What happened to Rory Mcdonald?

ovinaso

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
At some point he was one of the most technical fighters in the UFC celebrated as the next canadian torch bearer to Georges St Pierre both trained at tristar, his fights were violent, defeating noteable names like Diaz, Penn, Maia, Woodley, Lima and was involved in undoubtedly one of the top 3 greatest UFC fights of all time with Robbie Lawler which he was paid just 59k, but soon after left the UFC joining bellator and it felt as though he was no longer on the map, soon forgotten and retired last year.

Couldn't believe he's only 33 years old..

How do you think he would matchup against recent welterweights champions and contenders since he left.

Dude got blanketed by 50 yr old Jon Fitch. Don't think he would fare well in today's divison. And let's be honest, some of his best wins were BJ Penn and Nathan Diaz at WW..

Lawler broke his fighter spirit.
Along with having an elite skill set that can grapple with Maia and strike with Lawler Rory was a damn warrior, once he lost that ability to actually want to fight he just wasn't technical enough to stay safe like he always tried. Grappling, Striking or clinching Rory crippled himself by trying to be as safe as possible.... his style was based more so on inflicting damage at all times so when he lost that aggression his style took a big hit.

Dude got blanketed by 50 yr old Jon Fitch. Don't think he would fare well in today's divison. And let's be honest, some of his best wins were BJ Penn and Nathan Diaz at WW..
If you can survive Damian Maia, you can survive most WW grapplers. Rory in his prime would be a tough out for most elite WWs, even if he loses some.

Rory the waterboy Macdonald lost his killer instinct and didn’t want to hurt people anymore. It showed near the end of his career that he was just taking fights for cash because that’s what he’s done his entire life since he was 16.

What others have said and tbh he was absolutely clinging on for dear life in the last round in that first fight against Lima, was lucky to get the belt, not that I begrudge him it at all guy was a savage

Lawler smashed his face apart obviously but Bellator paid him like 400k (with ads) a fight vs the 70/70k he was getting in the UFC for TITLE fights. He also just became very Christian and married a church girl. I favor him over most guys today I just think Lawler had his number. Barring Leon and maybe Usman I think he beats most ranked WW's in his prime today.
Dude's level of toughness was crazy though. Both Lawler fights he had a never say die attitude and Lima chopped his lead leg to pieces.
055_Robbie_Lawler_vs_Rory_MacDonald.0.0.jpg

Rory with power would have been truely frightening..

Don't get me wrong but he spent his xp evenly on all the staples.. only goats can do that and get away with it..

Also he learned against lawler, condit and wonderboy.. rough upbringing..

Last edited:

The version of Rory that got a gift against Fitch was already physically past it and mentally checked out of the sport.

Peak Rory, between his two fights with Lawler, would easily be ranked in today's WW division.

Back