What is the worst instrumental solo of all time?

Simple Southerner

Etriviere By Hermes Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I don't typically enjoy ragging on bands or saying this or that sucks, and that is not my intention here. I find low energy solos hilarious. The entire idea is to be a showcase within a song of this player/instrument/melodic idea or what not, and sometimes you wonder what they were thinking.

I was just listening to Neil Young's Southern Man, and the solo in that has always made me laugh, it literally sounds like he's just slightly bending one note for most of it. I've heard before that this song is some sort of sleight against Lynyrd Skynyrd because I guess there was some beef there - but it's like wow Neil, really showing up the legendary Freebird with this solo

I find low energy solos hilarious. The entire idea is to be a showcase within a song of this player/instrument/melodic idea or what not, and sometimes you wonder what they were thinking.

There are tons of great "low energy" solos. Listen to some Blues music and bands like Pink Floyd. Solos aren't solely meant to be some crazy showcase within a song.

I was just listening to Neil Young's Southern Man, and the solo in that has always made me laugh, it literally sounds like he's just slightly bending one note for most of it. I've heard before that this song is some sort of sleight against Lynyrd Skynyrd because I guess there was some beef there - but it's like wow Neil, really showing up the legendary Freebird with this solo

Southern Man wasn't written to be a sleight against Lynyrd Skynyrd. It also wasn't meant to show up Freebird seeing as how Freebird came out a few years later.

I'll ride or die with Angus Young until the end, but the Dirty Deeds solo is awful.

Super subjective as to what is a good or bad solo though, can make a 1 note solo sound amazing and a OTT solo can feel incredibly pretentious.

I love bob Marley, but the instrumental for crazy bald heads was quite funny. I still love the song, just think bob got into the weed too much that day.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that some of you have seen this video.

I don't typically enjoy ragging on bands or saying this or that sucks, and that is not my intention here. I find low energy solos hilarious. The entire idea is to be a showcase within a song of this player/instrument/melodic idea or what not, and sometimes you wonder what they were thinking.

Nobody does solos like Neil, you gotta admit that.

Back