What are you currently playing v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't wait so I started playing Cyberpunk 2077. No real bugs at all on PC. Game isn't all cracked up to be. It has a pretty interesting ACT 1 then they just rested in terms of contents. I am midway through the main story of the game I think but my character is already doing the super hard side missions. My character is OP in terms of damage but will die if anyone blows at it. Pretty much I am running around the map clearing everything without touching the main story because I am scared the game will end abruptly if I just spend a couple hours straight on it.

A lot of the stuff are side quests that just end when you finish it. There are no long term effects. Different starting factions don't change choice or outcome. You can't ally with any other existing gangs. There are no incentives to buy all the vehicles. The framework is done in the game but it has no soul. Even the people who give you the contract. You don't meet them organically in the game. They sorta call you and introduce themselves on the cellphone.

I couldn't wait so I started playing Cyberpunk 2077. No real bugs at all on PC. Game isn't all cracked up to be. It has a pretty interesting ACT 1 then they just rested in terms of contents. I am midway through the main story of the game I think but my character is already doing the super hard side missions. My character is OP in terms of damage but will die if anyone blows at it. Pretty much I am running around the map clearing everything without touching the main story because I am scared the game will end abruptly if I just spend a couple hours straight on it.

A lot of the stuff are side quests that just end when you finish it. There are no long term effects. Different starting factions don't change choice or outcome. You can't ally with any other existing gangs. There are no incentives to buy all the vehicles. The framework is done in the game but it has no soul. Even the people who give you the contract. You don't meet them organically in the game. They sorta call you and introduce themselves on the cellphone.

Let's just say that the game was incomplete in more ways than one.

I keep hearing that. "The first chapter was great, and then it turns into a forgettable game with no depth or identity"

I think in the future, you'll hear developers talking about the glitches and general incomplete state of the game's technical presentation being just the tip of the iceberg, and that it was rushed out a good two years before it would even be ready for final play testing. I guess being a developer of a generation defining game is a blessing and a curse. This is why I trust Rockstar. They don't rush shit, despite their reputation and all these suits leaning on them. They release games when they're finished.

Just finished God of War (2018) for the very first time. I thought it was a good, sometimes great game. But I don't see it as a all time great like it's been made out to be. The production values are top notch obviously but I find most of the actual gameplay to be relatively basic and sort of boring and repetitive. Hoping the sequel can improve on those areas. Still very good.

8/10

Everyone pretty much agrees that the most interesting part of the game was rushed, and compacted into a montage. The game skips one year through a cut scene, so you never experience the immersion of getting to know any of the characters or the city. You just "know" everything right out of the gate.

Playing these older games like Strife (96 game running on Doom engine), Deus Ex/Vampire Bloodlines, hell even Postal 2, has me remembering and wondering how CDPR released Cyberpunk without any reactive AI. In all of those games, Strife especially, NPCs and guards/police will react to you accordingly. In Strife, Postal 2, and Vampire Bloodlines, the AI will react to whether you have your weapon holstered or not, NPCs run and hide while the police will engage.

Everyone pretty much agrees that the most interesting part of the game was rushed, and compacted into a montage. The game skips one year through a cut scene, so you never experience the immersion of getting to know any of the characters or the city. You just "know" everything right out of the gate.

Playing these older games like Strife (96 game running on Doom engine), Deus Ex/Vampire Bloodlines, hell even Postal 2, has me remembering and wondering how CDPR released Cyberpunk without any reactive AI. In all of those games, Strife especially, NPCs and guards/police will react to you accordingly. In Strife, Postal 2, and Vampire Bloodlines, the AI will react to whether you have your weapon holstered or not, NPCs run and hide while the police will engage.
That one year was actually something interesting that I wanted to explore. I hope they release it as a DLC or something. You never really saw how they came up. I have no real liking to any of the characters. The only guy I sorta liked was Jackie. You barely even like your own character. There are no real choices to be evil or good. The normal NPCs in cyberpunk are just background noise. Some do run away when you have gun out though.

Life is Strange 2 (All Episodes):

Well what can I say about this game, other than it would be better if it wasnt a "game" at all. The team did a wonderful job with the small character moments and some of the character writing. The moments of tranquillity with nice acoustic guitars playing whilst the time just passes away, the feel and atmosphere is really well done. The production values are greater than the LIS 1 and LIS:BTS.

BUT its still a shitty game, and a mediocre walking sim. The first game a nice "rewind" time mechanic that added to the story and gameplay but this had a "sit down and draw" mechanic as its main gameplay feature? BOOOOOO.

The story is damn outrageous and makes no damn sense. Every escalating moment is overly dramatic, and doesnt take any logic into account. Any "choice" you make is miniscule and doesnt really affect the damn story in any meaningful way and they throw this right in our face with "Bae over Bay" being the cannon from the first game, when "Bay over Bae" was the canon in the first game (imo). This mightve been better as a short Netflix series (which would have been panned across the board). The endings make no sense. Some of the issues it tries to tackle is so damn in line with current political bullshit. Fantastic take on border issues and general racism, Deck Nine. I bet they were patting themselves on the back when they wrote this shit. Its so poorly done and artificial, that it wouldve been better if they didnt try at all. Its insulting at how poor the execution is.

Play this if youre a fan of the small character moments from the older LIS games, but dont expect this to be as good as the first, and maybe worse than the mediocre LIS:BtS. If youre not, stay away. Logic is not your friend in this game. Its hard to suspend your disbelief when the overall writing is poor to mediocre in most aspects.

5/10.

Definitely gonna avoid the third game if these guys are making it.

EDIT: And they thought Id forget about the terrible sound design. Its like the mixing work is terrible. The foley work is amateurish. All the dialogue sound as if theyre done in a completely different environment to the actual environment. Its distracting. Just boooooooo. Hades can have one genius sound artist do nearly all the sound design and VO for the main character (and some side characters), but a team fails to do half as good a job. Booo.

Last edited:
Just finished God of War (2018) for the very first time. I thought it was a good, sometimes great game. But I don't see it as a all time great like it's been made out to be. The production values are top notch obviously but I find most of the actual gameplay to be relatively basic and sort of boring and repetitive. Hoping the sequel can improve on those areas. Still very good.

8/10

Which difficulty did you play it on because God of War plays different on the harder difficulties. I specifically remember a guide someone made years ago for beating Sigrun, and they mentioned that when Sigrun flies up just get Atreus to shoot an arrow and she'll fall and that it works on every difficulty... except it doesn't work on Give Me God of War.

Also, in regards to you finding the combat basic, boring and repetitive, have you played Bloodborne and games like this before? I've never played the Souls games but i find Bloodborne, God of War, and Sekiro to have repetitive combat but i don't think that's a bad thing, it's just a light attack, heavy attack, and skill, thing these games have.

If you're hoping they change the combat i think you'll be disappointed as most people loved it. Just my two cents.

Still playing Hunt: Showdown and I've been playing this since it just got released.

PvPvE and I love the post-apocalyptic theme.

Which difficulty did you play it on because God of War plays different on the harder difficulties. I specifically remember a guide someone made years ago for beating Sigrun, and they mentioned that when Sigrun flies up just get Atreus to shoot an arrow and she'll fall and that it works on every difficulty... except it doesn't work on Give Me God of War.

Also, in regards to you finding the combat basic, boring and repetitive, have you played Bloodborne and games like this before? I've never played the Souls games but i find Bloodborne, God of War, and Sekiro to have repetitive combat but i don't think that's a bad thing, it's just a light attack, heavy attack, and skill, thing these games have.

If you're hoping they change the combat i think you'll be disappointed as most people loved it. Just my two cents.
I'm not sure but I typically play on whatever the default normal difficulty is. I definitely didn't play it on hard. I have played Bloodborne, didn't beat it but I put a pretty good number of hours in. I definitely prefer the combat in Bloodborne over GOW. It just feels more fluid and responsive to me where GOW felt very arcady and sort of clunky. I just didn't really appreciate the grindy punishing nature of Bloodborne. If that game had a more friendly save/respawn system I would probably love it.

I'm not expecting major changes to GOW2, nor am I dying to play it either. I'm just not a big fan of the go here, press X when we tell you and move in between these walled in backgrounds with a single path.

Finished up Metro Exodus excellent game. This series only keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Started up Genshin Impact again last night. Game has added a bunch of new content so I've been working my way through that until I Mass Effect legendary comes out.

Did a full replay of the first Borderlands game including all the DLC, man that game is a fucking slog. The Knoxx DLC has some of the worst level design I've ever seen in a game, and the loot drops were so sparse I was level 55+ using a level 20 SMG because of the elemental damage because why bother giving the players the weapon types they actually NEED to clear out zones full of bullet sponge mobs?

BL2 still holds the crown of best game in the series.

Finished up Metro Exodus excellent game. This series only keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Started up Genshin Impact again last night. Game has added a bunch of new content so I've been working my way through that until I Mass Effect legendary comes out.
Have you played through the series?

I’m gonna be playing the upgraded Exodus here soon but wasn’t sure if I should play the others for continuity purposes or if I can just jump into Exodus.

I’m gonna be playing the upgraded Exodus here soon but wasn’t sure if I should play the others for continuity purposes or if I can just jump into Exodus.

Not sure about continuity, but "Last Light" is an excellent game, regardless. Easily one of the better sequels ever made, that addressed all the original game's shortcomings. I think it might actually be on sale right now for $2.99 on Xbox.

I liked knowing the background of the characters but honestly you could just jump into this one and not miss anything. One of the only mysteries from the last games isn't even talked about or present in this game. The first Metro is passable at best but I ended up literally just running through whole sections when I could. Last Light is much better and I actually enjoyed that one and it's still a good game. Exodus is the peak of the series so far.

Not sure about continuity, but "Last Light" is an excellent game, regardless. Easily one of the better sequels ever made, that addressed all the original game's shortcomings. I think it might actually be on sale right now for $2.99 on Xbox.
I liked knowing the background of the characters but honestly you could just jump into this one and not miss anything. One of the only mysteries from the last games isn't even talked about or present in this game. The first Metro is passable at best but I ended up literally just running through whole sections when I could. Last Light is much better and I actually enjoyed that one and it's still a good game. Exodus is the peak of the series so far.
Good to know. I’ll probably jump into Exodus for the upgrade and revisit Last Light at some point. Too much to play right now.

Good to know. I’ll probably jump into Exodus for the upgrade and revisit Last Light at some point. Too much to play right now.
FWIW, Ive played bits of each game. The linear FPS is just mediocre or boring in all the games and I found myself dropping them. Maybe Id like them if I played again but idk. Theyre not as well paced as say a MW or MW2. Exodus seems excellent though since its not as linear [and has a PC upgrade coming], Ill play after RE8.

Finished Half-life 2: Episode 2 last night. I had played Half-life 2 at launch on its initial release in 2004 and then Episode 1 when it released in 2006 but never got around to Episode 2 before. That last mission was hectic trying to drive those sticky bombs around between all the incoming striders. I can’t believe that Valve just up and fucked off from the series after its release though. No Episode 3, no Half-life 3. What a bunch of cockteases.

Did a full replay of the first Borderlands game including all the DLC, man that game is a fucking slog. The Knoxx DLC has some of the worst level design I've ever seen in a game, and the loot drops were so sparse I was level 55+ using a level 20 SMG because of the elemental damage because why bother giving the players the weapon types they actually NEED to clear out zones full of bullet sponge mobs?

BL2 still holds the crown of best game in the series.

How would you rate the prequel if you've played it? I downloaded the first games as a pack and agree 100 percent about the first one, the second is already way more fun. I'm playing the co-op with my chick during lockdown and she prefers the more silly environments so the prequel might be perfect.

The Pre-Sequel is good, but not BL2 good. It has, however, one of the WORST characters in the series in it. Trust me, after the 4th or 5th time she reminds you that she likes chicks you'll want to toss her into deep space.

Jack is great in it though, and it has some of the best playable characters. And the absolute silliness of the space levels is great, butt stomping enemies never gets old.

Golden Week Sale on Xbox this week so I picked up the Kunio-Kun Super Dodge Ball (NES classic) and Final Fantasy IX (another awesome classic). Finished Super Dodge Ball like 3 times already lol. Don't remember it being so easy as a kid. But I can easily win in Difficult mode now.

FF9 will be later this week. Not sure what else to play other than my usual rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back