referenced are about a decade after.

Do you know who was Rory losing to a decade after he hit his prime?....Exactly, lol

I appreciate your try but certainly you weren't waching the sport 10-15 years ago, you dont have much criteria anyways, you pretend Rory is elite while Marquard was just "above average"...I would even say you are fairly retarded to some extent given how hard it is for you to grasp some basic logic. Have a good day Sam

Honestly, only way you can be arguing this much is if you actually are Nate Marquardt, nice to meet you.

Back