International Why did Trump sign a withdrawal agreement with the Taliban?

DrTrouble

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Sorry I don't know much about politics but why did Trump deal with the Talibans?

I thought the Talibans were basically viewed as terrorists. Why wasn't the deal signed with the makeshift afghan government whom the US groomed to take control?

Why couldn't the US just leave and not sign a deal with the Talibans? Why was it necessary to announce it to the ppl you're fighting with?

If my enemy ask me to agree to their surrender, why wouldn't I agree and start planning my takeover?

The issue isn't with the agreement with the Taliban, nice bait glowie.

Because triggering the libs.

Also, numnuts thought peace deals are as simple as saying "....right, we’re done here." and walking off rather than a careful understanding of the issues and people involved, laying of groundwork and excellent personal communication skills.

Chud-in-Chief thought that "peace maker" sobriquet is so easy to gain.

The Taliban basically was/is the true Afgan govt. So they would be the ones we'd have to negotiate with... not the makeshift govt that we installed.

The deal essentially was that the US would leave, and in exchange the Taliban would not harbor terrorists or enemies of the US in Afghanistan (the reason we went there in the first place is because they didn't want to turn over Bin Laden). We had to make our timetable known to uphold our part of the agreement. Kind of a shitty deal, since we are taking the Taliban's promise on good faith... but to be fair there was no good way to get out of that mess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/20/trump-peace-deal-taliban/

As stated above to try and salvage at least one small face saving w and that would be a promise from the Taliban they will make an honest effort to suppress international terrorism in their territory.

To negotiate the conditions of the withdrawal. The Taliban are letting many people leave, and they could be making it much more difficult. They could be shooting at us as we run away.

Making any deals with Taliban is liking making deals with the freaking Nazis, the KKK or the North Korean government.

You don't find it telling that Trump was negotiating with the people actually in charge the whole time, while the media clutched their pearls?
If it had gone well it woukd have been bidens greatest deal ever, a true master negotiator. Since it didn't....

You don't find it telling that Trump was negotiating with the people actually in charge the whole time, while the media clutched their pearls?

Then what's with the outrage? This was going to happen no matter whenever the withdrawal commence.

Because they're the closest thing to a legitimate government in Afghanistan.

That doesn't mean that your withdrawal should have been a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants operation with no planning, no foresight, no hindsight, and no communication.

Because A) we were gonna lose and whole gov knew it a long time ago despite lies told
https://scheerpost.com/2021/08/17/the-u-s-government-lied-for-two-decades-about-afghanistan/

b) he didnt want anymore casualties in USA side. And you're extremely vulnerable drawing down. Deal was we won't attack you if you don't attack us. No USA or NATO solider died in time of peace deal. Taliban never attacked coalition like deal called for.

c) Washington could blame Afghans for fail instead of 20 years of DC fail.

Sorry I don't know much about politics but why did Trump deal with the Talibans?

I thought the Talibans were basically viewed as terrorists. Why wasn't the deal signed with the makeshift afghan government whom the US groomed to take control?

Why couldn't the US just leave and not sign a deal with the Talibans? Why was it necessary to announce it to the ppl you're fighting with?

If my enemy ask me to agree to their surrender, why wouldn't I agree and start planning my takeover?

Because he wanted to boast how he got the US out of that war. He ran on pulling US troops out. He didn't care about what would happen when the Taleban took over, he just wanted US troops out, regarldes of what happened.

He pulled the same thing in Iraq, abandoning the Kurds to please Erdogan.

Because he wanted to boast how he got the US out of that war. He ran on pulling US troops out. He didn't care about what would happen when the Taleban took over, he just wanted US troops out, regarldes of what happened.

He pulled the same thing in Iraq, abandoning the Kurds to please Erdogan.
As opposed to Biden who cares deeply?

Trump, Biden, and pretty much every American just wanted out of there. We never defined victory and the post-9/11 blood lust subsided during the Bush administration. It’s a great opportunity to insult current and former presidents, but end of the day nobody really cares what happens to afghanistan. If it didn’t provide an opportunity to attack political rivals, we wouldn’t be talking about it at all.

Back