What do you do for recovery?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Im an old prick now so my days of not doing some type of recovery work are over. What do you guys do? Stretching? Foam rolling/la crosse ball work? The myriad of overpriced stuff sold by Kabuki Strength? Chiropractor? Massage parlor w happy ending?

Wim Hof technique, foam roller, massage stick, DIY massage gun, inversions, lots of stretching. Oh, magnesium helps with stiff muscles in glutes, hips and neck.

A guy who nuthugs another guy on an Internet forum. Now I’ve seen it all.

Are your feelings still hurt from Larry blowing you off?lol

It was a good momma joke.

Get some anti-estrogen brah, you're acting like a bitch all over the place.<GOT2>

Don’t skip rest days built into my program and then blame the program.

Fellow old prick here. Honestly the best way to recover IME is good, solid sleep. If you go heavy squats and deads one day, best way to embed the gains is get 8-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep that night. And if you're sore the next day try to get in a 45 min to 1 hour nap during lunch if possible. When I hit 40, I found I had to force myself to go to bed earlier and get at least 7-8 hours sleep in order to continue to train hard. If I skimp on the sleep like I did when I was younger, I get injured, get sick and generally feel like shit if I train like I used to (and even then I've cut back to at least 2 rest days/week).

I also foam roll, stretch and might do a light walk to get the blood flowing on rest days, but sleep is the biggest thing by far.

Agree with sleep however sometimes you may not be able to sleep and it helps to have a program to allow for that variance and it doesn't have to be RPE either.

Agree with sleep however sometimes you may not be able to sleep and it helps to have a program to allow for that variance and it doesn't have to be RPE either.

As a guy who’s getting close to 40 with 2 young kids, I can attest to the above. Sleeping for 8 hours is the best recovery method, but that’s literally never in the cards for me atm. The trick is to not put yourself in a position where you know you’re going to feel like dogshit the next day. Listen to your body during warmup sets, that’ll be your prime indicator for how hard you can push that day.

Also, make peace with the fact that some days or even weeks are just going to be shit. Rather than trying to fight it, embrace it.

As a guy who’s getting close to 40 with 2 young kids, I can attest to the above. Sleeping for 8 hours is the best recovery method, but that’s literally never in the cards for me atm. The trick is to not put yourself in a position where you know you’re going to feel like dogshit the next day. Listen to your body during warmup sets, that’ll be your prime indicator for how hard you can push that day.

Also, make peace with the fact that some days or even weeks are just going to be shit. Rather than trying to fight it, embrace it.

Yeah, speaking from experience having young kids is THE WORST thing you can do if you value uninterrupted sleep. But if I slept like shit and I'm dragging ass, unless I'm sick I still try to do my lifts but I might have to make it an unplanned deload week if I'm not feeling it.

Yeah, speaking from experience having young kids is THE WORST thing you can do if you value uninterrupted sleep. But if I slept like shit and I'm dragging ass, unless I'm sick I still try to do my lifts but I might have to make it an unplanned deload week if I'm not feeling it.
Just don’t have kids.

Glycine is good for connective tissue and also helps with sleep. Apparently 3g will lower your core temp. which in turn helps you to get to sleep. I have 2 young kids as well. CBD & phenibut help to improve sleep quality, THC and alcohol help you drift off, but lower sleep quality. I think, read it somewhere but can't remember the source

Extra sleep, extra food, massage, hot tub and pool.

Back