Media Which fighters should GLORY Kickboxing sign?

Guys! :

Dennis Kornman, the producer of Eurosport NL and the host of Dutch MMA podcasts ‘Vechtersbazen’ and ‘De Gouden Kooi’ (together with Gilbert Yvel and Big Marcel Dorff) revealed during yesterdays edition of ‘De Gouden Kooi’ that Glory will be coming out with some HUGE news soon, but he can’t tell what, because he’s promised not to say anything about it.
(timestamped)

For the record:
I know that Dennis Kornman was in Florida last week to visit his good friend Henri Hooft (headcoach of Sanford MMA / Kill Cliff FC).
He visited the gym and was along the fighters, coaches, etc. all week.
Coming back to the Netherlands, he revealed that Glory will be coming out with some very big news soon.
Tyrone Spong also trains there. Maybe the news is about him signing with Glory? Wouldn’t surprise me tbh.
Spong was already negotiating with Glory last year, but unfortunately they didn’t get to an agreement at the time.
Anyway, I’m very curious what the big news is going to be.

Last weekend at LFL 6 Amsterdam I met Dennis Kornman in person. We talked for a few minutes and at some point I asked him about the “BIG news” regarding Glory that he was talking about on his podcast a week before. He said: “Hahahah I’ve said to much didn’t I, but okay, Glory is coming with some huge news very soon, that’s all I can say about it.”
Then I made sure to make eye contact with him and waited for a moment, before I said: “So Tyrone Spong is signing with Glory?!”
The look on his face when I said that was hilarious, he looked shocked, and he didn’t know what to say<45>
So I just said: “Well I guess in some time we’ll know what’s going on with Glory. Dennis, have a nice evening, enjoy the fights and I see you tomorrow at your podcast.” He thanked me for the conversation and wished me a good evening too.

So now I’m 100% sure Tyrone Spong is signing with Glory Kickboxing, just from his whole attitude
when I confronted him with my idea of the "big news" he was talking about.
Also, if the news had absolutely nothing to do with Tyrone Spong then he would’ve simply said “That's not the case.”

Here’s a pic of me and Dennis at LFL 6

View attachment 946774

And here Dennis talks about meeting me at LFL 6 on his podcast the day after

Tyrone Spong and Henri Hooft go on “another ride”
<{fry}>

Tyrone Spong’s teammate Derek Brunson commented “RICO”

upload_2022-11-3_0-55-20.jpeg

{<redford}

Kato was getting owned badly 99% of that fight under Kickboxing rules. Schilling was chinny already.

Now Kato is on K-1 and usually gets knock out by your average iranian second level fighter or the casual fatty japanese fighter under Kickboxing rules.

Pezão Silva and Pat Barry is what usually happens when an UFC fighter goes to compete on Glory; Kato against Schilling is the thunder falling twice in the same place.

I thought the worst disgrace happened to Kickboxing was Horiguchi making an extremely close fight against Tenshin.

But is a lot more disgraceful for *** having Adesanya and Pereira cutting through the UFC MW division like knives going through hot butter. The good advertisment these two guys made for Glory in the biggest *** brand in the world surpasses by far the bad advertisement of anything Joe Schilling could do on his life.
Kickboxing/MT has always been seen as "second-rate" compared to MMA historically. It pretty much stems from the K1/PRIDE days. Think Rampage Jackson vs Cyril Abidi or Boba Sappu beating Hoost twice. It was basically hardwired in fans from the get-go.

In all honesty, Bigfoot shouldn't have been put in there with Rico. If GLORY absolutely HAD to have him, the appropriate fight for Bigfoot Silva, an aging MMA vet with championship credentials, would have been someone like Guto Inocente, Catalin Morosanu, or Nicolas Wamba. That fight was obviously made for GLORY to say: "See? Kickboxers can beat MMA guys too!". The match-up didn't do kickboxing any favors IMO.

Gokhan Saki going to the UFC and getting smashed by Khalil Rountree didn't do much for KB either. However, it's surreal to me how Alex Pereira put GLORY on the map just a few years later. I've certainly never heard this many people in the American audience talk about GLORY at this capacity ever. Admittedly, I grew up with the bias that KB was subpar to MMA after watching the Kato/Schilling stuff go down in Bellator back in 2015/16. It's a shame Coker didn't do any more crossovers after that and it's probably the reason BellaKick never gained traction.

Admittedly, I grew up with the bias that KB was subpar to MMA after watching the Kato/Schilling stuff go down in Bellator back in 2015/16. It's a shame Coker didn't do any more crossovers after that and it's probably the reason BellaKick never gained traction.
Grew up? That was only a few years ago. Besides that fight was blown out of proportion. Kato, as a 3x all Japan Kudo champion, was an accomplished standup fighter. Not to mention that Schilling always had a suspect chin and was prone to underestimating fighters he percived as being beneath him. Look at the Eddie Walker fight, same deal, a decent and relatively accomplished fighter who was a big puncher, finds a way to weather a beating and get a ko. Neither were nearly as good as some of the scalps Joe had on his resume, but being an elite fighter doesn't make you invulnerable to an unknown with nothing to loose and everything to gain by beating you. Especially if you lack the chin and durability that could afford you taking a good puncher lightly.

Kickboxing/MT has always been seen as "second-rate" compared to MMA historically.
That's just flat out not true. K-1 was bigger than Pride in Japan. Kickboxing was bigger than MMA in Europe BY A LOT. Really the only place historically that MMA was bigger than Kickboxing was in the US, and that took quite a while to happen.

Grew up? That was only a few years ago. Besides that fight was blown out of proportion. Kato, as a 3x all Japan Kudo champion, was an accomplished standup fighter. Not to mention that Schilling always had a suspect chin and was prone to underestimating fighters he percived as being beneath him. Look at the Eddie Walker fight, same deal, a decent and relatively accomplished fighter who was a big puncher, finds a way to weather a beating and get a ko. Neither were nearly as good as some of the scalps Joe had on his resume, but being an elite fighter doesn't make you invulnerable to an unknown with nothing to loose and everything to gain by beating you. Especially if you lack the chin and durability that could afford you taking a good puncher lightly.
I was 19 back then with a fast food job and at my parent’s place. I consider it growing up compared to now lol. But 7 years ago is a long time whatever way you slice it.

but good point. It’s more about Schilling than it says anything about KB as a whole.
That's just flat out not true. K-1 was bigger than Pride in Japan. Kickboxing was bigger than MMA in Europe BY A LOT. Really the only place historically that MMA was bigger than Kickboxing was in the US, and that took quite a while to happen.
Forgive me for that, I’m speaking from an American’s viewpoint. Any kickboxers that were talked about here in the states always had ties to MMA (Cro Cop, Overeem, etc). Hell, I heard more people talking about Joe Schilling talk about KOing some poor guy in a bar than anything he did in GLORY.

I was 19 back then with a fast food job and at my parent’s place. I consider it growing up compared to now lol. But 7 years ago is a long time whatever way you slice it.

but good point. It’s more about Schilling than it says anything about KB as a whole.

Forgive me for that, I’m speaking from an American’s viewpoint. Any kickboxers that were talked about here in the states always had ties to MMA (Cro Cop, Overeem, etc). Hell, I heard more people talking about Joe Schilling talk about KOing some poor guy in a bar than anything he did in GLORY.
I guess I'm not all that much older than you after all. BTW that was 7 years ago? God damn.

Has anyone seen the Rivals card?
Balli is on a 5-fight losing streak now and Jay Overmeer did a great job and dominated Robin Ciric over 3 rounds.
Didn’t expect him to make it look that easy, great job from the young Dutchman!

upload_2022-11-7_17-46-26.jpeg

Has anyone seen the Rivals card?
Balli is on a 5-fight losing streak now and Jay Overmeer did a great job and dominated Robin Ciric over 3 rounds.
Didn’t expect him to make it look that easy, great job from the young Dutchman!

View attachment 951798

Yeah I enjoyed the Rivals card. I thought Overmeer VS Ciric was going to be fireworks (and in some ways it was I suppose), but Overmeer looked stellar and Robin didn't really have much for him. Maybe it's the matchups, but so far the Glory guys have been doing much better than the Enfusion guys on these cards

Yeah I enjoyed the Rivals card. I thought Overmeer VS Ciric was going to be fireworks (and in some ways it was I suppose), but Overmeer looked stellar and Robin didn't really have much for him. Maybe it's the matchups, but so far the Glory guys have been doing much better than the Enfusion guys on these cards
The December Rivals card in Japan with Rise is going to be super interesting imo

Also, what did you make of Cookie’s fight vs the 140kg-obese version of Hasbulla? @Monte Moku

The December Rivals card in Japan with Rise is going to be super interesting imo

Yes it will be!! The matchups so far look like they will be produce some bangers, and the cherry on top is that the good stuff will start around 6:00 AM on Christmas morning for me. Get to start my favorite holiday with some coffee and Kickboxing :D

I also think K-1 is really going to start lagging behind if they don't go the way of Rise and co-promote more (especially now that Takeru left), and I would really like to see how some of my favorite guys in K-1 do against international opposition more often. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, what did you make of Cookie’s fight vs the 140kg-obese version of Hasbulla? @Monte Moku

That fight was the perfect example of why I usually don't pay much attention to Heavyweights. Slow, plodding, slugging potshots without much regard for strategy or tactics. It does look cool when they finally go down though haha

Sorry for the very late reply btw, sometimes I miss my sherdog notifications

Yes it will be!! The matchups so far look like they will be produce some bangers, and the cherry on top is that the good stuff will start around 6:00 AM on Christmas morning for me. Get to start my favorite holiday with some coffee and Kickboxing :D

I also think K-1 is really going to start lagging behind if they don't go the way of Rise and co-promote more (especially now that Takeru left), and I would really like to see how some of my favorite guys in K-1 do against international opposition more often. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That fight was the perfect example of why I usually don't pay much attention to Heavyweights. Slow, plodding, slugging potshots without much regard for strategy or tactics. It does look cool when they finally go down though haha

No problem man, thanks for the reply!

Tell me about it, i've been dying to see Petch vs Kongnapa for years, but it's never gonna happen.

Back