What happened to Rory Mcdonald?

My guess is he had too many hard fights too young. He peaked at 25-ish in 2014 and was never the same after the Lawler beating. He'd pickup the Bellator title, but he'd never win 3 in a row again after that.

Rory the waterboy Macdonald lost his killer instinct and didn’t want to hurt people anymore. It showed near the end of his career that he was just taking fights for cash because that’s what he’s done his entire life since he was 16.

I hope he made enough in his career, for all the damage he underwent, remaining in that Robbie fight with a shattered nose and broken foot, is a testament to his fighting spirit, but as they say, in these wars most fighters leave something behind.

Last edited:
He married into the family of a good friend and colleague of mine.

I’ve been told his heart hasn’t been in it for a while and he was “going through the motions” and that he was doing it for his family/financial security. I asked for more details but didn’t get much more.

Take that for what it’s worth.

He started young as fuck, and put a lot of miles on his body, on top of the wars he had in the cage. He still had a great career, and He was fun as fuck to watch.

He married into the family of a good friend and colleague of mine.

I’ve been told his heart hasn’t been in it for a while and he was “going through the motions” and that he was doing it for his family/financial security. I asked for more details but didn’t get much more.

Take that for what it’s worth.

Yea he’s been fighting professionally since he was 15 or 16, lots of people burnout and switch careers by the time they hit their mid 30s

Robbie Lawler happened (twice)

stare-down-robbie-lawler.gif

He started MMA young so he has a lot of mileage on his body. He also took a lot of damage in his fights with Condit and Lawler. The earlier you start MMA the sooner you will start declining. The mileage matters more than age.

He was also a jack of all trades type so sometimes he gets beat by better strikers that have good enough TDD to keep it standing or if he fights a high level wrestlers he might not be able to keep them off him.

At some point he was one of the most technical fighters in the UFC celebrated as the next canadian torch bearer to Georges St Pierre both trained at tristar, his fights were violent, defeating noteable names like Diaz, Penn, Maia, Woodley, Lima and was involved in undoubtedly one of the top 3 greatest UFC fights of all time with Robbie Lawler which he was paid just 59k, but soon after left the UFC joining bellator and it felt as though he was no longer on the map, soon forgotten and retired last year.

Couldn't believe he's only 33 years old..

How do you think he would matchup against recent welterweights champions and contenders since he left.

Fighters are tough but not invincible. I'm sure the 25 minutes war with Robbie Lawler took a heavy toll.

overrated, not that he wasn't good but he couldn't be as good as people wanted him to be

then he got smashed by Robbie, and people forget the beating Mousasi gave him, that's when he really went downhill

High miles.

That fight vs Lawler, the last 6-7 minutes of that fight alone was a roundtrip to Neptune in fighter miles.

Much respect, he put in WARS.

Another case of someone starting competing at a young age and peaking early. He got suckered into a few too many wars and his longevity paid for it.

I don't think Rory declined as fast as people think, no version of Rory had any shot against Mousasi. Taking that fight was a bad decision.

overrated, not that he wasn't good but he couldn't be as good as people wanted him to be

then he got smashed by Robbie, and people forget the beating Mousasi gave him, that's when he really went downhill

These guys got it. Moose just kept popping that stiff jab into the bloody mess that used to be Rory's nose over and over. Really tough night at the office for Rory.

These guys got it. Moose just kept popping that stiff jab into the bloody mess that used to be Rory's nose over and over. Really tough night at the office for Rory.
Yeah, and I think that fight wasn't too long after Mousasi fought Weidman who was a much better and stronger grappler than Rory. I don't know why the odds for that fight were fairly close. Mousasi does everything Rory does but better and is a bigger guy that hits harder.

Overrated a little unfair, unfulfilled potential is more like it
Mousasi is top of the food chain, fighting for decades, winning titles in multiple promotions

At some point he was one of the most technical fighters in the UFC celebrated as the next canadian torch bearer to Georges St Pierre both trained at tristar, his fights were violent, defeating noteable names like Diaz, Penn, Maia, Woodley, Lima and was involved in undoubtedly one of the top 3 greatest UFC fights of all time with Robbie Lawler which he was paid just 59k, but soon after left the UFC joining bellator and it felt as though he was no longer on the map, soon forgotten and retired last year.

Couldn't believe he's only 33 years old..

How do you think he would matchup against recent welterweights champions and contenders since he left.

Never the same after Lawler.

Back