Crime Why is the term "Illegal immigrant" or "illegals" no longer appropriate? (vs "undocumented worker)

Is Illegal immigrant or "illegal" derogatory or offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 109 92.4%
  • I mean...kind of?

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
i very rarely read his replies, went through this last one fast and it just sounded musical to me. hence the doo bee doo bee doo.
I think you actually search my stuff out, but then you aren't able to respond intelligently so you kind of flip out.

Illegal is an attempt at dehumanizing. Your average person does conflate breaking the law with wrongdoing whether I think thats evil or not. Its a loaded term that suggests undocumented immigrants are a problem that something needs to be done about. Hence why we have the fake "immigration""crisis". Because people have been trained like seals to consider the continuation of the normal flow of immigrants to be something out of the ordinary. Undocumented is a neutral term stating the fact the immigrant does not have documentation. It doesn't suggest the immigrant is a problem or say they are wonderful its a neutral fact.

And again everyone agrees DUIs are bad, speeding is bad, murdering and rape is bad. We do not all agree illegal immigration is bad. And you are attempting to compare illegal immigrants to all those groups who've actually done something wrong through the one thing they have in common,breaking the law.

We disagree. I think illegal immigration is a bad thing. Why even have borders if you do nothing about those that ignore the laws or the legal process of entering the country? Raises being a drain on resources and competition for actual citizens, we have no idea who’s coming across and residing here. It’s not dehumanizing to call them illegal immigrants, which they are, or to want something done about it.

We disagree. I think illegal immigration is a bad thing. Why even have borders if you do nothing about those that ignore the laws or the legal process of entering the country? Raises being a drain on resources and competition for actual citizens, we have no idea who’s coming across and residing here. It’s not dehumanizing to call them illegal immigrants, which they are, or to want something done about it.
You’re talking to someone who doesn’t believe in borders.

Yeah, it's not a difficult concept. Like I said, referencing rob's learning disability might be accurate, but it doesn't mean he's going to like it. Technically, anyone who ever does something illegal can be called "an illegal," but we don't do that.
I got passed on the road by a few “illegal drivers” doing well over the speed limit.

I was saying we don't call speeders "illegals" in a general sense. The point of "illegals" is dehumanization.

I don’t use the term because it makes one sound like a redneck or trumper. It’s shortening of the correct term illegal immigrant. It’s a derisive term but it’s not dehumanizing. When I think of dehumanizing, I think of calling someone an animal. You do that out of hate. I do it, just not towards immigrants. But, saying it’s dehumanizing is one more way y’all try to control the language towards getting them called undocumented citizens and eventually, welcomed

I don’t use the term because it makes one sound like a redneck or trumper. It’s shortening of the correct term illegal immigrant. It’s a derisive term but it’s not dehumanizing. When I think of dehumanizing, I think of calling someone an animal. You do that out of hate. I do it, just not towards immigrants. But, saying it’s dehumanizing is one more way y’all try to control the language towards getting them called undocumented citizens and eventually, welcomed
I think it's just being honest. Denying the intention behind it is being dishonest. And further, I don't see how you can fail to understand that your own whining is exactly the same as what you're criticizing (that is, you're trying to control the language yourself). I think the ideal solution is for people to tell the truth to the best of their ability and let the chips fall where they may. I.e., in this case, people can say "illegals" and other people can notice what the intention behind that is. Your approach--trying to police language while at the same time decrying it--is incoherent.

I think it's just being honest. Denying the intention behind it is being dishonest. And further, I don't see how you can fail to understand that your own whining is exactly the same as what you're criticizing (that is, you're trying to control the language yourself). I think the ideal solution is for people to tell the truth to the best of their ability and let the chips fall where they may. I.e., in this case, people can say "illegals" and other people can notice what the intention behind that is. Your approach--trying to police language while at the same time decrying it--is incoherent.
More like can have an opinion of their intention.

You’re taking the position that your opinion is fact. It isn’t.

More like can have an opinion of their intention.

You’re taking the position that your opinion is fact. It isn’t.
They can form judgments based on actions. If people are not intentionally trying to convey a view that unauthorized immigrants are subhuman, the normal, rational thing to do would be to use different terms. That's how language works.

You can read through all my posts, I always say Migrants. Even when Biden said an "Illegal" killed Lincoln Riley, I cringed. But he was not wrong. That is a person that came here illegally with a criminal past that he intended on continuing in this country. That is the same as MS-13 members coming here to continue gang activity, get kicked out, and cycle right back in. That is illegal. That is NOT the same thing as someone seeking asylum from persecution for political or religious beliefs. That is why some liberals have been conned. And anyone that says it is a made-up problem does not live near the areas affected and should STFU. The shit I see daily SHOULD NOT be here. There are migrants committing egregious crimes and allowed to stay. That is bullshit. I stand by my premise--let families and women and children in, send the young able-bodied men back unless they are TRUE asylum seekers.

They can form judgments based on actions. If people are not intentionally trying to convey a view that unauthorized immigrants are subhuman, the normal, rational thing to do would be to use different terms. That's how language works.
One can have an opinion on the language that someone else uses.

If someone calls an illegal immigrant and illegal immigrant, it doesn’t mean the person believes they are subhuman nor would them being called an illegal.

You can have the opinion that it does, but it’s subjective.

Illegal immigrant or illegal alien is most appropriate in my opinion. In your opinion it may be something else. Both are opinions. Each of us could infer why we use the language we do. Neither of us could hold our opinion as fact.

Because illegal suggests illegality which it is, and we can't be having crimes called crime if the person committing them is a minority.

let families and women and children in, send the young able-bodied men back unless they are TRUE asylum seekers.
I mean, this is like saying that the solution to crime is "just don't let people commit crime!" We have a process to determine whether someone is a TRUE asylum seeker or not, and it takes a bit of time, especially when you have a big backlog. There actually was a sensible, bipartisan solution recently agreed on, until Trump blew it up because he thought having a worse situation would help him, and the Congressional GOP has no real beliefs.

At least we're still allowed to call someone who takes an innocent life a murderer, for now anyway.

“You can’t call murderers illegals it’s dehumanizing”

Also the left , you Nazi , race , bigot , transphobic, homophobic, white supremacist !

Tr pretend morals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back