Movies What's the 3 best acting performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman?

What's your picks?

• Total voters
Is it wrong that despite all of his serious, academy award winning roles I think Mission Impossible is still one of his best? He was downright terrifying as a villain.

He’s so calm and menacing and then the “DO YOU THINK I’M PLAYING?!” Shift is chilling

Hardly anyone has seen this movie but he was simply amazing in synecdoche NY.

That's his Magnum opus

Is it wrong that despite all of his serious, academy award winning roles I think Mission Impossible is still one of his best? He was downright terrifying as a villain.

He’s so calm and menacing and then the “DO YOU THINK I’M PLAYING?!” Shift is chilling

It was crazy how good he was in that role.

95405e1e-1cf3-4f52-9690-02e83484ace4_text.gif

5424b212-416c-415c-bab9-c07504f6eb75_text.gif

Is it wrong that despite all of his serious, academy award winning roles I think Mission Impossible is still one of his best?
Are you kidding me? When he's playing Ethan Hunt I really believe he's swallowed Tom Cruise HEYOOOOOOOO but seriously you totally buy that it's Ethan Hunt under there. Plus it's got Maggie Q showing her panties.

tumblr-pqmav1dme-D1qla2o9o4-500.gif

Jesus, that's so hard. Incredible actor. Arguably the greatest actor of his generation.

Could carry greatness in a scene as a lead, supporting actor, or a set piece in the background. Stole scenes. Could act in a film style or theatrically. Flourished as a character actor. Could play a nuanced variation of himself, or go full method. Could be larger than life, or emote in inches. Could play smart or stupid. Protagonist or antagonist. Could be the transitive actor, bringing force and dynamism to a scene, or a reactor, playing off his co-stars. There's nothing he couldn't do except function as a modern action hero superstar.

Just fucking brilliant in everything he did.

Capote is the obvious choice. But I think his performance in The Talented Mr. Ripley will endure as one of the most underappreciated performances of all time. It's not snazzy, it doesn't draw attention to itself, and he doesn't take up a lot of screen time. On top of that, it's a very good movie, but it's not exactly a great movie, or a cult classic, so it flies under the radar. But it's the way he could just do so much with so little. He conveyed so many emotions and thoughts with such profound economy.

Savages isn't on the list, but that is an actor's acting film. Linney is tremendous in these tandem character studies. The story isn't as good, but it's on par with You Can Count on Me in that regard.

The other film starring him that will really just gut you is Owning Mahowny. That movie is everything Wahlberg's The Gambler wished it could be. Extraordinary acting from Hoffman.

I participated in the survey. But his performance as Sanford Lyle in 'Along came Polly' was my personal favorite.

[/QUOTE]

I did like him in that role also.

From the list:

1.) Boogie Nights
2.) Patch Adams
3.) Almost Famous

Along Came Polly was good too. He's the only thing that made that movie memorable in a sea of goofy Ben Stiller movies.

Only seen 2 of them MI3 and Boringball.

But I voted the 3 with the coolest titles

Say what you will about Abrams (I’m a fan) but he delivered the ideal opening to that film. And with the awesomeness of Hoffman and the always reliable Cruise, that scene was, in my opinion, the turning point for the MI series. The series only got better (or at least stayed on that level) from that point on.

From the list:

1.) Boogie Nights
2.) Patch Adams
3.) Almost Famous

Along Came Polly was good too. He's the only thing that made that movie memorable in a sea of goofy Ben Stiller movies.

He is EASILY the best thing about that movie- the funniest aspect, the best performance- and that’s impressive cause you have a lot of funny people in there like Stiller, Aniston, Baldwin, Azaria, etc.

It’s not a great comedy, but Hoffman delivers a great comedic performance.

Back