When working out, should we be angry or calm?

You aren't arguing gym lifts vs meet lifts right now?

I'm always torn in trying to figure out if you are argumentative or just really stupid.
Im saying it is the same movement no matter where you do a lift. You could be on mars and squat and what difference would it make? It is the same movement no matter where you are. What difference does it make if you lift in a meet or not? If you personally squat 600 tommorow and posted a video whether it was in a meet or in your back yard you are strong regardless of if you paid somebody to squat in their money making federation or not.

Im saying it is the same movement no matter where you do a lift. You could be on mars and squat and what difference would it make? It is the same movement no matter where you are. What difference does it make if you lift in a meet or not? If you personally squat 600 tommorow and posted a video whether it was in a meet or in your back yard you are strong regardless of if you paid somebody to squat in their money making federation or not.
Squatting on Mars is different cause there's no oxygen and less gravity.

I think you are making this way to complicated man. If you are overly emotional there is a higher chance of injury and especially if you treat every training session like if you lift the weight you are winning world war 3 or something. I’m not saying to treat every session like it’s another day at the boring office of course you will make better progress if you have passion.

I wasn't making it overly complicated. I simply said there are some lifters that use high levels of arousal in their training successfully. That contradicted your thoughts so you spazzed out.

In the past I've been injured, because I was a little too relaxed and was not prepared to lift heavy weight. I think injuries are more likely to occur at both ends of the spectrum.

Last edited:
I wasn't making it overly complicated. I simply said there are some lifters that use high levels of arousal in their training successfully. That contradicted your thoughts so you spazzed out
Yea I’m the one spazzing. I mentioned to somebody that asked that lifting calmly was the better way to train and then you spazzed out yourself but trying to convolute reasonable advice. Did you even read the article you posted?

“Well, while it does sound like an overture, it simply is your level of “upness.” Some people call it psyched up, some call it jacked up, and some call it pumped up. Whatever it is, it is an up. Many people think all they have to do is get more “up,” and they’ll be able to lift more weight. If they can get into some raging, bull fury, they’ll be able to summon their inner demons and get some ungodly PR.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work that way”

Yea what I said was completely wrong

Yea I’m the one spazzing. I mentioned to somebody that asked that lifting calmly was the better way to train and then you spazzed out yourself but trying to convolute reasonable advice. Did you even read the article you posted?

“Well, while it does sound like an overture, it simply is your level of “upness.” Some people call it psyched up, some call it jacked up, and some call it pumped up. Whatever it is, it is an up. Many people think all they have to do is get more “up,” and they’ll be able to lift more weight. If they can get into some raging, bull fury, they’ll be able to summon their inner demons and get some ungodly PR.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work that way”

Yea what I said was completely wrong
You need to read the whole article, particularly the second to last segment.

Despite drews differences with me we are just trying to help. If you don’t want our help then go pay somebody for help.

The gym is one of the few places I tend to not be angry.

I have a fair amount of stress to deal with in my normal day to day life. At the gym, I try to focus on doing whatever lift I'm training correctly. I can't do that if I'm Hulking out.

Anger can be useful if one is going for a true PR on the Big Three. But since I don't do that anymore, anger is something I try to leave at the gym door.

I never lift angry or pumped up but I don't compete so no reason to. I also never train martial arts angry, I am always calm.

FIne motor skills degrade as you increase your heart rate or add intensity. Powerlifting with a bit of agression once you have some years of technique under your belt will result in bigger lifts. Like all intense training it should be primarily used during your peaking sessions leading into a comp.

Pre lift is all intensity, post lift is intensity, during the lift is nothing but calm and controlled.

I think the answer is to be angry when cooking rice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back