Who is the greatest karate man that has ever fought in the UFC?

This guy.

20140801071058_Picture12.JPG

I really dont remember Telligman doing that much Karate in the fights that Ive seen

I remember he just took Igor down cos he didnt wanna stand w him..and he got bodied by Tim Sylvia.

Maybe he used it in other fights,but I dont remember that being a thing. Karate was always shit on in MMA (but not in Japan) for being useless Til Machida showed the true power

Machida and GSP. Both were champs. Machida's style is definitely more karate based, but GSP started out as a kyokushin karate guy, and is one of the GOATs. On the other hand Machida stays true to the philosophies of the ancient oriental art and drinks piss

Machida also gave us the real karate kid crane kick
gUsoOEEPtvGnzJq1kISUJDhIrffhkBeOrXS5pYLi_b4.gif
If I had a spare like you’d get one.

Which karate based fighter has had the greatest success as an MMA/UFC fighter?

According to Joe Rogan, Tra Telligman was the first person that showed the effectiveness of Karate in the octagon during a muay thai infested era in the UFC.

But who is the greatest?

EDIT:

Forgot the most epic picture ever:
View attachment 828152
Joe Riggs

The obvious answer is Machida. Period.
Just because the way he carrried himself, his philosophy, his attitude, his fighting style, was at the top of the mma world for nearly 20 yrs...

Last edited:
Id say Wonderboy was better AT karate than Machida,but Machida got farther along and mixed it in with other stuff better. Machida's style at his best remains one of the unique and difficut styles to deal with.

Why's no one mentioning Whittaker
Reading through this thread this baffles me as well. He has one of the more obvious karate based styles and is arguably as successful as Lyoto (or at least it's close).
Maybe because he lost to WB?

Machida but I love the other karate guys too.

Let us not overlook Whitaker"s Goju Ryu base.

GSP, being the GOAT, is the obvious answer.

Not only the best karate man, but the best man, period

HM to Machida and Wonderboy

Which karate based fighter has had the greatest success as an MMA/UFC fighter?

According to Joe Rogan, Tra Telligman was the first person that showed the effectiveness of Karate in the octagon during a muay thai infested era in the UFC.

But who is the greatest?

EDIT:

Forgot the most epic picture ever:
View attachment 828152
Lyoto Machida hands down is the most successful, though GSP took Karate but fought more like a kickboxer/wrestler.

Back