Movies Who do you put on your mount rushmore of film directors?

Out of these 4 film directors - Who's the best?

• Total voters
Wes craven is better than everyone people under the stairs

Tarantino
Coen Brothers
Clinton Eastwood
Stanley Kubrick

And Cameron Crowe is the goat writer<Wendy01>

Just my personal Mt Rushmore(there's many great directors whose work I've never witnessed):

Spielberg
Hitchcock
Scorcese
Tarantino

Honorable mention: Coen Bros
I feel bad now leaving off QT---He really has a hell of a resume with a few of my all time favorites in Res. Dogs and pulp Fiction. Hateful Eight is under rated and the more I watch Bastards, the more I see the greatness in it.

There’s so many directors I’ve never seen. But I’ll go:

Kubrick
Fellini
Scorsese
Hitchcock

@BisexualMMA I often agree with you but alot of your takes here baffle me

Carpenter hasn't made mounds of utter crap that's such a myth. His quality dropped then he made some bad films. But overall his body of work is good.

You saying Spielberg sucks at comedy cos 1941 and cameron is better at comedy cos true lies but that fails to.take into account the indies which are comedy heavy and I'd say a much more fair comparison to true lies

You say Spielberg hasn't made a great film in 30 years...neither has Cameron

The whole Spielberg has five films worst than Cameron's worst film( excluding his worst film and what you said excludes it is fairly common thing to happen for first time directors) can be played back that Spielberg has more good films than Cameron just on numbers

As for giving points for avatars being mega hits as a bonus for him as a director come on now.

I'm even huge Spielberg fan but man is Cameron overrated

@BisexualMMA I often agree with you but alot of your takes here baffle me

Carpenter hasn't made mounds of utter crap that's such a myth. His quality dropped then he made some bad films. But overall his body of work is good.

You saying Spielberg sucks at comedy cos 1941 and cameron is better at comedy cos true lies but that fails to.take into account the indies which are comedy heavy and I'd say a much more fair comparison to true lies

You say Spielberg hasn't made a great film in 30 years...neither has Cameron

The whole Spielberg has five films worst than Cameron's worst film( excluding his worst film and what you said excludes it is fairly common thing to happen for first time directors) can be played back that Spielberg has more good films than Cameron just on numbers

As for giving points for avatars being mega hits as a bonus for him as a director come on now.

I'm even huge Spielberg fan but man is Cameron overrated

Spielberg's total output gives him room for some clunkers but I do have to say that Cameron has never made a bad movie. His worst movie is Avatar 2 and it's not bad. Then probably Avatar, the biggest movie of all time. Then maybe Titanic which won best picture and was also the biggest movie of all time. He's up there with a handful of directors, Spielberg included, who have made a couple 10/10 films. But offhand who has done that and never made one bad movie. And yeah I don't respect box office alone when it's just demonstrable dog shit like Transformers and F&F but Avatar doesn't sink to those levels artistically.

You are right, Cameron hasn't made a great movie in 30 years either. But in those thirty years since I have sat through (from Spielberg) Indiana Jones 4, The BFG and more. Indiana Jones 4 is honestly really hard to excuse.

I don't mind if others don't hold Cameron in as high regard as I do but I think The Terminator is an all time great achievement in film. I don't think I've ever seen another movie succeed entirely and independently as sci fi, action, horror and a romance film.

John Carpenter...his peak was a lot of fun. But Escape from LA was bad and Ghosts of Mars is one of the worst movies I have ever seen from a real director. I actually like Vampires and Memoirs of an Invisible Man better than most. Yeah okay "mounds" of crap was maybe an overstatement. He basically retired once he couldn't make a watchable movie anymore.

Last edited:
Gilliam is kind of like Wes Anderson or Tim Burton...quite good at what he is good at. I really didn't like Jabberwocky or Zero Theorem though.
As above, people keep listing movies they didn't like and which I've never seen lol so I can't comment on their quality, but as I said, if you make enough movies you're bound to have some that don't work out well, I think. If you're an artist and you aren't failing regularly to achieve what you want I think you're not trying hard enough to really create--or you're a fucking genius. Whether it's comedy or song writing or making a film, you need to push hard to produce truly creative work and that's bound to not work out sometimes.

And of course, even with what little I know about the film industry, I'm sure there can be tons of reasons why a movie doesn't turn out well that can be out of the control of the director.

That sounds like a rather strident defense of Gilliam, but I assure you I'm only talking in generalities. I just think that anyone can hit a creative dry spell for any number of reasons and then your only two options are to quit or fake it till you make it out of the bog and that necessarily means coming up with some real shit now and then.

Natural talent of any kind is a funky and mercurial unpredictable thing.

As above, people keep listing movies they didn't like and which I've never seen lol so I can't comment on their quality, but as I said, if you make enough movies you're bound to have some that don't work out well, I think. If you're an artist and you aren't failing regularly to achieve what you want I think you're not trying hard enough to really create--or you're a fucking genius.

That's part of why I hold Cameron and Kubrick in very high regard. They are geniuses.

Love these threads if only for how it can pique your interest in films from other eras or films you missed.

Foundational or Influential MR
Kurosawa
Bergman
Hitchcock
Ford

Personal
Kubrick
Coppola
Cameron
David Lynch

Lynch is probably the only one who isn't consensus top 10 and though most of his work feels experimental and half finished, the majority of his stuff is so rewatchable and Season 3 of Twin Peaks is for me personally the greatest thing I have ever seen. Though his version of Dune is panned by most and there is not enough connective tissue for the movie to make sense without knowing the story, I was obsessed with Dune as a kid and some of the effects perfectly visualized some of the elements I had trouble imagining (Sandworms, Guild navigators, et.al). I love so many of his choices including casting, music, cinematography, taking the Kynes dream to fruition and so on, I only wish it could have been a two film saga and was better able to fill out the rest of the story.

Best from your list?

Hitchcock (Kubrick for me)

Mt Rushmore:

Kubrick
Hitchcock
Spielberg
Cameron

Kubrick
Kurosawa
Bergman

Not really sure about #4 tbh. By rights I guess it should be Hitchcock, but his films just feel so dated to me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his influence on film, but I don't enjoy his work nearly as much as my top 3. I guess I'd probably have to flip a coin to pick between Leone and Scorsese.

Back