Who Has The Best Chance Of Beating Nunes That She Hasn't Fought?

Not a one, maybe Cejudo in a sports bra, Amanda is scary a woman...

giphy.gif

Aspen, Aldana, Megan, Felicia..

None of the gals you posted.

GDR rematch needs to happen - hopefully GDR is drilling the shit outta takedown defence and getting up from the bottom.

After that initial bum rush in the first nunes turned panic wrestler to avoid having to stand with GDR. Nunes is a glorified brawler who hits hard enough, is fast and is able goad her opponents in to brawls in which she is the faster fighter (even if power is roughly the same like in the cris fight) and is able to get her shots in first.

You saw how Val was able to negate her but she just did not have the punching power to threaten her. Then we have GDR who survived that bum rush and did not play in the game of brawl with me who then showed her better stand up skill set coupled with enough punching power to not only get respect but threaten and turn nunes in to a cub.
She lost in the rematch.. doubt they match them up for a third time anytime soon.

None of the gals you posted.

GDR rematch needs to happen - hopefully GDR is drilling the shit outta takedown defence and getting up from the bottom.

After that initial bum rush in the first nunes turned panic wrestler to avoid having to stand with GDR. Nunes is a glorified brawler who hits hard enough, is fast and is able goad her opponents in to brawls in which she is the faster fighter (even if power is roughly the same like in the cris fight) and is able to get her shots in first.

You saw how Val was able to negate her but she just did not have the punching power to threaten her. Then we have GDR who survived that bum rush and did not play in the game of brawl with me who then showed her better stand up skill set coupled with enough punching power to not only get respect but threaten and turn nunes in to a cub.
The GDR rematch did happen, and she got dominated again. That's twice now that Nunes has decisively beaten GDR, not sure why you want to see it happen a third time. Nunes wasn't "panic wrestling", her gameplan was to wrestle and she executed that gameplan highly successfully. The idea that Nunes needs to stand with the best striker in the division for the win to be legitimate is fucking ridiculous. It was an mma fight and Nunes comprehensively proved herself to be the better mma fighter.

I don't feel good about the chances of anyone in BW or FW right now, but maybe one of the greener fighters will show some good signs in the future.

Megan Anderson seems like she's got some potential, but she doesn't seem on course to close the gap. I'm still bummed about Sara McMann -- she really should have been a much better fighter than she is but at 39, we've probably seen her best already.

Yeah. I don't think any of these people beat Nunes. She is just too good right now. I think if you give someone like Macy Chiasson a couple years in the oven, she might be able to compete down the line. She seems to be working hard and will probably learn a lot from her loss to Lina. She is rangey, has a killer instinct, and is getting more well rounded. I think Macy will be a champ at some point.

I don't even know half of these women. But the answer is no. Until you have someone that is willing to take her down, like Zingano and put on some GnP, she won't be beaten soon. Certainly not someone willing to go toe to toe. Cyborg tried that and failed. Take her down and let her show her BJJ game. But smother her on the ground and try to gas her out. But in terms of standup, nobody stands a chance.

Chun-Lee

Last edited:
Julianna Pena

She was actually having her way with Valentina as well, until Valentina surprised the world with that armbar off her back

{<Mcgoat}
on serious note: she 31 years old, her testosterone leveles should slowly start to decrease, so i think 2-3 years and some chick will beat her

Julianna Pena

She was actually having her way with Valentina as well, until Valentina surprised the world with that armbar off her back
Exactly! I don't know why people downplay Pena in that fight; they were hating on her because she got subbed by a striker, but Valentina isn't just a striker. Also, Pena totally underestimated her ground game, as did everyone else.

I've never seen anyone be able to control Valentina like that though. Val wasn't able to use her Muay Thai because Pena was able to close the distance without getting hit and hold her by the cage.

Exactly! I don't know why people downplay Pena in that fight; they were hating on her because she got subbed by a striker, but Valentina isn't just a striker. Also, Pena totally underestimated her ground game, as did everyone else.

I've never seen anyone be able to control Valentina like that though. Val wasn't able to use her Muay Thai because Pena was able to close the distance without getting hit and hold her by the cage.
Yup, Pena was dominating in that fight... 10-8 kinda style you know? Valentina had nothing to offer... till that armbar came out of nowhere.

NO ONE saw that coming, which is what makes it so beautiful.

Yup, Pena was dominating in that fight... 10-8 kinda style you know? Valentina had nothing to offer... till that armbar came out of nowhere.

NO ONE saw that coming, which is what makes it so beautiful.
I agree; I think Pena's game plan was perfect for Valentina. If they were to rematch, I think the fight would go much differently because Pena is now aware that Valentina is a threat on the ground, so she wouldn't be so reckless.

And that's what makes MMA so great! You never know what's going to happen. The best one for me was when Holly KO'd Ronda with a headkick. I didn't think Holly had a hope after watching her fights with Pennington and Renau, but she pulled it off with a spectacular finish.

I thought Lina Lansberg had a good chance at beating Nunes because she has a grinding style, but she really seems to struggle against grapplers. In which case, I think Nunes would dominate her with her grappling and ground and pound.

maybe Felicia Spencer makes it interesting...but I'd still favor Nunes

Ladd seemed like a promising threat for a minute, but after watching her last 2-3 fights, I'm just not quite sure that she has the defensive subtleties on her feet that will likely be required for a strong top positional fighter to defend themselves enough to set up takedowns and stay on top for 5 rounds. Honestly I may say Juliana Pena -- thankfully, Pena and Ladd are fighting so we'll know soon enough. Otherwise, no one really stands out in my opinion.

I don't even know half of these women. But the answer is no. Until you have someone that is willing to take her down, like Zingano and put on some GnP, she won't be beaten soon. Certainly not someone willing to go toe to toe. Cyborg tried that and failed. Take her down and let her show her BJJ game. But smother her on the ground and try to gas her out. But in terms of standup, nobody stands a chance.
This mirrors my thoughts but you worded it better than me haha

Back