Were you disappointed by Colby's performance?

Was Colby's performance disappointing?

• Yes

Votes: 211 88.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 11.7%

• Total voters
It wouldn’t have mattered. Colby’s ‘pressure is my defense’ shit doesn’t work against a guy like Edwards. In the first two rds, Colby was getting popped every time he tried to get something going. He didn’t roll out of bed apprehensive - Leon made him that way.
Exactly

If Leon kept that energy, it would have have been more of the same in the 4th and 5th as well...

But Leon decided to grapple with Colby. For some reason fans think that Colby "got it going" in the 4th and 5th.

Yea, if Leon kept striking with Colby it would have a different story. Leon just wanted to prove a point.

He said it end of the fight too. He just got his 2nd degree BJJ black belt and wanted to show he's an MMA fighter and not just a striker.

Reactions: CPH
Exactly

If Leon kept that energy, it would have have been more of the same in the 4th and 5th as well...

But Leon decided to grapple with Colby. For some reason fans think that Colby "got it going" in the 4th and 5th.

Yea, if Leon kept striking with Colby it would have a different story. Leon just wanted to prove a point.

He said it end of the fight too. He just got his 2nd degree BJJ black belt and wanted to show he's an MMA fighter and not just a striker.

As the fight was happening, these moments where Leon tried to grapple Colby and got reversed gave me flashbacks of more or less the exact same thing happening to Masvidal in his fight with Colby. Luckily, Colby couldn't do much with the positions and by that time, Leon had the fight in the bag. So in the end, this was just a good learning experience for him.

As the fight was happening, these moments where Leon tried to grapple Colby and got reversed gave me flashbacks of more or less the exact same thing happening to Masvidal in his fight with Colby. Luckily, Colby couldn't do much with the positions and by that time, Leon had the fight in the bag. So in the end, this was just a good learning experience for him.
Yea there was absolutely no need to take such risks.

Like you said, it worked out but if Colby ended up getting a sub on top or something... that would have been a fight that Leon gave away on a silver platter.

Can't make these kinda mistakes at this level. Good learning experience indeed.

For a guy who talked as much as Colby did, there was seriously no follow up when it came to the fight.

Leon utterly outclassed Colby everywhere -even took Colby down just to prove a point.

Too bad Colby couldn't call the cops because he surely needed the help.

Have never seen anyone dominate Colby in such a way. This, after sleeping Usman and then unexpectedly owning the rematch.

Leon Edwards is for real. Even up 4 rounds he was trying to finish the fight in the 5th with submissions.

A GSP style 50-45 shutdown to honor the GOAT who was in the building to watch the fight.

PS I'm sure Leon's father would be proud :)

Is this a serious discussion topic or are you just trying really hard to shitpost?

Is this a serious discussion topic or are you just trying really hard to shitpost?
How does one get 144 responses for shitpost?

Don't be mad at me for Colby's performance.
Winning and losing is part of the sport... but Colby didn't even show up to fight

Disappointed in both.

Now I remember why Leon was hated for so long here on Sherdog. Nobody even cared when the UFC removed him from the rankings and he was out and denied a titleshot for so long.

He always makes his fights boring. And Colby looked outclassed and scared, just bad fight.
He's a counter striker and the dude he was fighting kept backpeddling...that's kinda what happens.

If Colby had some balls and moved forward to actually try and fight back he would have been taking a dirt nap. This ones all on Colby.

That wasn’t even Colby. It was some guy that didn’t use pace, cardio and pressure to compensate for skill. We just got to see the skill which wasn’t ever going to be enough …….. a few moments he looked like Colby.

I thought when he just got in the cage he looked softer / weaker than normal and his performance certainly did. He didn’t look like someone that was working his ass off like the he did in the past.

Leon is just really good even if the best Colby showed up he probably wins just the same. Leon is a weird fighter I feel like he only fights so much above his opponents.

I don’t want to call him lazy but he just seems to turns it up enough to stay ahead and throttles himself.

He looked weird vs Usman and Mas.
He's old, inactive and entitled.

I was not sure if he was gonna show up at 100%

For a guy who talked as much as Colby did, there was seriously no follow up when it came to the fight.

Leon utterly outclassed Colby everywhere -even took Colby down just to prove a point.

Too bad Colby couldn't call the cops because he surely needed the help.

Have never seen anyone dominate Colby in such a way. This, after sleeping Usman and then unexpectedly owning the rematch.

Leon Edwards is for real. Even up 4 rounds he was trying to finish the fight in the 5th with submissions.

A GSP style 50-45 shutdown to honor the GOAT who was in the building to watch the fight.

PS I'm sure Leon's father would be proud :)
That's what happens when one's focus is on "acting" instead of training and fighting.

That's what happens when one's focus is on "acting" instead of training and fighting.
if only embarassing someone was illegal.

Then when Leon took him down and tried to sub him in the 5th he could have called the police and had Leon arrested to get a DQ win.

Yes, very disappointed. He looked like he was doing light sparring the first 2 rounds (while eating leg kicks and some punches). Then he started doing something, which wasn’t much. No urgency, didn’t push the pace, nothing. I’d rate it at 1/5 as a performance and the 1 instead of 0 just because he didn’t get finished.

Have never seen anyone dominate Colby in such a way.
Colby finally faced a true WW in their prime for only the 2nd time tho. Only other time was the first fight against Usman where he got his jaw shattered.

LW RDA won 2 rounds against Colby, and took him down 3 times.

Colby is so overrated.

He is just not in his prime.

Yes, actually. I expected his schtick to be rusty, but always assumed this would be a fast-paced pitter-patter pressure wrestling war. He was looking like Sleepy Joe, fumbling around like he forgot what he was doing there. Really don't want a guy who looks to be sundowning out there running the division. It's time to step aside and let some fresh faces get their chance.

Reactions: HHJ
He was looking like Sleepy Joe, fumbling around like he forgot what he was doing there. Really don't want a guy who looks to be sundowning out there running the division.
<28>

Leon's father is probably disappointed his son is making a legitimate living and not selling drugs and women.

Turible matchup
but that’s how it be sometimes when you are the MOST DYNAMIC sport in The Solar System

We saw how Leon handled Usman. Colby is a less athletic pillowfisted version of Usman. That plus his age and lack of any meaningful wins in 5 years. Should have expected something like this.

Way too many people bought into the "Colby is the second best welterweight because he had a close fight with Usman" narrative.

Colby has some nerve. Does nothing the whole fight and acts like he won.

Back