Why has the UFC booked Mcgregors retirement bout now?

Like where does he go after ('if' lol) Poirier KOs or basically verbally submits him again with leg kicks?

Strange move, no audience either for his farewell party.

First, there will be a full arena.
Second, this is exactly what he did against Diaz. He needs a win to continue fighting the top.

If he loses, IMO Dana's wet dream would be get Street Jesus to lose to Diaz for the BMF belt, then make Conor Diaz 3 for that belt.

Its Conor's decision. He has never been afraid to take risky fights and this again is make or break, lose and he is pretty much done, win and he is set up for a titleshot. He wouldn't be where he is today if he had a risk adverse personality like 95% of the population, most of Sherdog said he would never beat Nate in the rematch and it was a stupid decision, good thing he didn't listen to ye.

There's gonna be a full arena which is awesome and long overdue. If Dustin wins which is most likely the case it will be a proper send off and Conor will be fine. He has nothing to regret and is set for life.

Anderson was main eventing up to his last fight, even got a title shot vs DC out of the blue.

just one win that ended a 5 fight losing streak gave him a main event vs Izzy.

Conor is also much younger much bigger star and much better self promoter, even if he just wins half or a third of his fights he could probably main event till he in his late 30s and people will come and see him

people still watch guys like Diaz 12 loses, masvidal 14, so that kinda invalidates your claim of " you can only lose so may times before you become irrelevant" as they still some of the most relevant fighters in the game

I still think there's a serious difference between Silva and Conor though

Conor is a quitter who doesn't have the stamina to deserve a belt.. he folds if he can't hurt his opponent

In the Diaz 2 fight, I'm fairly certain that he over-performed

Another loss to Poirier and Conman is average top 5 with a Chael Sonnen yapper that will still get attention along with much more resentment... I don't like one-dimensional quitters, so I'm sure other fans of the sport feel the same

Gotta admit, I'm pretty confused/surprised too. Just as much as the Kebab fight, he's taking a fight where it's overwhelmingly obvious he'll take a beating.

Now the cat's out the bag, he'd be better off with freakshow fights.

Nate VS Conor 3 will always sell an easy million.

This is conors last stand at contention level.

After this fight if he loses, this nice person act won't carry him for long from a seller's perspective. I can't imagine people are gonna" wanna watch nice man conor who appears to have no motivation or chance at the top anymore fight.

Conor ain't gonna stick around either if his ppv value goes down the shitter

You can only lose so many times before you become irrelevant.
Happened to Chuck as well and he was as big a star.

Conor will never become irrelevant.

People will always know his name, just like Napoleon, Caesar, Bruce Lee and Trump.

Conor will never become irrelevant.

People will always know his name, just like Napoleon, Caesar, Bruce Lee and Trump.
No, give it a few years he will be irrelevant and the next star will be here.

MCgregor is just a Diaz fight away from being in contention....

It’s weird how sherdog posters as a whole manage to continuously oscillate between “omg Dana book better fights more often” and “omg Dana promoting fights so often is a mistake!”

But here is a real answer, TS:

When Conor fights everyone makes money. He wants to fight and Dana likes money. QED. Not to mention, any time Dana tries to plan 2+ fights ahead it backfires spectacularly. So he makes many series of short term decisions now, each chasing the fast dollar. We may mock it, but you cannot deny that it works. It maddens me that it works so well, because we’ll probably never revert back more toward a merit based system.

I don’t know where you’re getting this from. Conor fans aren’t fans of MMA. They just want to watch a WWE character come to life. They probably can’t name any fighter outside of the few that Conor has fought in the last six years.
With that said, why would the UFC ever retire him? They know how stupid and impulsive a typical Conor fan is. They bench him for a year while he “retires” on Twitter and then bring him back for another overhyped unwatchable fight because they know those morons will empty their pockets and sit through six Jessica Eye fights just to get a good view of Conor’s bulge at the weigh-in.
Fight happens, he wins/loses, throws a tantrum on Twitter and “retires”, comes back a year later, casuals empty pockets and post their tired old shit here for months, Fight happens, he wins/loses, throws a tantrum on Twitter and “retires”, comes back a year later, casuals empty pockets and post their tired old shit here for months...

Like where does he go after ('if' lol) Poirier KOs or basically verbally submits him again with leg kicks?
I don't think it would be a huge deal.
Is losing to Dustin in a rematch way worse than losing to Khabib in a rematch?
Team Conor were pushing so hard for that Khabib rematch earlier.

If anything you could argue that it would a bigger risk if Conor lost to a new opponent rather than losing to yet another one. If he loses to Dustin again people can say "Ok, Dustin is his cryptonite now, but maybe he beats everyone else"
If he loses to Oliviera/Chandler/Hooker/Gaethje then his stock would fall much more.

After all - Dustin is the top dog at LW right now, so there's not too much shame in losing to him.
no audience either
Huh? Have there been changes? There were 20.000 fans expected last I saw
https://sports.inquirer.net/420616/conor-mcgregor-dustin-poirier-official-capacity-crowd-expected

Last edited:
Back