Who from the upcoming generation is most likely to become a superstar?

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ryan Garcia, Tommy Fury and Gervonta Davis seem to have the biggest fanbases.

Can any of them get to a Canelo level of fame?

Devin Haney and Vergil Ortiz. I can’t see how either of these guys can’t reach super star status.

I don’t see Davis doing much above 130. I picture him as a small LW and if his power doesn’t carry he’ll get stopped by the better guys at that weight. Ryan Garcia has the fan base but until he faces better comp. it’s hard to say how big he can get.

Tommy fucking Fury...are you joking?

Zero. Boxing is dead, haven't you all heard?

Honestly, I think it'll be though. Viewing formats are changing and if fighters get a guaranteed x figure fight deal that guarantees money they can cherry pick because that fight deal is from a network and not a promotion holding a belt. This is where the UFC has such a powerful managerial and organizational advantage. It can cultivate stars if they have the patience to not rush them. Boxing is opposite, they are too patient. Look at some of these guys waiting till they are 30 before they face a true test.

I don't know who will be the next star. If you only fight 1 or 2 times a year against "opponent" then you got no chance. 3x a year and being marketed properly makes a big difference. A fighter is a one man brand.

Zero. Boxing is dead, haven't you all heard?

Honestly, I think it'll be though. Viewing formats are changing and if fighters get a guaranteed x figure fight deal that guarantees money they can cherry pick because that fight deal is from a network and not a promotion holding a belt. This is where the UFC has such a powerful managerial and organizational advantage. It can cultivate stars if they have the patience to not rush them. Boxing is opposite, they are too patient. Look at some of these guys waiting till they are 30 before they face a true test.

I don't know who will be the next star. If you only fight 1 or 2 times a year against "opponent" then you got no chance. 3x a year and being marketed properly makes a big difference. A fighter is a one man brand.
Yeah, activity is important. And I have the feeling that guys like Spence have missed the boat a bit by fighting so infrequently and against guys who can’t really push them. He’ll still make a lot of money but he’ll never be a Leonard, De La Hoya or Canelo.

I really do have high hopes for Haney and Ortiz, though.

Yeah, activity is important. And I have the feeling that guys like Spence have missed the boat a bit by fighting so infrequently and against guys who can’t really push them. He’ll still make a lot of money but he’ll never be a Leonard, De La Hoya or Canelo.

I really do have high hopes for Haney and Ortiz, though.

And no disrespect to Canelo who is, in my estimation, a supreme boxer, but if he wasn't ginger and if he didn't catch a few of those close cards, he would be less popular. It's the way people can get, especially for those that are drive-by fans of the sport.

Ortiz can become a very exciting fighter. Dunno if he’d reach superstardom, though.

Gervonta Davis? lol

I would like to see Teofimo Lopez, or even Inoue/Shiro becoming a star. But they would have to fight in the USA

Naoya Inoue. Not sure Davis is good enough or can stay out of trouble to become a star. Errol Spence after he finally gets to beat some big names.

No clue. Too manny crazy factors- promotion, a good rival, an epic fight, a Hollywood moment.

Who would have said Arturo Gatti would be a superstar? Before Hearns Hagler struggled with recognition.

Amir Khan was once the next great thing.

Shakur Stevenson has the tools to be great but he's already shown himself to be something of a shithead outside of the ring and if he doesn't get it together legal trouble will probably derail his career in the not too distant future.

Haney has the promotional leverage and seems to think in the long-term, but something about him never looked the goods to me. He seems like an athletic guy imitating what he thinks is good boxing and IMO doesn't have the substantial physical gifts necessary to make that work at an elite level. I will reserve judgment until after he's developed his 'man-strength.'

Teofimo and Garcia will probably get knocked off at some point in the next 2-3 years, after that they'll probably be B+ level guys with solid name recognition but won't be expressly "elite;" Teofimo's style leaves something to be desired and he seems too hardheaded to take criticism and expand his game and I straight up don't think Garcia has that dog in him. I know gym wars are stupid but the Rollie sparring vid hints that he lacks confidence when things get rough.

I can't imagine guys like Floyd, Pac, Oscar or any of the superstars of the last generation running around the ring and holding if somebody stepped to them like that in the gym. Who knows though, hanging out with Canelo for an extended period of time might do him good.

Devin Haney and Vergil Ortiz. I can’t see how either of these guys can’t reach super star status.

I don’t see Davis doing much above 130. I picture him as a small LW and if his power doesn’t carry he’ll get stopped by the better guys at that weight. Ryan Garcia has the fan base but until he faces better comp. it’s hard to say how big he can get.
I agree with virtually all of this.

Haney and Stevenson. Vergil Ortiz is a dark horse because he isn't much of a talker, but,
At 21, he was tested and looked good against a very game orozco. He can be a superstar in the future.

Ryan is a good looking dude so that's why he's as popular as he is. He needs to beat some quality fighters before im sold on him as a future star.

Last edited:
Tommy fucking Fury...are you joking?

He's legitimately famous in the UK. He has 2.7m followers on instagram, that's more than his brother, Wilder, Lomachenko, Khan, Broner, Andy Ruiz etc

He's legitimately famous in the UK. He has 2.7m followers on instagram, that's more than his brother, Wilder, Lomachenko, Khan, Broner, Andy Ruiz etc

He cant fucking box though, being an instagram model is not the same as a world boxing superstar

I agree Devin Haney is on the fast track to be a star. He's only 20, he was banging that whore who is famous for being a whore, Blac Chyna which put him in the spotlight a tiny bit outside of just boxing, and most of all he seems to be the real deal. Has a bright future ahead of him for sure. He's still growing and he'll probably end up at ww by his physical prime which has always been a very popular weightclass, obv. I'd put him at the top rn, tbh.

Back