Opinion Why are college educated people more liberal?

Well, my view of the right is that they're on the right. And actually I don't have disdain for Christianity as such. Certainly I do have it for pseudo-Christian organizations that exist to promote political goals that are at odds with Christianity.

I'm not sure that anyone can separate Christian morals and certain political views: Abortion, help for less fortunate, equal justice, etc.

I'm not sure that anyone can separate Christian morals and certain political views: Abortion, help for less fortunate, equal justice, etc.

Well, remember that the religious right was formed specifically to combat desegregation. So the movement was against equal justice and Christian values from the start.

But it was always a problem, as the seeds of the collapse of the order were planted (and the doctrinal adjustments needed to justify the system didn't stand up to scrutiny). Actually illustrates the challenge to stability faced by an order not based on or concordant with reason.

You mean the seeds of the collapse of the Roman Empire? Do you also mean the doctrinal adjustments that were made on the way from being a persecuted cult to state religion?

Well, remember that the religious right was formed specifically to combat desegregation. So the movement was against equal justice and Christian values from the start.

Funny, I always thought the religious right (moral majority) was formed in response to Roe.

You mean the seeds of the collapse of the Roman Empire? Do you also mean the doctrinal adjustments that were made on the way from being a persecuted cult to state religion?

Yes.

I think the second point is a good argument. As for the first, you'd join a long and illustrious list of people who have tried to pinpoint why the Roman Empire fell, but I think its a hard sell to say the seeds of collapse were planted during the reign of Tiberius.

Because the Republican party of today exists for the sole purpose of ensuring the ultra-wealthy maintain and increase their wealth. In order to bamboozle people who aren't ultra-wealthy to support this, against their own self-interest, the Republican party uses dog whistles for white grievance.

EOfoJH4WoAAeM-K.jpg

If you're able to exercise some critical thinking, which education - not just from college - will help you with, there is not much to be attracted to there.
Most people are aware enough to see that isn't just the Republican party, that's politicians in general. If you only see it in one side then you've been indoctrinated.

Nope. That was actually seen as a Catholic issue at first.

Wiki, but :
The origins of the Moral Majority can be traced to 1976 when Baptist minister Jerry Falwell Sr. embarked on a series of "I Love America" rallies across the country to raise awareness of social issues important to him.[2] These rallies were an extension of Falwell's decision to go against the traditional Baptist principle of separating religion and politics, a change of heart Falwell says he had when he perceived what he described as the decay of the countries morality.

Hey, but believe what ever helps you continue to dislike Christianity.

Are you claiming that Christian values don't include racism? LOL

Majoring in accounting/finance makes you despise the left.

Are you talking from experience or assumption?

Finance and accounting were my majors and they really made clear how bad the right wing are economically.

Prior to my masters I had believed they were the better economic managers. Seems laughable in hindsight.

Undergrad made me lean left.
Grad school made me realized how naive I was.

Not being rich has made me politically apathetic.

Wiki, but :
The origins of the Moral Majority can be traced to 1976 when Baptist minister Jerry Falwell Sr. embarked on a series of "I Love America" rallies across the country to raise awareness of social issues important to him.[2] These rallies were an extension of Falwell's decision to go against the traditional Baptist principle of separating religion and politics, a change of heart Falwell says he had when he perceived what he described as the decay of the countries morality.

Hey, but believe what ever helps you continue to dislike Christianity.
That's actually incorrect. Falwell's interest was on protecting the tax exempt status of his religious school that segregated.

The Religious groups didn't have a problem with abortion for the most part.
In 1971, delegates to the Southern Baptist Convention in St. Louis, Missouri, passed a resolution encouraging “Southern Baptists to work for legislation that will allow the possibility of abortion under such conditions as rape, incest, clear evidence of severe fetal deformity, and carefully ascertained evidence of the likelihood of damage to the emotional, mental, and physical health of the mother.” The convention, hardly a redoubt of liberal values, reaffirmed that position in 1974, one year after Roe, and again in 1976.
When the Roe decision was handed down, W. A. Criswell, the Southern Baptist Convention’s former president and pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas—also one of the most famous fundamentalists of the 20th century—was pleased: “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person,” he said, “and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed.”

THe truth is much less honorable. The Supreme Court was denying tax exempt status to private schools that segregated. And there were religious schools that wanted to segregate.

The Green v. Connally ruling provided a necessary first step: It captured the attention of evangelical leaders , especially as the IRS began sending questionnaires to church-related “segregation academies,” including Falwell’s own Lynchburg Christian School, inquiring about their racial policies. Falwell was furious. “In some states,” he famously complained, “It’s easier to open a massage parlor than a Christian school.”

One such school, Bob Jones University—a fundamentalist college in Greenville, South Carolina—was especially obdurate. The IRS had sent its first letter to Bob Jones University in November 1970 to ascertain whether or not it discriminated on the basis of race. The school responded defiantly: It did not admit African Americans.

Although Bob Jones Jr., the school’s founder, argued that racial segregation was mandated by the Bible, Falwell and Weyrich quickly sought to shift the grounds of the debate, framing their opposition in terms of religious freedom rather than in defense of racial segregation. For decades, evangelical leaders had boasted that because their educational institutions accepted no federal money (except for, of course, not having to pay taxes) the government could not tell them how to run their shops—whom to hire or not, whom to admit or reject. The Civil Rights Act, however, changed that calculus.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133

@Jack V Savage is right on that one. Falwell and Weyrich organized the religious right around the right to segregate in religious institutions. Adding abortion came years later.

You could draw a parallel from your redneck example to an inner city Black male who lives in an ethnically homogenized major metropolitan shithole, travels to college, and sees the gay, trans, and rich white lib people that they hate online. What's the difference? Is that Black male also a "right winger" who lives in fear of a place and situation they don't directly experience?
Of course not because theres not some mass group of black men who have a political party in the u.s who hate rich white libs, gay and trans people. They aren't getting riled up about small town shit heels and their activities. Generally, if they are in fact taking notice of right wingers its from some defensive posture and not them going around looking to shoot and kill white folks, which is what white right wingers like Dylan Roof and others do.

Are you talking from experience or assumption?

Finance and accounting were my majors and they really made clear how bad the right wing are economically.

Prior to my masters I had believed they were the better economic managers. Seems laughable in hindsight.

Democrats and managing money? lolololololol... ok

When people age and start to actually make money they start to lean conservative, they will only keep being "educated" if they depend their parents to pay the bills.

Worked FT since I was 18.
Started tertiary study at 29, studying PT while working FT. I paid my own way with the only financial assistance being from my employers.

Funny, I always thought the religious right (moral majority) was formed in response to Roe.
Imagine believing this instead of a well-documented push back on desegregation

1973 Roe isn't even close

Back