What are you playing? v.8 (Toadstool Edition)

Armageddon upon us, whose side be yours in the eternal struggle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Boomer Shooters and I’ve been working on Dusk on my Switch and Prodeus on my PS5 back and forth for the last few weeks. They are both excellent imo. Another Boomer Shooter I really enjoyed was Project Warlock. It was a real blast which I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to anyone.

I like Ion Fury, but not as much as those other three I mentioned above, or as much as the original Duke Nukem 3D from which it gets its inspiration.
Nice. I hadn't heard of Project Warlock yet. There are so many of these retro shooters out there now. Such a cool genre.

Nice. I hadn't heard of Project Warlock yet. There are so many of these retro shooters out there now. Such a cool genre.

Yeah it’s probably my favourite genre to be honest, which makes sense for me because my “golden years” of gaming were playing the early FPS games on PC in the 90s:

Doom 1 & 2
Rise of the Triad
Heretic
Hexen
Witchaven
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Quake 1 - 3
Unreal and Unreal Tournament
Half-Life

90s shooters were my bread and butter, and while that’s not to say I don’t enjoy modern fps games like Call of Duty or especially Doom Eternal which was chef’s kiss excellent, there’s a certain itch that these retro Boomer Shooters scratch like no other.

Yeah it’s probably my favourite genre to be honest, which makes sense for me because my “golden years” of gaming were playing the early FPS games on PC in the 90s:

Doom 1 & 2
Rise of the Triad
Heretic
Hexen
Witchaven
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Quake 1 - 3
Half-Life

90s shooters were my bread and butter, and while that’s not to say I don’t enjoy modern fps games like Call of Duty or especially Doom Eternal which was chef’s kiss excellent, there’s a certain itch that these retro Boomer Shooters scratch like no other.
I own Project Warlock but haven't played it. I have so many things on my backlog lol

Doom 1 & 2
Rise of the Triad
Heretic
Hexen
Witchaven
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Quake 1 - 3
Half-Life

Wow I'm halfway through Quake but otherwise I haven't played any of those yet.

The only problem with all these old games is controller support. I know MKB is the superior way to play but my left hand is pretty much useless and uncoordinated so I'll have to see which of those I can add to the wishlist. You gamers who grew up on PC probably take it for granted but using the keyboard for movement is so weird and unintuitive.

This genre is right up my alley though. The one thing I've realized playing through the Doom franchise is all my favourite games have really free movement and fast combat. There was a video I posted in the Doom thread where the devs talked about their push forward philosophy and the idea of "moving so fast that you're almost out of control" really resonated with me and these old shooters exemplify that to a T.

So i discovered something weird in Battlefield 2042. Could be a thing with the Battlefield series since i havent played since 1942.

Was watching some streamers and noticed they had little to no recoil on their guns. After some digging discovered a option exists that reduces the visual recoil when ADS'ing. Why is this even an option, let alone one thats off by default?

So i discovered something weird in Battlefield 2042. Could be a thing with the Battlefield series since i havent played since 1942.

Was watching some streamers and noticed they had little to no recoil on their guns. After some digging discovered a option exists that reduces the visual recoil when ADS'ing. Why is this even an option, let alone one thats off by default?

I can't believe anyone is still playing Battlefield 2042.

Wow I'm halfway through Quake but otherwise I haven't played any of those yet.

The only problem with all these old games is controller support. I know MKB is the superior way to play but my left hand is pretty much useless and uncoordinated so I'll have to see which of those I can add to the wishlist. You gamers who grew up on PC probably take it for granted but using the keyboard for movement is so weird and unintuitive.

This genre is right up my alley though. The one thing I've realized playing through the Doom franchise is all my favourite games have really free movement and fast combat. There was a video I posted in the Doom thread where the devs talked about their push forward philosophy and the idea of "moving so fast that you're almost out of control" really resonated with me and these old shooters exemplify that to a T.

At the end of the day a lot of it is just what you’re used to and muscle memory. I gamed on PC exclusively from 1994-2006, then gave up gaming until 2009 when my wife got me an Xbox 360 and then I became a filthy console pleb until just now as I bought a gaming laptop for Black Friday. I was playing some Quake 2 deathmatch this morning and got my ass kicked. Just not used to KB+M anymore. In September I was playing the Quake 1 remaster on my PS5 and online I was holding my own against PC guys even using a controller as it’s been what I’ve been using exclusively since 2009. I remember 20 years ago when I was still a PC master race elitist I used to look down on Halo’s control scheme compared to say KB+M on Counter Strike.

If you’re playing on PC but want to use controller a lot of classic games might have modern source ports that allow the use of controllers. But if not, then at least most if not all of these Boomer Shooters are made with having controller as an option right out of the gate if that’s your jam.

If you’re playing on PC but want to use controller a lot of classic games might have modern source ports that allow the use of controllers. But if not, then at least most if not all of these Boomer Shooters are made with having controller as an option right out of the gate if that’s your jam.
Yeah and Steam has really good controller configuration software so I should be able to figure something out if there is no native support.

Quake 2 is the best Quake, by a mile.

Online was fantastic on MSN GameZone. Lobby after lobby and a ton of custom maps, game types and skins.

I had the chickenpox when I was thirteen and, aside from using the toilet, basically shut myself in my room for a week. Did a ten hour marathon with GameZone friend, completing the co-op from beginning to end.

Then there were the custom maps. A clan member made one for me called "Fuckarena", and I'd collect maps where I could jump off tall things, and do platforming.

Then there were other mods, where you could use railgun chainguns, automatic rockets and use "Angels" that covered around you. I'd troll by using the Angel of Freezing and a modified pistol, that was essentially a mace, which blinded your character to the point where you couldn't even see the menu to exit.

Absolutely tops. Should always be talked about as a revolutionary game.

I'm polishing off the substories in the Yakuza series, then I'm going to replay 6, because I feel that I didn't really give it much of a chance. 0 and 1 are done and I'm guessing that I have one mission to do before the Amons. Problem is that it's the one relating to baseball batting centre, and I'm absolutely shit at that minigame...

Online was fantastic on MSN GameZone. Lobby after lobby and a ton of custom maps, game types and skins.

I had the chickenpox when I was thirteen and, aside from using the toilet, basically shut myself in my room for a week. Did a ten hour marathon with GameZone friend, completing the co-op from beginning to end.

Then there were the custom maps. A clan member made one for me called "Fuckarena", and I'd collect maps where I could jump off tall things, and do platforming.

Then there were other mods, where you could use railgun chainguns, automatic rockets and use "Angels" that covered around you. I'd troll by using the Angel of Freezing and a modified pistol, that was essentially a mace, which blinded your character to the point where you couldn't even see the menu to exit.

Nice. I wasn't really expecting much out of Quake 2 but both you guys love it.

zel-monica.gif

there-are-dozens-of-us.gif

It's single player was okay but the multiplayer was where it really shined. Community modding was absolutely terrific. You can play the entire game in co-op from beginning to end.

At the end of the day a lot of it is just what you’re used to and muscle memory. I gamed on PC exclusively from 1994-2006, then gave up gaming until 2009 when my wife got me an Xbox 360 and then I became a filthy console pleb until just now as I bought a gaming laptop for Black Friday. I was playing some Quake 2 deathmatch this morning and got my ass kicked. Just not used to KB+M anymore. In September I was playing the Quake 1 remaster on my PS5 and online I was holding my own against PC guys even using a controller as it’s been what I’ve been using exclusively since 2009. I remember 20 years ago when I was still a PC master race elitist I used to look down on Halo’s control scheme compared to say KB+M on Counter Strike.

I didn't play it for ten years, then got a new computer and installed it for kicks. First thing that I realized was just how fast I and human enemy players moved. Controls were like I was on ice.

Toxic Waste Dump was my jam. Used to do the rounds of getting the chaingun, then Quad Damage, then Heavy Armor. Tore everyone up.

Wasn't a particularly accurate player though. On other maps, others would outsnipe me with the railgun...

It's single player was okay but the multiplayer was where it really shined. Community modding was absolutely terrific. You can play the entire game in co-op from beginning to end.

I didn't play it for ten years, then got a new computer and installed it for kicks. First thing that I realized was just how fast I and human enemy players moved. Controls were like I was on ice.

Toxic Waste Dump was my jam. Used to do the rounds of getting the chaingun, then Quad Damage, then Heavy Armor. Tore everyone up.

Wasn't a particularly accurate player though. On other maps, others would outsnipe me with the railgun...
The gameplay in these old Dooms and Quakes is unbelievably good. It doesn't just hold up well but the controls and gunplay are even tighter than in a lot of modern games.

Sifu has the best gameplay loop of die, die again and again until you git gud I've ever played. Sekiro and Soulsborne have the area progression that gives it extra oomph. but on pure gameplay, Sifu is 2nd to none.

I'm playing Iron clad tactics until "high on life" comes out. I really like the game. It's a very strategic game and you have so many options to be creative and find the right solution. I'm looking for more games like it, would appreciate any recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back