News White to Aspinall: Defend Interim Title or Sit on the Shelf. You Don't Get Jones.

Likely. They’re both too damn old and are being saved from being retired by Aspinall.
That’s exactly what is happening. Aspinal won’t just be taken down like Gane or Francis and be a fish out of water, which is the only way either of them will win against a semi athletic HW.

Aspinal would finish them by strikes in R1. So much faster and than either

It will never happen. Dana will give up eventually. Stipe vs Jones will not happen. Jones will eventually just retire and relinquish the belt. Stipe is too old to fight anymore and has a full-time firefighter career to manage.

They'll accept this reality one day.

Well I guess Tom should just enjoy the next year of being champ... because after the jones/stipe fight they are going to retire and Tom will go from interim to undisputed without having to fight either guy.

Tom doesn't have much to actually gain by defending the interim belt. It's all risk.

Meanwhile he can do some talk shows or film a movie while he waits for the old timers to fight.
I honestly don't think it works like that. But it's a gray area.

Once Jones defends against Stipe, the 'interim title' vanishes. So... Aspinall cannot be promoted to official champ, and any defenses of the 'interim title' he has vanish as well. He will have to fight another fighter for the vacant belt.

We'll see how this all plays out, but that's my take on the potential reality.

I'm still interested in the Stipe Jones fight as a legacy fight but at this point it shouldn't be for the belt. Back when it was originally made, fine, but not after this long. As long as Tom is getting championship pay though I guess it doesn't matter too much. The fans know what's up. Aspinall Blaydes coming soon hopefully.

I honestly don't think it works like that. But it's a gray area.

Once Jones defends against Stipe, the 'interim title' vanishes. So... Aspinall cannot be promoted to official champ, and any defenses of the 'interim title' he has vanish as well. He will have to fight another fighter for the vacant belt.

We'll see how this all plays out, but that's my take on the potential reality.

Yeah that's pretty gray indeed.

What's the incentive for Tom to defend the interim title (outside of obviously getting paid).

He could lose, then he's never was the real champ and if he wins, it still means nothing because he has to fight again.

I really hope UFC is putting a timeline on this stuff.

After the Jones/Miocic fight, the winner should have 30 or 60 days to sign a new fight or vacate given the circumstances.

In this scenario where both guys are potentially retiring after the fight (or at least the winner might), it might be a benefit to tell Tom that if he defends the interim belt successfully, he would be guaranteed the winner of Jones/Stipe OR be named the undisputed when the winner of Jones/Stipe declines to fight Tom to unify the belt.

Clear as mud.

Is Jon even going to be able to get back in shape by the time he's healed? He's fat af and probably needs an extended camp. At this rate we won't see these guys fight untl early 2025. Without a doubt Stipe will be ready to go faster as he's a fire fighter and has to be in decent shape by default. It's Jon that's the problem.

Yeah that's pretty gray indeed.

What's the incentive for Tom to defend the interim title (outside of obviously getting paid).

He could lose, then he's never was the real champ and if he wins, it still means nothing because he has to fight again.

I really hope UFC is putting a timeline on this stuff.

After the Jones/Miocic fight, the winner should have 30 or 60 days to sign a new fight or vacate given the circumstances.

In this scenario where both guys are potentially retiring after the fight (or at least the winner might), it might be a benefit to tell Tom that if he defends the interim belt successfully, he would be guaranteed the winner of Jones/Stipe OR be named the undisputed when the winner of Jones/Stipe declines to fight Tom to unify the belt.

Clear as mud.
the positive would be he gets 5 round main events and title pay, so he can still benefit financially. But that doesn't make up for the fact that the most beneficial fight would be an official title fight.

Jon doesn't want the fight. It's high risk low reward. What do you want Dana to do about it? You can't force someone to fight.

I hate to wish injury upon anyone, but the best thing would be for Jones to get another injury to where the UFC would have to strip him, or he could go to jail, either or.

I hate to wish injury upon anyone, but the best thing would be for Jones to get another injury to where the UFC would have to strip him, or he could go to jail, either or.

Both of those things are garbage thoughts my man.

How about we root for Jones to fight stipe and challenge Tom?

Both of those things are garbage thoughts my man.

How about we root for Jones to fight stipe and challenge Tom?
That's wishful thinking, we all know he'll never fight Tom. Jones vs Stipe is bullshit as well.

Jon doesn't want the fight. It's high risk low reward. What do you want Dana to do about it? You can't force someone to fight.
Dana is happy to get a go out of Jones and Stipe. He always can have Tom. Jones and Stipe showing up is rare. They are semi retired.

Back