Which sparring headgear should I use?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've never used headgear before, which I now think was a mistake, so I want a good protective headgear.
Here are the two that I've found:

Pros:
-offers by far the most cushion from all those that I've seen, way more than the FG5000 (which was confirmed by many reviews I've read
-save my face
Cons:
-Chin is open
-Vision isn't that great

Pros :
-chin is covered
-better vision

Cons :
-thinner padding

Goal would be to find some headgear that is as thick as the first one, but covers the chin like the second.
I wish they had put that thick bar of the 1st one on the chin instead of on the face. Getting hit on the chin is way worse than getting bruises or a broken nose. Plus it would allow for better vision.
Don't understand why they keep putting the bar that high. Even the Winning F5000, considered as the best headgear in the world, leaves you chin wide open for uppercut you can't see well because of the fucking bar. Or am I mistaken there?

So my question is do you know a headgear that is extra-thick while still covering the chin?

I honestly think both those in the original post look pretty bad.

Not so selled on that one man because :
-I think that Winning aren't padded enough;
-a grill would have been better, the plastic shield sticks out too much.
Why do u want to train if you want something so ridiculously protective.

You've never even tried a headguard but you're gonna day winnings the head guard everyone says is amazing isn't good enough

Like I said a big fat padded headguard is just gonna make ur head a massive target and slow down any and all headmovement

Go with the GOAT winning fg2900 or if you want something cheaper the synthetic fly version or an uma r9 plenty

I have some experience here. Former boxer (amateur) and last bout was at age 52 in USA Boxing Masters division. Headgear is supplementary to proper head positioning. Meaning proper form for your head. Eyes looking at your opponent through your eyebrows, chin tucked, never taking your eyes off your opponent. I have broken my nose more times than I can remember. Had 2 surgeries, first one to be able to breath through my nose because you cannot fight with your mouth open. Second was to straighten it out after I quit fighting. No contact headgear is best for sparring. If your chin is properly tucked and your biting down when in a set with your opponent, you don’t need to worry about your chin as much as your nose. You give up vision for padding. But if you keep your eyes on your opponent you rarely get hit with a shot that will lift your chin. If you hands are in proper position, you can cup an uppercut and slow it down. I’ve had my chin split in a star cut (cut in 5 different ways) but that was a result of being turned, not lifting my head. I use an open faced Everlast “old school headgear”. Head tilted correctly and that provides all the protection I need.

I have some experience here. Former boxer (amateur) and last bout was at age 52 in USA Boxing Masters division. Headgear is supplementary to proper head positioning. Meaning proper form for your head. Eyes looking at your opponent through your eyebrows, chin tucked, never taking your eyes off your opponent. I have broken my nose more times than I can remember. Had 2 surgeries, first one to be able to breath through my nose because you cannot fight with your mouth open. Second was to straighten it out after I quit fighting. No contact headgear is best for sparring. If your chin is properly tucked and your biting down when in a set with your opponent, you don’t need to worry about your chin as much as your nose. You give up vision for padding. But if you keep your eyes on your opponent you rarely get hit with a shot that will lift your chin. If you hands are in proper position, you can cup an uppercut and slow it down. I’ve had my chin split in a star cut (cut in 5 different ways) but that was a result of being turned, not lifting my head. I use an open faced Everlast “old school headgear”. Head tilted correctly and that provides all the protection I need.
The problem with that big headgear is that I won't see the shots coming (especially in kickboxing sparring) and that my hands will be in such unusual positions because my head will be twice as big.
I think I'm gonna go with the full face headgear.

Why do u want to train if you want something so ridiculously protective.

You've never even tried a headguard but you're gonna day winnings the head guard everyone says is amazing isn't good enough

Like I said a big fat padded headguard is just gonna make ur head a massive target and slow down any and all headmovement
I love sparring, but I've read too much on CTE lately to do it without headgear anymore (even if it's light to mederate kickboxing sparring)

I love sparring, but I've read too much on CTE lately to do it without headgear anymore (even if it's light to mederate kickboxing sparring)
If you're the worried maybe you shouldn't be sparring at all tbh

And the winning headgear should be plenty

The problem with that big headgear is that I won't see the shots coming (especially in kickboxing sparring) and that my hands will be in such unusual positions because my head will be twice as big.
I think I'm gonna go with the full face headgear.
I’ve heard the same about using heavy gloves. I’m 183 lbs-83 kilos and spar in 20oz gloves. There’s several reasons. First, I like the sensation of training my upper body while sparring. Second, it’s a courtesy to my sparring partners cause I’m old but I carried my power into my old age. I don’t like sparring getting interrupted because I was more worried about my shots getting through than I was about hurting sparring partners. Third, I have been boxing for 44 of my 57 years and I have discovered sparring is about learning-it is not the Olympic Box Offs or the WBC light heavyweight championship, it’s s working on technique and effectiveness. The same applies to headgear. If I can’t protect myself with my headgear on, then maybe I’m not ready to spar. Yes, I’ve been dropped in heavy sparring. 2 weeks ago an elite amateur middleweight put me on my ass. I train hard for a reason. I spar for a reason. I train to win, I spar to learn. Fighting is a contact sport and everyone has a different reason for fighting. You are going to fight and that’s a contact sport. You might as well condition your body for the contact. When I break my nose, I put on the facebar. Otherwise, being more concerned about getting hit with a good shot instead of landing the good shot may mean you are not prepared to spar. When I’m in with a novice boxer or a lady boxer, I pull my shots. I get nothing out of beating up a less experienced boxer. If you are not being paired with fighters who have similar experience, you need to find another gym where they have those fighters. If you’re more concerned about getting hit than hitting them, there is always soccer. I’m not being glib here. You’re in there to learn. Sparring needs to be a positive experience. My son is an amateur. He is undefeated at 175, 165 and this will be his first fight at 152. He has sparred with better amateur boxers, professional fighters who have fought for world titles and he has taken a beating. Especially if his last 4 rounds of 10 rounds of sparring is a fighter who took Mario Barrios to the brink. But he has learned a great deal too. He has also dished out some serious beatings of his own. Safety is smart, but safety at the expense of experiencing the consequences of your mistakes will keep you safe yes, but inexperienced about the flaws in your technique. I’m older, the shots hurt more, my legs are aging and don’t listen to my brain anymore, but I love boxing. All that training has a very specific purpose. To hit and not get hit. And I learn something every time I spar, and yes, every time I get hurt. What do I learn?—- Don’t do that again.

Have you tried flys headgear? What's it like
I have their face bar one in the synthetic it’s good super light and smaller profile than the winning one so easier to slip but it seems to have a little less padding. At the moment I have that, and both winning fg2900 and fg5000 and I am nearly always use the fg2900 unless I know it’s going to be super heavy or I have meeting for work or something then I will use a face bar one normally the fly at the min

I have their face bar one in the synthetic it’s good super light and smaller profile than the winning one so easier to slip but it seems to have a little less padding. At the moment I have that, and both winning fg2900 and fg5000 and I am nearly always use the fg2900 unless I know it’s going to be super heavy or I have meeting for work or something then I will use a face bar one normally the fly at the min
Why do u choose flys face bar over winning,

Im not sure if i should save up for

The fg2500

Fly x cheek protector

Or flys premium line cheek protector

Why do u choose flys face bar over winning,

Im not sure if i should save up for

The fg2500

Fly x cheek protector

Or flys premium line cheek protector
You mean the fg2900? That’s the one that’s comparable to the fly cheek ones. Are you in the UK? Personally I would get the winning of those I just think it’s the best headguard out there if cost is an issue then the fly x version. I really like fly gear but I just think the fg2900 is the best one out there

I am on my 2nd fg2900 now I had the medium and it was a little small but I got a good price from an x pro but now I am using the large size and it’s better

I prefer the fly face bar over the winning as it’s less bulky and the vision is better. Simon at fit2box did a good review

You mean the fg2900? That’s the one that’s comparable to the fly cheek ones. Are you in the UK? Personally I would get the winning of those I just think it’s the best headguard out there if cost is an issue then the fly x version. I really like fly gear but I just think the fg2900 is the best one out there

I am on my 2nd fg2900 now I had the medium and it was a little small but I got a good price from an x pro but now I am using the large size and it’s better

I prefer the fly face bar over the winning as it’s less bulky and the vision is better. Simon at fit2box did a good review
Honestly I dont know if I'll even order headgear its a lot of money for something I don't actually know if it works. I mean I've only ever used the am comp hesdguards I've never even put on a cheek protector one let alone a Facebar, does it actually make a difference

I also haven't really seen people use the fly cheek protector headgear so not much info on it

Well all pro boxers use them them spar in and most clubs won’t let you spend without one. Fly is a newer brand and as it’s up based you see more uk based fighters using it although gloves seem to be more popular than the headgear but a fly x face bar is around £165 whilst a winning one is about £400

Well all pro boxers use them them spar in and most clubs won’t let you spend without one. Fly is a newer brand and as it’s up based you see more uk based fighters using it although gloves seem to be more popular than the headgear but a fly x face bar is around £165 whilst a winning one is about £400
Idk I also get worried that, if it did work, it'd provide a false sense of security

Sparring in the sting competition headgear gets me exactly use to the gear, how heavy it, and what sort of protection it brings

Do u find this to be a problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back