What's the 7 saddest songs on this poll?

What's your picks?

• Total voters
I just want to take a giant red marker pen to this thread :D

Tears for Fears, the original Mad World was superior.
When Prince died (the author of Nothing Compares 2 U) his dear friend Chris Cornell sang it and it was perfect. She can ram it. Gosh darn it I miss him.
Disturbed actually did a better job of Sound of Silence. David Draiman's vocals actually had me in tears when I saw them perform it, I'd had a few shandies though.
I'm a Reznor nut and while I loved Cash's version I just can't.

Yeah I find that the Johnny Cash version is more powerful than the Nine Inch Nails one.
Its way sadder. The NIN version is nihilistic, but the Johnny Cash one is about lost love.

I love both versions, but the Johnny Cash video is just brutal.

Unfortunately I haven't heard all of them, but from the ones I know...

Tears in Heaven has the saddest story to it.

Everybody Hurts has the saddest sound to it.

"Green fields of France" uses these songs as a pick me up when feeling down.
Green Fields of France and Tears in Heaven were my immediate thoughts when reading the thread title.

I have to assume that anyone who didn't vote for Tears in Heaven doesn't know the song or the story behind it

I love Radiohead, but a lot of their songs are downright depressing.

Its way sadder. The NIN version is nihilistic, but the Johnny Cash one is about lost love.

I love both versions, but the Johnny Cash video is just brutal.
They’re the same lyrics almost exactly. It’s about regret and addiction, but with cash it kind of works on another level about getting old. I think that might be the reason a lot of people like his more; that seen with his shaking hand emptying the glass is pretty powerful. That plus NIN seems to be a love it or hate it kind of band

it’s hard for me to pick a winner as they both are very well done. I think I lean towards Reznor here though. I’ve seen him perform it live a few times and it’s incredibly powerful

Walk the Dinosaur by Was (Not Was)

They’re the same lyrics almost exactly. It’s about regret and addiction, but with cash it kind of works on another level about getting old. I think that might be the reason a lot of people like his more; that seen with his shaking hand emptying the glass is pretty powerful. That plus NIN seems to be a love it or hate it kind of band

it’s hard for me to pick a winner as they both are very well done. I think I lean towards Reznor here though. I’ve seen him perform it live a few times and it’s incredibly powerful
The lyrics are the same but the context is different. Cash had just lost his wife and it's impossible to separate that from the song. Both versions are amazing. Fantastic song, still powerful decades later. File me firmly under "love it".

The lyrics are the same but the context is different. Cash had just lost his wife and it's impossible to separate that from the song. Both versions are amazing. Fantastic song, still powerful decades later. File me firmly under "love it".
He hadn’t lost her yet she’s the woman in the video. She died a few months after filming a Johnny shortly after that

I went to Cash's museum in Nashville. The seat he sat on for Hurt was in there.

Didn't he write to Trent and ask to cover it when he found out he had terminal cancer? It's a great cover nonetheless. Cash is the only Country music person I've ever got into.

I went to Cash's museum in Nashville. The seat he sat on for Hurt was in there.

Didn't he write to Trent and ask to cover it when he found out he had terminal cancer? It's a great cover nonetheless. Cash is the only Country music person I've ever got into.
That’s good you did, it’s since burnt down.

I don’t know the full story but I know Reznor though it was t a great idea at first, but was shocked when he saw the video at how powerful it was.

Cash had a way of making the original artist feel like they had actually written the song for him. Petty said the same thing about Johnny's version of Won't Back Down.

That’s good you did, it’s since burnt down.

I don’t know the full story but I know Reznor though it was t a great idea at first, but was shocked when he saw the video at how powerful it was.
Oh fuck no. That's really sad. It was only a small museum but I really enjoyed it, and that chair is legendary, what a shame.
Do you know why it burned down? As in arson or an accident.

Hurt is a Nine Inch Nails song. Did you go with the Cash version on purpose?

Mad World is a Tears for Fears song. Nothing Compares 2 U is a Prince song. Hallelujah is a Leonard Cohen song. Hell, Jeff Buckley's cover is basically a cover of a cover since it's based on the Jeff Cole version. While credit should always go to the original artists, I'd say the cover versions of ALL of these songs are sadder than the original, and in many cases are more epic, dynamic, whatever you want to call it. There's a reason why the cover versions are much more remembered. Hell, when Trent Reznor heard Johnny Cash's cover, he realized it wasn't his song anymore.

Back