Went boxing sparring yesterday with a mate. Now he's in the hospital with a concussion :\

I once got beaten to the point of retardation in sparring by a heavyweight and he had the audacity to say "you right bro" as we drove home.
Some people don't understand their size and some people are so nervous they throw hard. Newbies are extremely prone to throwing full power because they're so high strung about the fact they're in a scenario they've never been exposed to. I had the joy of sparring a heavyweight who was also in his first sparring session and a former professional athlete.....
You've just gotta weigh what's going on. It's sparring feel free to stop and talk to them during it, I wouldn't advise doing that in a real fight.
yeah sometimes it’s a bit shocking to see how easily it can go also. I’ve bloodied up so many noses just from a 50% jab, dropped people just from a small punch. I really need to watch myself and that’s kinda hard when my sparring partners are swinging for the fences lol. I’ve only got about 3,5 years experience so I’m far from being a Floyd Mayweather defense zen master hehe

yeah sometimes it’s a bit shocking to see how easily it can go also. I’ve bloodied up so many noses just from a 50% jab, dropped people just from a small punch. I really need to watch myself and that’s kinda hard when my sparring partners are swinging for the fences lol. I’ve only got about 3,5 years experience so I’m far from being a Floyd Mayweather defense zen master hehe
I always wanted one of those cool photos with me covered in blood after a hard fight. Most I got was one with the worlds most pathetic excuse for a nose bleed. Turns out I just wasn't a bleeder

I always wanted one of those cool photos with me covered in blood after a hard fight. Most I got was one with the worlds most pathetic excuse for a nose bleed. Turns out I just wasn't a bleeder
<WhatItIs>

So obviously I feel like trash, just wanted to write this out.

I'm 6"4/193cm and about 210 lbs/96kgs, he's 6"5/196cm and about 180 lbs/82 kgs. Now obviously I'm very well aware of the fact that it only takes one good punch to put someone out. I try to never go 100% as plenty of times I've knocked sparring partners down even when we agreed on a medium level of intensity.

This time that was a little different. He's a proud motherfucker and if I'm very honest pretty damn stupid aswell. He went 100% almost right from the start. I knocked him down with a clean right hook. He was sitting down for about 5 minutes and pushed me to continue even though I didn't feel like that was a good idea.

Our coach told us we could spar light so we continued, but of course the guy tried to throw the kitchen sink at me. I'm just a little better than him so after hitting him with another clean 3 punch combination which clearly rocked him I asked him "is this what you want cause I don't like this". Of course the fucking idiot kept continuing so I just dodged him the remaining 30 seconds. When the round was over I was completely done. He was still full of adrenaline and went on to hit the bag for half an hour, he just wouldn't get tired.

Anyway, coach and I started to get a little worried when he kept asking the same questions every 2 minutes. Finally convinced him to let me drive him to the hospital after stopping by his house and walking his dog. Motor skills were all good but his short term memory was completely gone. The doctor checked his motor skills and literally while we were still in the same room, 2 minutes later he had forgotten he was checked. Brain scan was all good and there appeared to be no further physical injury there, just a completely vanished short term memory. He had to stay for the night. It got a little better today but his memory still is far from what it should be.

Anyway thanks for reading if you made it this far. Couple questions for guys that train:

• How do you deal with sparring partners like this? Do you walk away or whatever do you do?
  • Is short term memory loss something that can take a while to recover?

Not really your fault man. Yeah you could have ended the sparring. But you did give him more then enough warnings.

Keep your head up. And if anything, just hope that your training partner learn from this.

I doubt it. But you never know.

Not really your fault man. Yeah you could have ended the sparring. But you did give him more then enough warnings.

Keep your head up. And if anything, just hope that your training partner learn from this.

Cheers mate. I think he’s at least a little wiser now as to what the effects could be if he tries to make it a fight, especially with someone that’s heavier and better than him.

• How do you deal with sparring partners like this? Do you walk away or whatever do you do?
I don't spar with them anymore. I'll go light for the remaining rounds that day then don't waste my time with them after that. Not worth getting myself injured or being responsible for them getting injured if they insist they have to go hard. I don't like sparring hard unless it's with people I trust and/or legit fighters who know how to control themselves. Too many gym warriors who just want to be dumb that are not worth my time and potential injuries.

I don't spar with them anymore. I'll go light for the remaining rounds that day then don't waste my time with them after that. Not worth getting myself injured or being responsible for them getting injured if they insist they have to go hard. I don't like sparring hard unless it's with people I trust and/or legit fighters who know how to control themselves. Too many gym warriors who just want to be dumb that are not worth my time and potential injuries.
Yeah if I were in a commercial gym again I’d definitely do that. Thing is, he’s a mate of mine and we box in a mini gym with just 4 people and the coach (who is more a personal trainer than a legit boxing coach but he’s still got quite a bit of experience). I think I’m gonna give him one more chance but if the situation doesn’t improve, I’ll stop sparring him

Yeah if I were in a commercial gym again I’d definitely do that. Thing is, he’s a mate of mine and we box in a mini gym with just 4 people and the coach (who is more a personal trainer than a legit boxing coach but he’s still got quite a bit of experience). I think I’m gonna give him one more chance but if the situation doesn’t improve, I’ll stop sparring him
Gotcha, yeah in that situation I'd give him another chance and just let him know that if he keeps going hard someone is going to end up hurt (again) and be careful with him because they sound like the type of person to want to "Get one back". With smaller gyms it's hard but I always think it's important to set your boundaries with sparring partners especially ones like that.

If you're worried about causing lasting damage, it's generally okay to rip em 100% to the body to keep them honest.
At my gym we would spar 70% but every so often sneak a 100% body shot in to keep them honest and stop them getting complaisant or too comfortable.

Sometimes I nut check them. Especially if they’re women.

Well that's unfortunate, hopefully your friend is not too bad and he recovers from his injury.

As for sparring, you shouldn't go all out in sparring. That's just how I approach it. 80% max. If someone insisting in going a 100%, I just stop and look for someone else to spar with.

you dealt with him correctly. The golden rule is to hit your partner as hard as they’re trying to hit you. Moving forward I wouldn’t let the guy spar for 8 weeks and then I’d have a real serious talk with him about wether or not he is going to spar at all.

The memory loss thing will be fine in a week or so.

I once got beaten to the point of retardation in sparring by a heavyweight and he had the audacity to say "you right bro" as we drove home.
Some people don't understand their size and some people are so nervous they throw hard. Newbies are extremely prone to throwing full power because they're so high strung about the fact they're in a scenario they've never been exposed to. I had the joy of sparring a heavyweight who was also in his first sparring session and a former professional athlete.....
You've just gotta weigh what's going on. It's sparring feel free to stop and talk to them during it, I wouldn't advise doing that in a real fight.

Lil update for those interested: yesterday was the first time we went boxing again. To my pleasant surprise he is actually going to stick to his doctor's plan of not sparring (head) for 8 weeks. We did some sparring to the body and clinch work and he didn't act like a raging bull.

I told him afterwards a little bit jokingly that I was proud of him that this time he didn't try to take my head off. He laughed and said "I didn't really know that this is actually better". So I guess he learned his lesson. Good for him (and me too, lol).

Lil update for those interested: yesterday was the first time we went boxing again. To my pleasant surprise he is actually going to stick to his doctor's plan of not sparring (head) for 8 weeks. We did some sparring to the body and clinch work and he didn't act like a raging bull.

I told him afterwards a little bit jokingly that I was proud of him that this time he didn't try to take my head off. He laughed and said "I didn't really know that this is actually better". So I guess he learned his lesson. Good for him (and me too, lol).
That’s awesome! Glad to hear that y’all (mainly him lol) figured it out and grew from that experience. Best of luck training!

Das yuge bro.

I'm 6"4/193cm and about 210 lbs/96kgs, he's 6"5/196cm and about 180 lbs/82 kgs. Now obviously I'm very well aware of the fact that it only takes one good punch to put someone out. I try to never go 100% as plenty of times I've knocked sparring partners down even when we agreed on a medium level of intensity.

This time that was a little different. He's a proud motherfucker and if I'm very honest pretty damn stupid aswell. He went 100% almost right from the start. I knocked him down with a clean right hook. He was sitting down for about 5 minutes and pushed me to continue even though I didn't feel like that was a good idea.

Our coach told us we could spar light so we continued, but of course the guy tried to throw the kitchen sink at me. I'm just a little better than him so after hitting him with another clean 3 punch combination which clearly rocked him I asked him "is this what you want cause I don't like this". Of course the fucking idiot kept continuing so I just dodged him the remaining 30 seconds. When the round was over I was completely done. He was still full of adrenaline and went on to hit the bag for half an hour, he just wouldn't get tired.

Anyway, coach and I started to get a little worried when he kept asking the same questions every 2 minutes. Finally convinced him to let me drive him to the hospital after stopping by his house and walking his dog. Motor skills were all good but his short term memory was completely gone. The doctor checked his motor skills and literally while we were still in the same room, 2 minutes later he had forgotten he was checked. Brain scan was all good and there appeared to be no further physical injury there, just a completely vanished short term memory. He had to stay for the night. It got a little better today but his memory still is far from what it should be.

Anyway thanks for reading if you made it this far. Couple questions for guys that train:

Concussions are no joke. The science tells us that it is not the 1 or 2 big shots that damage the brain, it’s the repeated mini-concussions. I’m 58 years old and until recently I sparred weekly. First, younger better stronger boxers were reluctant to spar with me and when they did they took a lot off their shots. I enjoy sparring but one of the younger professional fighters hit me with a hook that I turned into. I can’t remember getting rocked by such a punch but I turned all 58 years old in about 4-5 seconds I wobbled around the ring. I’m extremely fit for 58 and had been capable of sparring 12-15 rounds. But this one shot concussed me and broke my nose. No one said no more sparring. I fought until I was 52 as a USA Master’s Boxer. But I’m not so proud that I didn’t understand what happened. It is unfair for me to spar younger better fighters when I’m going hard and they are protecting me. But my sparring days are over. I’ve had my nose broke so many times I can’t count. I have had 2 surgeries to repair my nose so I could breath (mouth breathing gets your jaw jacked). It was the way I felt after that hook. I was fully awake but my brain and body had been disconnected. It didn’t hurt but I could not see clearly. It was as if I was looking through opaque glass. In a few more seconds I was fine but I’ve never been short-circuited like that. The trainer did not stop the sparring but got me in the corner holding my nose closed with a towel. I got too old to spar with one wake-the-fuck-up left hook. I still train daily but I haven’t sparred since. I don’t intend to either. I’m not afraid of getting in there and getting hit. I’m afraid that this particular incident may happen again, I’ve never fought without headgear. But I have sparred a lot with no headgear. Those days are over. I love boxing and I love the places I’ve been and the people I’ve met through boxing. But no more sparring.

Don't give up sparring. Just spar with people you trust and go easy. I know it may be not what you are use to so may not be worth it to you. I work on different things like my footwork and defensive and slap my jabs to lessen the impact. However my power punches like the left hook and right hand are thrown with such care that they rarely connect but I don't want to piss off a better boxer who is working with me and trying different things himself. I then get feedback on what I did right and what I did wrong. I do try to work as hard and fast as I can on the shadowboxing, timing bag and heavy bag to compensate for the slow sparring. Anyway, I compete with myself, get fit and have fun. Be that 80+ boxer at the end of Gleason Boxing Video shadow boxing in the ring.

Last edited:

The only thing more you maybe could have done is shut it down after the 5 minute knockdown. A knockdown in our gym is almost always the signal to call it a night for whoever got put on their ass. But don't feel guilty, this is NOT your doing. You acted like a conscientious training partner would, he only reaped what he sowed. Essentially he's as dumb as you think he is and that's on him.

If the guy was a total beginner and simply couldn't control themselves it'd be better to just work on defense and throw the odd jab to keep em honest, you wouldn't get hurt anyway and they're not doing it out of some shit-placed ego but out of fear. Clearly it's not the case here.

Back