Why is Paddy Pimblett so "popular"? Am I missing something

Davidjacksonjones

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He is talked about quite a lot on here. His recent Octagon interview has 1.5 million views. He has 2.5 million Instagram followers. In his past fights, I saw lots of fans wearing Paddy the Baddy shirts.

As a fighter, I looked at his record, he hasn't really had many UFC fights and his wins were not against anyone noteworthy.

I have seen some of his interviews. He doesn't seem that funny or charismatic. Although he did have a few good interviews about mental health which is good.

I don't see what the big deal is around this guy. Not hating on him btw, just genuinely curious how he got so big

Doesn't seem to be a humble fighter either

Because he looks goofy, has a chin, and is entertaining. He's not the best fighter around but love him or hate him, he always comes to fight.

The fact that we're in an era of fighters that have the personality of a 2x4 is another reason.

ZbLmLGn.jpg

He is talked about quite a lot on here. His recent Octagon interview has 1.5 million views. He has 2.5 million Instagram followers. In his past fights, I saw lots of fans wearing Paddy the Baddy shirts.

As a fighter, I looked at his record, he hasn't really had many UFC fights and his wins were not against anyone noteworthy.

I have seen some of his interviews. He doesn't seem that funny or charismatic. Although he did have a few good interviews about mental health which is good.

I don't see what the big deal is around this guy. Not hating on him btw, just genuinely curious how he got so big

Doesn't seem to be a humble fighter either

I'll give the guy credit, he's entertaining as hell to watch but the Conor shtick doesn't work for him.

Basic face and name recognition goes much further than people care to admit.

Unique haircut + interesting alliterative name + an accent that (to halfwit Americans in particular) sounds 'funny'.

Once you've heard and seen him, you tend to at least easily remember him. Then the UFC puts the marketing machine behind him and shoves him in your face.

At that point, it doesn't actually matter if he can fight worth a shit or if he ever says anything remotely interesting.

Look at the UFC yesterday: Holly Holm of all people got a massive crowd reaction. This is despite being literally the most god awful boring fighter in the UFC who has racked up tons of losses.

But the Ronda bump + interesting alliterative name that stands out = mongs know and remember who she is.

Paddy the Baddy is a local boy that did well. He is the type of fighter the UFC needs not talent but brings in his community support. I can imagine myself part of his community as he brings it with him. He is the type of fighter that will get UFC HOF because what he brings with him even if he never gets a belt.

Great Value Conor McGregor was popular even in the cage warriors days, and continues to be so now. Apparently, his entrance outside of the UFC's boring cookie cutter walkouts was a big hit as well. Agree with the above, funny talking Brit with a Beatles cut and a big ego is more popular than boring American wrestlers or Dagestani crotch sniffing wrestlers.

Last edited:
Back