What does Tony gain from fighting Gaethje?

If he'd said no to this, maybe dana woulda found someone else to fight justin for the interim.
dana is in a nasty mood right now, not sure it's a good idea to piss him off

Tony could gain credibility....., he hadn’t beat a top guy in years

The only thing Tony gains is a name on his resume and a pay cheque. I’m sure it will be a great fight but Ferguson just has to be fighting for the real belt. Instead he’s fighting for a belt that’s been treated as a happy meal belt and doesn’t even guarantee you a shot at the official belt. He is already the most legitimate title challenger in UFC history and he doesn’t need to fight Gaethje at all.

By fighting Gaethje he stays active but that’s it and it’s not worth it. He’s going to get damaged win or lose and will most likely lose a piece of himself in this, while not even fighting for the title. I hope it gets cancelled and we see the Khabib fight later this year. Don’t let this be a GSP vs Anderson situation.

Paycheck plus a victory on his record. Plus he stays at the front of the line.

Lmao...no

Won the interim title + titleholder got stripped due to inactivity + Tony not losing + fighting during an epidemic and winning the title again = People's Champ #Champshitonly

Possibly a concussion and some money. Thats about all. There's really no positives for him in this aside from getting to fight and if he beats Justin then who else is there besides Khabib? Justin is the only other contender worth talking about at the moment.

Won the interim title + titleholder got stripped due to inactivity + Tony not losing + fighting during an epidemic and winning the title again = People's Champ #Champshitonly
Not even close .... quoting Tony is just making you seem like a idiot as well lol

•A great name on his resume.
•Another interim title (worst case Khabib doesn’t fight later this year gets promoted to undisputed champ)
•Once again secures number 2 spot to face off against champ Khabib (or Conor if Dana books that rematch later while Tony waits).

For the last 3 years, he's only fought once a year.
If he can beat Gaethje, it would be a nice tune-up, as well as a confidence-builder for the next fight.
It's been almost a year since his last fight. He needs a fight.
Plus it's probably hard to train and find sparring partners these days with the CV

lol the ultimate purpose of fighting is money .... despite any bs story that someone might tell you..... Tony will make good money taking this fight.

Ferguson only accepts this fight for money.
He hopes at the same that Gaethje is not in shape. He would never have taken a fight against a 100% Gaethje with a full camp in these circumstances.
That's why he never will be a champion.
He is a 'stupid guy' and made a lot of stupid decisions in his career.

Nothing besides money, but that really is the motivational factor for most fighters. I'm sure the UFC is taking care of him in the pay department.

Maybe he also got a guarantee that if he lost and then won a fight against a top 10 fighter he'd get title fight after that. Seems like his manager would have enough brains to include something like this.

I have to assume his main goal right now is to become champion. If he becomes champ he gets the best paydays of his career. This fight with Justin Gaethje still gives him the opportunity to become a champion should be get past Gaethje, but it he loses then he is most likely done as a contender.

It’s a completely different opponent for him on short notice in an unknown location. If he takes this fight and wins I don’t see how it increases his chances of becoming champ. He stays active but he most likely loses the benefits of staying active as he will most likely take a lot of damage in this fight. There is no taking away that he is the number one contender, regardless of whether he fights Gaethje or not. If he really needs the money then I understand his choice, but this is a massive risk.

I do understand your point; I’m not trying to be obtuse. If there is ever a time to sacrifice the considerations I’m talking about in favor of yo to sporting legacy this is probably it. If Tony dethrones Khabib the performance will go down in history and he’ll enter various GOAT discussions—even if he gets knocked out by Gaethje or Conor in his next fight.

However...

It’s still his job. Khabib is gonna hit holiday time before this virus is done, so we’re talking about—at best—a six month delay. Bear in mind also that this fight has already fallen out five times, so it’s not like if Tony can just wait until October he’ll have his fight. Who knows what will happen.

“Really needs the money” is a hard question to answer when you’re still in your 30s but your career will effectively be over in 3-5 years and you’re not trained to do anything else.

Looks like it’s moot now anyway.

wow... fuck each and every last one of ya'll hypocritical sons of bitches...
If he turned down tony after the official contract talk, THEN literally the same people would have called him a duck

It's a good fight

Does it really worry u that he's a warrior who wants to entertain us and also make money instead of just sitting on the sidelines?

Then stop whining about politics, corruption, and ducking in combat spot. suddenly ur all paranoid business men

Weirdos

SimpleIncomparableBettong-size_restricted.gif

Back