What are you playing? v.9 (Kefka Edition)

Is a bad launch a death sentence for a new IP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit dated, but Octopath Traveler (the first one, I understand a sequel recently came out). I bought this with steam deck in mind given it's not graphically intensive and I could kill a lot of time on long fights ad drives. I've put a further chunk in and it's kind of hit its stride for me, though it has some obvious weaknesses. As a JPRG it's been a good time sponge, I've gotten all the secret classes and am rounding out the remaining 4th chapters.

Pluses:
+ battle system is pretty good with the selection of weapons, spells, items, and other special abilities. The Battle Points and Break system are really cool
+ old style graphics have this charming lighting effect to them
+ easy to spend a lot of time in, good value per dollar
+ challenging but not impossible boss fights
+ good variety of classes, and special skills. Pretty balanced.

Minuses:
- the 8 different stories with limited interaction between them give an overall lack of feeling of purpose. Then the actual stories themself are pretty lame and I'm forced to skip through them, especially because with grind time, you might not do a characters 2nd chapter until well after the first etc, and have a bunch of other stories in between, so you forget what's going on
- graphics, while cute, I wouldn't say are very good and animations are very limited
- some character special abilities you kind of want to have at all times, and it's kind of annoying that it requires a lot of swapping of characters to do all the actions
- until you get really up there in power a lot of the battles with lesser opponents drag on too long and are uninteresting
- side missions tend to be ultra lame

All in all though the rewarding battles and variety of tactics and learning skills have wo out over the obvious problems and it's a 7.5 for me. I hear conflicting things about the sequel like it's better in every way, to "if you didn't like the first game, you won't like the second as it has the smae problems", Apparently there is some popularity to the belief the sequel is GOTY and supposedly as an all time great soundtrack.

Baldur’s Gate 3 has got me freaking hooked like I expected. One thing I love about Larian is how dense the map is with content. There is something going on damn near every inch of the screen like in Original Sin 2. I’m taking the whole month of January off coming up so this will probably consume my free time haha.

Did anyone pick up November's 2D scroller Last Faith? Thoughts?

Fellow Steam Players!!

I'm feeling festive and I'm giving away a Steam code to one of the best games of 2023, Resident Evil 4 remake. I'd only like to gift it to someone who's never played RE4 or at least hasn't played the remake. I guess whoever wants it just reply and tell your RE4 history on whether you've played it or not.

Baldur’s Gate 3 has got me freaking hooked like I expected. One thing I love about Larian is how dense the map is with content. There is something going on damn near every inch of the screen like in Original Sin 2. I’m taking the whole month of January off coming up so this will probably consume my free time haha.

Yea I felt like I could barely walk 5 feet without something going down.

Been watching streamers play Escape from Tarkov Arena the past couple of days. Its been an absolute joy seeing this dumpster fire of a game trying to promote itself as a "competitive esport".

Stream-wise, I still only enjoy watching DrDisrespect now and again. He's been super funny lately in his streams (like when he snaps and barks back or screams after KIA) and his scored edits when he shows these play montages in the interstitial are hilarious. No-one does it like Doc, really. He's a movie character. I like the new vibe he has with Zlaner who's a far better player than he is; he's taken on a bit of self-deprecation as a result, which counterbalances the other times he's more ego maniac.

Been doing Skyrim permadeath for a while. Attempts are ridiculously long though so I'll probably give up soon.

I think I put about 500 hours into this game on PS3 so I thought I could never enjoy it again but still having a blast just wandering around. They packed so many locations and quests into the map, it's almost shocking. Even the shitty basic combat is fun enough but it will be awesome going back to Elden Ring or something similar with precise hitboxes and responsive controls.

Stream-wise, I still only enjoy watching DrDisrespect now and again. He's been super funny lately in his streams (like when he snaps and barks back or screams after KIA) and his scored edits when he shows these play montages in the interstitial are hilarious. No-one does it like Doc, really. He's a movie character. I like the new vibe he has with Zlaner who's a far better player than he is; he's taken on a bit of self-deprecation as a result, which counterbalances the other times he's more ego maniac.

I like the Doc but admittedly I haven't watched his stuff in a long time. I don't really watch Twitch and I haven't watched his youtube in ages. Saying that, I think he's awesome, and I used to love watching him back in the day when he was playing H1Z1

My two favourite clips from back in the day

I gotta do some catching up

I like the Doc but admittedly I haven't watched his stuff in a long time. I don't really watch Twitch and I haven't watched his youtube in ages. Saying that, I think he's awesome, and I used to love watching him back in the day when he was playing H1Z1

My two favourite clips from back in the day

I gotta do some catching up

Dude, he's funnier than usual lately, IMO. Super entertaining. Check out his stuff with Zlaner, in general.

Yea I felt like I could barely walk 5 feet without something going down.
I'm a little over 20 hrs in and still in act 1. Just got to the Underdark and haven't finished up all the Emerald Grove quests. I'm also putting together what I want my builds to be on my next run haha. The build variety is of course even more varied than Original Sin 2. I definitely see why it won every award this year in a freaking stacked year of great games.

I finished Terminator Resistance, it was pretty decent. It got more enjoyable as I levelled up and gained more powerful weapons. Kind of like Robocop Rogue City it's constant references and reverence for the Terminator series were pretty endearing, and felt earnest rather than cheap. It even had a cringey sex scene

I also started Spiderman 1 recently and it's really impressive. Not just the swinging through the city but in general the production values seem off the charts. I also love this style of combat although I'd say it feels a bit less impactful in this than in the Arkham games or Mad Max/Sleeping Dogs etc but it's still fun

I also finally started Cyberpunk 2077 and wow, it's pretty impressive. For some reason I didn't have high expectations in terms of gunplay but the weapons feel good (A lot better than say, Starfield's).

Following a recent thread I also reinstalled Farcry5 since I felt like going back, and I also installed Rage 2 which has been on my backlog for a while (I played the original Rage and thought it was overall ok it was just missing something and I didn't complete it)

Last night I also impulse bought Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. I played it on release and didn't like it at all (Was a huge fan of Wildlands), but I have heard the game is in a better state nowadays so we'll see

I finished Terminator Resistance, it was pretty decent. It got more enjoyable as I levelled up and gained more powerful weapons. Kind of like Robocop Rogue City it's constant references and reverence for the Terminator series were pretty endearing, and felt earnest rather than cheap. It even had a cringey sex scene

I also started Spiderman 1 recently and it's really impressive. Not just the swinging through the city but in general the production values seem off the charts. I also love this style of combat although I'd say it feels a bit less impactful in this than in the Arkham games or Mad Max/Sleeping Dogs etc but it's still fun

I also finally started Cyberpunk 2077 and wow, it's pretty impressive. For some reason I didn't have high expectations in terms of gunplay but the weapons feel good (A lot better than say, Starfield's).

Following a recent thread I also reinstalled Farcry5 since I felt like going back, and I also installed Rage 2 which has been on my backlog for a while (I played the original Rage and thought it was overall ok it was just missing something and I didn't complete it)

Last night I also impulse bought Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. I played it on release and didn't like it at all (Was a huge fan of Wildlands), but I have heard the game is in a better state nowadays so we'll see
Can personally vouch for current state of Breakpoint.

Was a passionate Wildlands lover too and at B/p's launch, it was painful to see Ubi not carry over what was so good about Wildlands; made no bleeding sense. Over Y1 they pushed a number of additions but none more important and faith-restoring than what's called Ghost Experience. This is the mode you need choose when asked at startup; it's none of the gear-scored loot silliness and all the immersive, guns-up Nomad experience we love.

Rage 2 is fun. Can recommend. One thing I'll add is they retard campaign progression by cumulative area activity and NPC/side quests, but it goes fast enough and isn't the early grind you might think it is. *clink

Reactions: Zer
Dragon's Dogma

x4...

This is the last chance I'm giving it to truly hook me. I usually give this game about 12-15 hours, give some wishy washy kinda positive impression of it, and then just stop playing it. Not this time. I'm letting this fucker breathe, and I'm laser focused on this shit this time. I swear this game gets by on positive Youtube reviews, telling you that you just have to "get into it", before it actually clicks. It always persuades me, and I end up doing the same shit I always do. Get my bearings, and then move on to some new hotness. Not this time. I'm going balls deep this time around. It's nagging me that I haven't really gotten "into it", despite recognizing it's deep systems that beg for a big time sink to truly enjoy what's on offer.

Last edited:
I'm playing lego fortnite of all things lol. It's actually pretty fun and has me hooked. Plan on playing just a little bit after fully upgrading all my stuff ( currently level 7 village )

The worst thing about the game is the lack of fast travel or fast mobility. Even the glider has stamina which is bs

I'm playing lego fortnite of all things lol. It's actually pretty fun and has me hooked. Plan on playing just a little bit after fully upgrading all my stuff and pimping my village.

The worst thing about the game is the lack of fast travel or fast mobility. Even the glider has stamina which is bs
Lego video games are under appreciated by adults

We used to get high and play co-op lego star wars/ or batman for hours on end. It was fun because nobody took it seriously, whereas Diablo II or champions of norrath would start arguments eventually.

Lego Forza was fun too

Merry Christmas SherGamers!!

Does no one really want RE4: Remake for Steam haha. Maybe it’s just because no one looks at this thread haha.

Last edited:
I'm playing lego fortnite of all things lol. It's actually pretty fun and has me hooked. Plan on playing just a little bit after fully upgrading all my stuff ( currently level 7 village )

How the heck do you get the glider? I just found Flexwood, which looks like it will let me build the Tears of the Kingdom-style vehicles. But I don't remember seeing anything for a glider.

Finished LotR: Return to Moria this morning. Had lots of fun with the survival/craft gameplay with the LotR skin. It was randomly generated chunks, but got really repetitive towards the end, I feel it would have been more enjoyable to have a standard map and spent more time designing the areas with more interesting zones. Not sure if I want to take the time to build an Uber base now that I have access to all the equipment and materials since there isn't an endgame.

Started up Mario RPG while I decide on Moria, and trying really hard to take it slow. One of my favorite games as a kid and after a few hours picked up the 3rd party member and 2nd Star and needed to force myself to put it down and savor it.

Merry Christmas SherGamers!!

Does no one really want RE4: Remake for Steam haha. Maybe it’s just because no one looks at this thread haha.

Surprised no one has taken you up on this!? Played the shit out of it on Steam and then again on PS5 for the VR mode. Favorite game this year hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back