Why are there still Bellator events?

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
I thought that after the PFL bought Bellator that Bellator and the PFL would become one formidable, star-studded promotion. Why continue to keep them separate like this? That Bellator 302 doesn't include any of the PFL fighters weakens the card, doesn't it? Shouldn't it be a PFL card, and just dump the Bellator events?

They bought Bellator whole, meaning they bought their (European) broadcasting contracts, too.

Then why did Bellator just sign a deal with HBO?
Im assuming this is just a one or two year deal and afterwards PFL will be merging Bellator and moving to MAX, too. Otherwise, it makes no sense to keep both promotions.

- Bellator will be useful for PFL fighters who don’t necessarily want to do the season format. Keeps them under the PFL umbrella and away from the UFC and ONE.
- Streaming deals from old regime.
- Establishes rapport with Bellator talents and fans who don’t want to switch to PFL right away.
- Fills in gaps between PFL events.
- Bellator titles still have value to MMA fans.

I honestly don’t see what’s wrong with keeping Bellator around tbh.

I thought that after the PFL bought Bellator that Bellator and the PFL would become one formidable, star-studded promotion. Why continue to keep them separate like this? That Bellator 302 doesn't include any of the PFL fighters weakens the card, doesn't it? Shouldn't it be a PFL card, and just dump the Bellator events?
Which PFL fighters? There is like maybe 10 PFL fighters who are worth anything.

If PFL has any sense they'd do the opposite and become Bellator and drop the PFL.

They do not have sense and they won't do this but killing Bellator and taking their place is a mighty tall task with their current format.

If PFL has any sense they'd do the opposite and become Bellator and drop the PFL.

They do not have sense and they won't do this but killing Bellator and taking their place is a mighty tall task with their current format.

Why would they need to do that? They own both...they will have both their seasonal format and normal prize fighting shows.

Why would they need to do that? They own both...they will have both their seasonal format and normal prize fighting shows.

I feel most people expect them to do the whole Strikeforce thing with Bellator.

Am I misreading that?

The Bellator brand has zero value to it. Its name is worthless.

The Bellator brand has zero value to it. Its name is worthless.

The PFLs value is in the negatives tho.

And its not worthless it slowly gained respect over a decade. Even by capitalist standards it was making a small profit(something the UFC wasn't doing in its early years). That wasn't good enough for Viacom or Paramount or whatever they call themsleves now.

And its not worthless it slowly gained respect over a decade. Even by capitalist standards it was making a small profit(something the UFC wasn't doing in its early years). That wasn't good enough for Viacom or Paramount or whatever they call themsleves now.
Bellator only gained a profit during its short tenure on DAZN. That’s it. Other than that, it had zero value. There was no fan anticipation, no media anticipation, nothing. If it had any value whatsoever, Paramount wouldn’t have sold it for a song. Hell, they even gave away the media library, usually the one thing of value any promotion has. Bellator was worthless.

Bellator only gained a profit during its short tenure on DAZN. That’s it. Other than that, it had zero value. There was no fan anticipation, no media anticipation, nothing. If it had any value whatsoever, Paramount wouldn’t have sold it for a song. Hell, they even gave away the media library, usually the one thing of value any promotion has. Bellator was worthless.

"Hell, they even gave away the media library, usually the one thing of value any promotion has. Bellator was worthless."

Okay that was funny. I disagree with your point but that was a well layered joke.

The only reason the Bellator name is around is simply because they had media and sponsorship deals that they had to fulfill from Bellator. They tried avenues to get out or combine things but they said they had some sponsors and media outlets unwilling to budge or compromise on existing deals.

Makes total sense that after that is completed Bellator will become something like PFL Championship series or something. Only way it sticks around with the Bellator name is if they can actually get some separate media deals for Bellator series (ie: think like TKO Holdings/WWE with Smackdown and Raw media deals).

The only reason the Bellator name is around is simply because they had media and sponsorship deals that they had to fulfill from Bellator. They tried avenues to get out or combine things but they said they had some sponsors and media outlets unwilling to budge or compromise on existing deals.

When and where did they say this?

"Hell, they even gave away the media library, usually the one thing of value any promotion has. Bellator was worthless."

Okay that was funny. I disagree with your point but that was a well layered joke.
Please oh -lease, great wise one, tell me what value Bellator, whose viewership sank lower and lower with each event, leading to the eventual sale, still has a brand, since apparently everything I said is a joke?

Can’t wait to hear from a business genius such as yourself, compared to everyone else in the industry who has said that the Bellator brand has zero value, which is back up in reality by the purchase price.

Please oh -lease, great wise one, tell me what value Bellator, whose viewership sank lower and lower with each event, leading to the eventual sale, still has a brand, since apparently everything I said is a joke?

Can’t wait to hear from a business genius such as yourself, compared to everyone else in the industry who has said that the Bellator brand has zero value, which is back up in reality by the purchase price.

0>-10

I was praising you for making a Pride video library reference. Cause you know the Japanese took everything of value except the video library leading Dana to lament they paid for a video library.

It has more value than the brand that purchased it. It had the credibility of being the 2nd biggest MMA promotion. No amount of money can create that overnight PFL needs to create that organically. Or they could just keep Bellator and put more money behind that and skip that process. But they are too stupid to actually use the thing they bought. That zero value Bellator had took a very long time to get. The PFLs acting like they are the UFC buying Strikeforce. This sports history is littered with brief cash flush MMA promotions that lasted a few years. If they kill Bellator PFL will either be joining them or facing a very long uphill battle for relevance. I suspect it will be the former.

I have to agree with this. There have been times that I was excited to see a Bellator card. I can't remember the last time PFL excited me. Probably the first season when there was some novelty to it. After that it became a litany of bad fights week after week. The tournament format leads to guys having to play it safe so they advance without injury. PFL should scrap their format, rebrand the name. Fire the production team and everyone in their booth. Merge the rosters. Hire Mauro Ranallo and maybe Jimmy Smith.

Back