When Merab tried to takedown a 35 yr old Aldo

Sorry but not even close
Not close to what? He won 25 FW fights in a row (His lone loss was at LW) Aldo had 11 UFC/WEC title fight wins in a row. Won the belt and defended it 10 times in a row. Volk won 6 Title fights.

Title fights Aldo 11 wins Volk 6. Last I checked 11 > 6.
Winning streak Aldo 25 Volk 21. Last I checked 25 > 21.

Not close to what? He won 25 FW fights in a row (His lone loss was at LW) Aldo had 11 UFC/WEC title fight wins in a row. Won the belt and defended it 10 times in a row. Volk won 6 Title fights.

Title fights Aldo 11 wins Volk 6. Last I checked 11 > 6.
Winning streak Aldo 25 Volk 21. Last I checked 25 > 21.
Aldo fought much weaker competition back then. You don’t think Volk or Max could beat the same guys Aldo beat? Volk and max would have the same streak and title defense record. Beating Hominick, Lamas and guys like Mike Brown lol. The competition matters when you mention streaks and wins. Max and Volk fought much superior competition and even beat Aldo easily

Aldo lost to Max, Volk and Conor who are considered the greatest featherweights ever.

Aldo fought much weaker competition back then. You don’t think Volk or Max could beat the same guys Aldo beat? Volk and max would have the same streak and title defense record. Beating Hominick, Lamas and guys like Mike Brown lol. The competition matters when you mention streaks and wins. Max and Volk fought much superior competition and even beat Aldo easily

Aldo lost to Max, Volk and Conor who are considered the greatest featherweights ever.

Mike Brown in his prime was a beast. First to dethrone Faber and his win over Pineda aged very well

Mike Brown in his prime was a beast. First to dethrone Faber and his win over Pineda aged very well
I agree but it’s nothing like the competition today. Featherweight isn’t weak like it was then, it’s stacked. If you don’t think Volk and Max couldn’t beat the same fighters and have the same record against Aldo’s competition you’re crazy, they would wipe the floor with them.

I agree but it’s nothing like the competition today. Featherweight isn’t weak like it was then, it’s stacked. If you don’t think Volk and Max couldn’t beat the same fighters and have the same record against Aldo’s competition you’re crazy, they would wipe the floor with them.

Max vs prime Chad Mendes I got Chad tbh

Beating Hominick, Lamas and guys like Mike Brown lol.
Mike Brown was the #1 FW in the world, WEC champion with 2 title defenses and on a 10-fight winning streak when he lost to Aldo.
Lamas was on a 4-win streak and Hominick was on a 5-win streak, both are better than the out of prime version of Korean Zombie that Volk faced.

UFC 179 Mendes would be Champion in todays 145 Division. I love Holloway and Volk, but the only times Volk was in Danger besides Topuria, were Islam (ofc) and Mendes. Mind you, Mendes was a Shell of his Former Self when he fought Volk and still managed to take Volk down, as well as hurt him badly.

A Prime, Focused Chad Mendes would be a Problem for Todays Featherweights. For anyone to dispute this is ABSURD, go rewatch Mendes’s resurgence after the first Aldo loss.

Also, It’s absurd to discredit Frankie and KZ as well. Those guys in their Prime, beat most of the Top Featherweights of today. A Prime Frankie vs Topuria would be a SCRAP.

Aldo had the undisputed GOAT takedown defense. And did it while being spammed with takedown attempts in 90% of his fights.

I'm seeing lists that have Usman or Jones at #1. When did they ever have to defend except maybe a couple of times? lol

The lighter divisions are the best divisions where past competition would hold up successfully against modern competition. They are by far the closest in skillset throughout their existence.

HW is weaker now than it was in 2004-2007 or 2010 to 2015. And we could have an interesting debate which of those timeframes where better, but they are clearly stronger than the current HW division. FW in the WEC/UFC, however, any of the champions from Faber on--in their prime-- would be top five today.

Conor is only in greatest talks when it comes to self-promotion and marketability, not actual fighting.

Mike Brown was the #1 FW in the world, WEC champion with 2 title defenses and on a 10-fight winning streak when he lost to Aldo.
Lamas was on a 4-win streak and Hominick was on a 5-win streak, both are better than the out of prime version of Korean Zombie that Volk faced.
It’s still nothing compared to the skill and competition of the guys today. The game has evolved

Back