Why does rap music get a free pass?

just look at the hip hop thread in this music forum.. It's embarassing. There is a guy from Boston who posts nothing but wannabe gangster stunna thug rappers with no lyrical ability or value. Just pure trash.
Guys like this
sQ7Ls1W.jpg

50cjpkD.jpg

w77LA8I.jpg

IChxmlH.jpg
nrj3AYY.jpg
Kids these days need some Chuck D in their lives.

True and sad.
Whites can't criticize blacks, but blacks can criticize whites. Same applies to antisemitism.
Blacks had slavery and Jews had the holocaust...
Why criticize blacks? Why not criticize individuals?

And majority of people are too afraid to criticize anything black.
Yes, and that is why this lady gets away with so much nonsense and 'shit' talk:

Maxine Waters
398px-Congresswoman_Waters_official_photo.jpg

That isn't and has never been the case for the absolute majority of artists in the genre. It is now and has always been mostly about dancing, like most other forms of music.
Bullshit. Lol you dont know what you're talking about
There are different genres of rap.
There is club rap, there's pop rap,, there's gangsta rap, there's rap that's more about social awareness and poetry. Rap isn't just bitches and hoes and money

Rap blew up because of the social messages. It was used as political speech. Groups like Public Enemy and NWA were putting the government and cops on blast for how the police were beating up blacks and how fucked up the system is. If you listened to a lot of rappers from back then they would tell you that they weren't glorifying violence, they were just reporting what life in the streets is like.

JayZ, Nas, 2Pac, Rakim, and the list goes on and on..the most popular rappers are not considered great because of their club hits. It is primarily about their ability to tell a story.

There is club rap, there's pop rap,, there's gangsta rap, there's rap that's more about social awareness and poetry. Rap isn't just bitches and hoes and money

Rap blew up because of the social messages. It was used as political speech. Groups like Public Enemy and NWA were putting the government and cops on blast for how the police were beating up blacks and how fucked up the system is. If you listened to a lot of rappers from back then they would tell you that they weren't glorifying violence, they were just reporting what life in the streets is like.

JayZ, Nas, 2Pac, Rakim, and the list goes on and on..the most popular rappers are not considered great because of their club hits. It is primarily about their ability to tell a story.

I love when ignorant fools tell others they don't know what they're talking about. I encourage you to research the history of hip hop. It blew up because it was accessible dance music for many people with limited means. The social messages came far later and weren't usually the most popular songs, though there are plenty of rappers known for their lyricism who became very popular.

Btw the most highly regarded artists are not the same as the most popular.

Lol yes it has.
no, read this post below

What about classical music or instrumentals? What topics can rap cover that the other genres of music cannot?
How can you compare music with no lyrics to music that is mostly about the lyrics?
Mariah Carey or Celine Dion could have garbage lyrics and still be successful as long as they have their voice. What makes a great classical song is how well you can play the instrument.
What makes a good rap song is how you craft a story, using words, wordplay, and the beat.

Its obviously harder to sing a song about street life AND make it sound good and unique than it would be to write a poem. The lyrics are what makes the music.
And there are garbage rappers with garbage lyrics, just like there are great ones. It's no different than any other genre.

<TrumpWrong1>
You think that rap hasn't been criticized!?!?!? When the NWAs and 2pacs and Snoops were big, rap was heavily criticized. Language has to be bleeped on the radio, parental advisory stickers have to be placed on CDs with explicit content, you can't play certain songs on the radio, people in government have been big critics of it (I believe Cheney's wife was a big critic)

The homophobia in the black community IS talked about. And it has gotten better. You dont hear mainstream artists throw around some words like they used to.
The conversation probably got really big with Eminem because he always used gay slurs and mentioned Elton John.
Frank Ocean is a popular RnB artist that works with a lot of rappers, and hes gay.

Lol and how would you even know if the conversation was or wasn't happening anyways? How many conversations on hip hop and what's happening with black people have you been in on?
The white self pity party is so tiring. At 12% of the population, why would black issues get talked about as much, or more than mainstream issues of the majority culture? A lot of some of these issues aren't even really "black" issues, they have to do with poverty and religion. A lot of blacks are big believers in God and have a higher percentage of poverty. There ain't a lot of love or care for gays in the church or the streets.
No one ever said rap wasn't criticized in the past so why the fuck are you talking about 2pac? lol That was in the 90s!

Did you read the op? He asked why rap music gets a free pass on the degrading, sexist and vulgar bs when everything else nowadays doesn't. All of that is ignored by the MSM, SJWs, feminists, progressive people and so on. Rap is main stream af yet it gets basically zero negative criticism. And yes, that includes homophobia, which may or not be a big part of rap anymore but it's incredibly common in the black community. All, again, completely ignored by progressives. I've been to many LGBT meetings and I know this for a fact! I also happen to know black dudes that face a lot of homophobia, and sometimes violence, exclusively from other black men.

Interesting enough the same kind of shit happens with racism in the asian and latino communities, which is out of this world btw, but we don't hear a single word about it from progressives and the MSM. The notion being propagated is that white people have basically a monopoly on hate and that's simply unfair and dishonest. We have a lot of issues to deal with, we humans, and the pointing of fingers and divisive narratives to our issues will only make things worse.

Oh and thanks for proving my previous point but fuck off with that "white self pity" thing, which is your passive-aggressive way to suggest my point of view is based on racism. That my friend, is the tiring part.

For the record I moved this thread to the music sub because it is hard to have a discussion about music without giving audible examples. Posting a bunch of youtube videos would lead to this thread getting dumped, so I would rather see further discussion take place here.

Ok fair enough.

How can you compare music with no lyrics to music that is mostly about the lyrics?
Mariah Carey or Celine Dion could have garbage lyrics and still be successful as long as they have their voice. What makes a great classical song is how well you can play the instrument.
What makes a good rap song is how you craft a story, using words, wordplay, and the beat.

Its obviously harder to sing a song about street life AND make it sound good and unique than it would be to write a poem. The lyrics are what makes the music.
And there are garbage rappers with garbage lyrics, just like there are great ones. It's no different than any other genre.

The beat and a vocal delivery that matches the beat in a pleasing way are what makes the music. Meaningful and skilled wordplay will earn respect in hip hop circles but it does not make the music and it's not a prerequisite for popularity and never has been. You probably aren't aware of it but you're delving into an old debate within this genre, the backpackers and purists vs. pretty much everyone else.

Because it's art or some shit..

Although Kevin Hart is learning the hard way, art form won't always save you.

Kids these days need some Chuck D in their lives.

One of the saddest things about rap music is how it's past is ignored. In any other form of music Chuck D would have been an icon in the same way Kurt Cobain or Joe Strummer is.

Rap gets a pass because Rappers don't give a fuck.

If you try to run sjw game on them they'll blow weed smoke in your face and tell you suck their dick.

Outrage culture only exists because people allow themselves to be shamed.

One of the saddest things about rap music is how it's past is ignored. In any other form of music Chuck D would have been an icon in the same way Kurt Cobain or Joe Strummer is.
I think Tupac/Biggie are the best parallels to Cobain: 90's icons that died young.

Classic rap is usually celebrated if you are talking 90's and early 2000's, it's just 80's rap is often seen by people as being corny and sloppy. For older genres like rock, country, or R&B a mere half decade or so being ignored wouldn't be a big deal but rap is still young so I can see why it seems like a big hole.

I think Chuck D being often forgotten is also a casualty of N.W.A.'s popularity well past their musical relevance. PE was generally substance over style, while N.W.A. is almost more popular for their antics, aesthetics, and personas than their actual music. Combine that with Ice Cube and Dr. Dre staying relevant individually and you can see why they became the pop culture icons instead.

I got a question mildly related to the topic.
Modern rap and pop music gets a pass on a lot of things. They play Dua Lipa's "I don't give a fuck" uncensored on MTV, while Fallout Boy's "This ain't a scene, it's a goddamn arms race" gets the harmless word "goddamn" muted. Blink 182's "What's my age again" has the word "Sodomy" muted.
I find these double standards very weird.

Because J Coal and Snoop Daddy are the modern day Mozart and Beethoven. Get over it.

Back