What’s your MMA secret?

This is kind of a secret -- I have mentioned it, but I try not to be too clear about it so as to avoid arguing with folks that strongly disagree... Although I do feel he acted a bit after the illegal shot against Yan, I have not had a problem with Sterling in anything he has done aside from that. He didn't have to act to win via DQ, which is where he fucked up in my opinion -- he should've done what Diego Sanchez did against Pereira and just took the DQ win without displaying pain and anguish (which, to be fair, I can't say with 100% certainty wasn't genuine, but it did look a bit over the top). I also feel that he comfortably defeated Yan in the rematch and heavily disagree with those that argue he did nothing from the back -- I gave him a 10-8 in round 2.

I actually respect every fighters skill who's made it to the UFC level and won a fight or two. I find it really really impressive. Even Brainden Schaub. It's actually really hard to do.

I feel your pain. I started training in 2002 at like 12. Forced my way into the adult classes from the get go. Started competing in Judo a couple months later.

I fought 2 pro fights and 5-7 amateur (depending on what counts) my first being at the age of 16. 300+ Judo matches and maybe a 100 Sub grappling.

Never once was I not scared out of my mind.

I threw up before a majority of tournaments and fights and it never really got easier. It actually got worse.

Crowds don't even bother me. Its all the anticipation and sitting and waiting and oh fuck, if I lose.... Oh God... When is my name getting called? Why am I doing this?
Basically on repeat for hours.
I had a great win percentage. Didn't matter.

Then when I started teaching it got worse,
I was like in my very early 20s. Being that young is very hard when teaching because you always question if you're good enough.
If I lose, would people think I was a fraud?
Will the scummy BJJ gym in my town use that against me?

I'll say one thing, that's a major reason I retired from MMA competing when I was like 23.

You're not alone.
Good stuff, brother.
I've heard other fighters talk about throwing up before fights too!

Although it would have been great to test myself, I try to to have any regrets about it.
Unless you're good enough to make a lot of money, it's probably not worth all the brain trauma of heavy sparring and competing.
That's what's nice about Jiu-Jitsu. (not that it doesn't also take an AWFUL toll on your body too!! <45><45><45>

I used to be a BJ Penn fan. I'm not really anymore.

Love Dana White. He does have the lizardy dishonesty personality but at the same time I find him super entertaining. Some of the shit he says is comedic gold. I appreciate his commitment to ufc and I'd want no one else as the president

I cringe everytime I see Niko Price's shoulders/traps and Phil Davis' torso.

PRICE_NIKO_L_12-03.png

Phil-Davis-UFC117-750.jpg

ghppq.jpg

hopefully you never see George Sotiropoulis

Joe Riggs and Karo Parisyan could have been GOAT fighters and two names to be remembered even today.

Good stuff, brother.
I've heard other fighters talk about throwing up before fights too!

Back in high school, we had a wrestler who often threw up after matches. I had always assumed it was due to exhaustion, but looking back, maybe there was an element of stress there too. He ended his high school career with 97 varsity wins, which can't ever come easily no matter who you are.

It's idiotic that someone has to lose their title and then win it again to be called a 2x, 3x etc champion.

Robbie Lawler was on gear during his late resurgence. (Still loved his fights).

Michael Bisping was a deserving champion.

Back