What are you reading?

mantis_fist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is next on my schedule.

5cnYZIV.png

Slogging my way through The Kite Runner; it's good, but I'm having problems making myself finish it for whatever reason. I have The brothers karamazov waiting on deck, and that will be my first experience reading Dostoevsky.

I'm focusing a lot on bringing my french level up a bit, so I've been reading a lot of graded readers in french—I'm in the middle of Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.

Last edited:
Slogging my way through The Kite Runner; it's good but I'm having problems making myself finish it for whatever reason. I have The brothers karamazov waiting on deck, and that will be my first experience reading Dostoevsky.

I'm focusing a lot on bring my french level up a bit, so I've been reading a lot of graded readers in french—I'm in the middle of Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.
Definitely finish it. Loads of things happen towards the end.
I just recently re-read Perfume by Suskind. It is great.
I'm about to begin reading Alamut.

Re-reading this.

517WA7S850L.jpg

Capitol Revolution : The Rise Of The McMahon Wrestling Empire by Tim Hornbaker

'All Quiet on The Western Front'

And Sherdog

I have a couple books I'm juggling, but one of them is on Low Dose Naltrexone. I've seen a number of people rave about it that have MS, Crohnes and UC. it seems few doctors are familiar with LDN.

"The LDN Book: How a Little-Known Generic Drug Low Dose Naltrexone Could Revolutionize Treatment for Autoimmune Diseases, Cancer, Autism, Depression, and More"

Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) holds the potential to help millions of people suffering from various autoimmune diseases and cancers, and even autism, chronic fatigue, and depression, find relief. Administered off-label in small daily doses (0.5 to 4.5 mg), this generic drug is extremely affordable and presents few known side effects. So why has it languished in relative medical obscurity?

The LDN Book explains the drug’s origins, its primary mechanism, and the latest research from practicing physicians and pharmacists as compiled by Linda Elsegood of The LDN Research Trust, the world’s largest LDN charity organization with over 19,000 members worldwide. Featuring ten chapters contributed by medical professionals on LDN’s efficacy and two patient-friendly appendices, The LDN Book is a comprehensive resource for doctors, pharmacists, and patients who want to learn more about how LDN is helping people now, and a clarion call for further research that could help millions more.

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia).

It's an interesting read since it narrates his comings and goings between the different powers in the Arabian Peninsula to support their revolution (Arab Revolt) against the Ottoman Empire during the first World War, but it feels long as fuck due to a poor narrative style: it's based on his diaries and it mentions a lot of names that can be very similar in very few lines. So sometimes it gets confusing.

His racial views are amusing, but at the same time provide good insight into the psyche of the people that live in that part of the world, since this revolt affected the Middle East up until today.

BTW, Anatolians are worst race according to Lawrence.

Don Quixote. No joke, I read it for an hour a day and make 30 pages if I'm lucky. I'm probably less than 200 pages from the end, but it's been a slog, and this is from someone who loves Doestoevsky.

I was planning to read Debt: The First 5000 Years next, but back to back tomes will probably finish me right now. Anyone recommend a good pamplet or index card?

Another book on English history. I've recently completed everything Peter Ackroyd has to say on the matter, and have moved on to The English and Their History by Robert Tombs, a 900-page doorstop.

A book of conversations, essays between Roger Penrose and Stephen Hawking.
This is my second time trying it. First was fifteen years ago, and it was above my level.
Now, it's above my level by slightly less.

Something really erudite and pretentious. You wouldn't know it.

I'm going to finish a Storm of Swords today. I'm at The final chapter.

And reading Drawing Down the Moon. It's a neat book about druidism, earth worship and approaches to connecting to a higher power.

And reading a book called the 48 Laws of Power. Cool book that one is too.

Reading the first 3 steps of the 12 and 12 of AA here and there too.

Old school baby.

maltese_falcon_book.jpg

Last years best:
Battle of Ebro. Spanish Civil War. Big carnage in 400 square Kms during four months. Nice read, pretty objective approach, nice overall view.

Remaking Eden: How Genetic Engineering and Cloning Will Transform the American Family. It's from 1998 but still impressive.

Back