When working out, should we be angry or calm?

Baby Hanma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
It seems to be a common thing among trainees to release their pent up anger and frustration when working out. That is never my style. I always make sure I am calm and relaxed before every workout. Am I... Doing things wrong or something?

Shouldn't we be calm before workouts so we can better focus on the workout? Doesn't being calm help us focus on squatting and deadlifting with good form?

Anyway, if you wanna know what prompted me to ask this question, just check out my March 7, 2024 entry on my training log. Some bimbo pissed me off.

But yeah. Anger or calmness? How should we be when lifting weights?

Thanks.

I refuse to understand these pussies who think they get the best results by being "calm."

I only do my best work when I'm one excuse away from shooting someone.

Damn… Well, you and Kirk Karwoski are of one mind. I’m the opposite it seems. I think Kirk just blatantly said that powerlifting is his outward manifestation of how pissed off he is at the world.

Of course, I’m nothing compared to him, but still. Lots of lifters seem calm when training. From all levels of competence.

It depends. There's no point in burning yourself out because you're hyping yourself up by being overly angry or intense during a very normal training session, embracing your inner darkness for a PR-attempt on the deadlift does potentially make sense though. As long as you can keep arousal at a level where you can still properly do what you need to. I can probably get much more intense for a heavy DL than I can for a heavy clean and jerk, the deadlift is just an easier movement pattern to pull off.

Some dumb, attractive bimbo flirted with me in the gym and danced around me when I gave her a song recommendation for her Spotify account. And after all of that, she gave me her phone number. I set up a date with her on Friday (tomorrow), but I am certain she is going to flake based on her lack of response to my text messages. I'd say screw her... Hopefully I don't see her again in my gym, or she will receive a piece of my mind...
Pics of dumb bimbo or ban

Lifting is like my xanax. It's what gets my mind to stop thinking about work stuff, home stuff, etc. I generally don't have the best lifting days if I'm stressed, but I've had really good lifting days if I'm pissed about something or if life is great. I'd say the only time that my lifting is negatively affected is if I'm rushed or really worrying about something.

Anger can make a heavy lift seem lighter, but you can also fuck up easier, hurting yourself.

You will burn yourself out if you are hyped for every session. It is supposed to be a stress relief but you have to contain yourself or bad things will happen.

Anger and flustration are things I battle with time to time. Something like Thai boxing use to make it all go away. If I'm pissed and try to lift flustration takes over and I normally call it quits early. Running seems to help if I can get through the first 10 minutes.

Being able to prime your CNS and getting angry are two different things. You can sniff smelling salts if you want an extra kick before a PR. For PRs or heavy sets I try to get as calm/relaxed as possible. To each their own however.

I think some of my angriest sets were the last few sessions of my 20rep squats a few years ago. I really needed to dig deep for those last five or so reps.

Because they're too weak to be mad at the world.

Tell that to the original Olympic champions who trained under Ivan Abadjiev.

Boevski was half asleep before he easily squatted 550. And the dude was like 160 pounds.

Same thing with Idalberto Aranda when he did his 639 pound squat. lol

Calm mostly. Keep some anger in the back pocket to use when needed.

You’re doing yourself a bigger favor in most situations when you’re controlling your heart rate, recovering between sets and focused on form. Being all angry and spastic is counter productive in most cases it’s an energy leak and can lead to bad form.

Rage does have its place though when you need a boost for a particular reason (last set, lack of motivation, the last prowler sprint when you’re dead, a PR etc).

Back