Who is the greatest karate man that has ever fought in the UFC?

Which karate based fighter has had the greatest success as an MMA/UFC fighter?

According to Joe Rogan, Tra Telligman was the first person that showed the effectiveness of Karate in the octagon during a muay thai infested era in the UFC.

But who is the greatest?

EDIT:

Forgot the most epic picture ever:
View attachment 828152

GSP

Machida.

He has an entire era named after him. The greatest era IMO.

Machida and GSP. Both were champs. Machida's style is definitely more karate based, but GSP started out as a kyokushin karate guy, and is one of the GOATs. On the other hand Machida stays true to the philosophies of the ancient oriental art and drinks piss

Machida also gave us the real karate kid crane kick
gUsoOEEPtvGnzJq1kISUJDhIrffhkBeOrXS5pYLi_b4.gif
He proved that if do right, no can defense.

Bas is unbeaten in the UFC.

I agree!

Wonderboy is my favorite karateka by far!

He has a mix of modern and old school karate. If he was an asshole, he would be the real life version of Mike Barnes!
I always wondered if he would be better if he was a more sadistic & cruel win it all costs kind of fighter. Wonderbastard would probably be much less pleasant to be around though.

Did Guy Mezger compete before Tra? I think he is a much better example with his karate influenced American Kickboxing background. Maybe Joe didn't mention him because they had a little feud after Joe said guy's kicks "couldn't crack an egg".

Thompson, and then Machida. Many are saying GSP, but he's known more in the UFC for his grappling preference. Wonderboy and Machida utilized their karate skills to build their career in the UFC.

machida by a country mile followed by wonderboy. watching machida fights is/was a thing of beauty and so inspiring. add to that they way he carried himself outside of the ring with honor and dignity and he is the favorite.

karate is back!!!!

I always wondered if he would be better if he was a more sadistic & cruel win it all costs kind of fighter. Wonderbastard would probably be much less pleasant to be around though.

I always wondered ( no pun intended) this as well. I mean if he was like Mike Barnes or fought with intense bloodlust then he would have been very dangerous. I say this because he has a great side-stance and footwork. Hard to hit and moves well.

But he seems to like to kickback and wait for the opponent. But if he was more volume and offense oriented, he would do much great damage. I mean he is already a great fighter but you can see his personality in his fights. He fights well but not with urgency, aggression or a propensity for blood.

Back