Who is Islams biggest threat to the lightweight throne?

I definitely give Fiziev a greater chance than anyone else. But I don’t think Islam had a great night from a wrestling standpoint. The best version of islam grapples Fiziev to death. Based on Volk’s performance fans will start to downgrade Islam’s grappling, but that would be a mistake imo.

no i downgrade his weight cutting. i think he was diminished and it showed. if that wasn't just an abberration, he's going to lose at LW soon.

Why you all saying Fiz when the past prime RDA was throwing him around?

Throwing around?? LOL, he went 2 for 16 on TDs and barely had any control time. Fiziez was clearly winning the fight.

RDA also is far more aggressive with his striking and entries as opposed to Islam who tends to hang back and time his entries. This allows a great striker to find his rhythm. If Fiziev lands the shots Volk did tonight, which he likely will, it's lights out.

Throwing around?? LOL, he went 2 for 16 on TDs and barely had any control time. Fiziez was clearly winning the fight.

RDA also is far more aggressive with his striking and entries as opposed to Islam who tends to hang back and time his entries. This allows a great striker to find his rhythm. If Fiziev lands the shots Volk did tonight, which he likely will, it's lights out.

That's why I said past prime rda. He doesn't have it to keep him in position. Peak Islam will keep him down and in those positions that rda had him in.

no i downgrade his weight cutting. i think he was diminished and it showed. if that wasn't just an abberration, he's going to lose at LW soon.
I agree, he looked drained. Bad weight cut, less time to rehydrate, and the weird time of the fight (9am) was a bad combination imo. Islam had a media interview recently in the morning (I think with Okamoto) and he was visibly tired and admitted it was because his body was still functioning on Dagestan time. That set off an alarm bell in my head.

His toughest fight is whoever will fight him not being shook an scared yo death of getting taken down.

That's why I said past prime rda. He doesn't have it to keep him in position. Peak Islam will keep him down and in those positions that rda had him in.

I guess we'll see about that. Or maybe not, who knows if Fiziev even makes it there.

RDA got him down twice according to fight stats.

Fiziev stuffed like 9 takedowns before RDA finally landed one.

As much as I like Fiziev, I don't think you can put much stock into a win over RDA who is far from an elite wrestler.

Arman and Dariush will be tough challenges and Fiziev might have some moments. None of them will beat Islam, though.

You can tell Islam is getting bored with MMA like Khabib is. I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t stick around for too much longer.

I was partially being sarcastic lol I like Fiziev’s chances but it wouldn’t be easy and I wouldn’t favor him.

Part of what makes volk great is much like gsp and bones, and even the greats in other sports like Brady and Kobe, he is just so smart, hard working and well prepared. None of those guys i named are the most naturally talented guys they just work harder and have a better understanding of the game.

Long story short, even with Fiziev’s size and striking as well as takedown defense, I don’t think he can put it all together like volk can or keep the mental focus of not making crucial mistakes against Islam in certain situations.

Volk looking great doesn’t have to mean Islam looked bad, I still think Islam beats everyone at LW for the next year or two probably. I hope Fiziev is the one who dethrones him tho!

Volk easily. He has a very good chance of beating him in a rematch.

Volk by far, no one has the gas tank like he does. Other than him Beneil, Arman and Charles will always have a chance.

Fiziev stuffed like 9 takedowns before RDA finally landed one.

As much as I like Fiziev, I don't think you can put much stock into a win over RDA who is far from an elite wrestler.

Sure, but Fiziev is an elite athlete with the size to match Islam unlike Volk. He also has the kind of power and speed where if he catches Islam like Volk did, he probably crumples badly. Fiziev needs to work on his takedown defense, scrambles, getting up from his back and his cardio intensely if he wants to have any business beating Islam but he's got the goods to do it. So does Beneil in different ways and Arman but we will see, Islam is amazing.

Sure, but Fiziev is an elite athlete with the size to match Islam unlike Volk. He also has the kind of power and speed where if he catches Islam like Volk did, he probably crumples badly. Fiziev needs to work on his takedown defense, scrambles, getting up from his back and his cardio intensely if he wants to have any business beating Islam but he's got the goods to do it. So does Beneil in different ways and Arman but we will see, Islam is amazing.

I don't think he Fiziev has the gas tank that volk has, though. He very well could put islam away in the first 3 rounds, but after that I'd be favoring islam.

Whoever is next for Islam is in for a rude one. If its Dariush he is definitely getting knocked out.
Exactly. Volk is a tough sob and could beat any lw not named Islam.

I don't think he Fiziev has the gas tank that volk has, though. He very well could put islam away in the first 3 rounds, but after that I'd be favoring islam.

Yeah, Islam didn't have the gas tank Volk did, which shocked me. But like you said, Fiziev doesn't need the same gas tank as Volk, he just needs to connect. Honestly, his hips should be amazing...I hope he's on the mats everyday in Tiger Muay Thai from now until probably next year getting ready all his spare time.

His toughest fight is whoever will fight him not being shook a scared yo death of getting taken down.
He outstruck Volk lol. And he didn’t even beat Volk due to fear of takedown, his punch selection and timing was flat out better.

Back