Were you impressed by Poatan performance?

Were you impressed by Poatan performance?

• Total voters
Both looked like stuck in the mud granpas. Chimaev and Bo would have put him on his ass and sink a choke in 3 minutes or less.

That said, Alex taking punches from a guy like Jan after getting bodied not long ago was impressive.

Impressed by improved TDD but I dont think its enough to stop Ankalaev. I was impressed he didn't get subbed when he had his back taken. I don't necessarily believe he's the best striker in the division. He had a gassed Jan in front of him and still didn't hurt him and was getting hit.

The ending makes me wish it was 5 rounds for the belt... Someone was getting finished by the 4th round.

For a guy who recently got Kod and moved up a weight class maybe he did good and his wrestling was ok. Wasn't his best performance by any measure against a declining former champion

A gassed out Jan was tagging him left and right

I'm impressed with his stamina, Jan gassed in the first so it's hard to talk about other things.

No, but it was an honest win against a very tough, experienced and dangerous guy.

Jan is way better than what he's given credit for.

Simple yes or no will suffice.

To be honest, he didn't look as great as he did against Izzy in their two MMA fights. Maybe he was slowed down by the kicks to the legs by Jan and also most of 1st round of trying to defend getting choked.

But overall I didn't think he looked all that great. Jiri can spark him for sure.

290723-alex-poatan-br-ufc-291-GettyImages-1579804360.jpg

Blachowicz was obviously more negatively affected, but I think the altitude made Pereira look worse than he has previously and win the fight at the same time.

They gassed each other hard round one

It lacked action but was a physical round for both

Just rewatched the fight and he did way better than I thought he would, people are just dumb and ignored who's Jan and why both played safe.

And he clearly won rounds 2 and 3 those rounds weren't close.

This. And only 3 months after coming back from a bad KO loss.

Jan gives problems to everyone.

No, he looked slow and sluggish and his striking didn't seem crisp, especially his hands. I wasn't even convinced he won either, but he didn't really get beat up either so its like a draw type of fight. Alex had much better kicks, some good leg kicks, but I thought Jan actually landed more with the hands, especially the left. Jan got 3 takedowns and the back but his ground 'n' pound was non existent

I thought they both looked slow and lacklustre to be honest. You could tell Jan had not been in Utah very long, he was exhausted by round 2. Alex looked slow throughout

If Jan did some GnPing he would've probably needed an oxygen mask after the first round already lmao

I need to rewatch the last round, I remember Jan getting a TD but not sure how. A gassed Jan taking you down in third ain't a good sign overall.

Why isn’t there an “Absolutely!” option ?

The transition from kickboxing to mma has proven very hard - Hunt, Crocop , Saki never saw gold yet in a few fights managed Poatan managed to acquire the belt (granted Adesanya is a stand up artist ) but then Poatan manages to hold off former LHW champ Blachowiz who was clearly focused on a grappling/ submission effort to no avail.

Remarkably impressed !

No. Both looked completely gassed after the first round ended and looked like they were walking around in wet concrete for the rest of the fight.

Alex was going to be a tad tentative and careful to begin with considering the opponent/style/ 205. Then the first round played out so a tough - to be fair- question to field.

Yep on like his 11th mma fight he beat his second ufc champion, while getting a win in a second weight class. Doing so while at quite high elevation to complicate things. Does he have things he needs to improve still? Absolutely. But the fact he’s beating elite competition anyway despite it is very impressive. The guy is in a spot to have 2 world titles by his 12th mma fight. There’s no way to not be impressed really.

Back