Why real muay thai translates so well to MMA, why American muay thai doesnt

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
In real Thai boxing you can scoop and slam your opponent in fact you can even hip toss your opponent in most cases...elbows of course make an appearance

American rules kickboxing does not allow any of this stuff and Nerfs the sport in the United States

My clinch work translated well into MMA when I moved from Thai boxing. It was actually surprising how well I was able to shut wrestlers down.

MT in most of the West is rather K1 kickboxing, with almost no emphasis on the clinch.

You cannot hip toss in Muay Thai like a Judo throw.

American Kickboxing and American Muay Thai are two completely different things. Although you can argue both have had a degree of success in MMA.

Let's put it this way, I live in a large metropolitan area with well over 6 million people.
There's a few decent Muay Thai gyms I know of, but I can't say I've heard of any places that teach Sanshou.

Yea i couldnt find any legit people near me to teach sanshou. And if i did, i would do a full background on the person.
In my experience it s bullshit kung fu schools that somehow train kickboxing once a week. Lol.

Muay Thai clinch work is pretty weak everywhere outside of Thailand.

Because in Thai rules you can slam your opponent.

The hip toss is legal in Thailand, it's not common but it does occur, any sweep or dump is 100% common and you even see a Greco type throw (lateral drop) now and then...but only legal in Thailand

The hip toss is legal in Thailand, it's not common but it does occur, any sweep or dump is 100% common and you even see a Greco type throw (lateral drop) now and then...but only legal in Thailand
It's literally listed as a foul in the rules of Lumpinee stadium:

"Using judo and wrestling styles."

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw10770.pdf

It's not common because it's a foul. Sometimes people get away with it.

Last edited:

Full Thai rules are Full Thai rules doesn't matter what part of the world, most western countries do not allow it until you progress through their class system.......this leads most camps to neglect things like clinch, elbows and knees...... Earlier on in their development.

The west use a punch heavy scoring system too, you are allowed to dump someone in full Thai rules, don't grab below the waist and make sure it looks like a strike has landed before the dump, you can get away with this anywhere in the world.

But nothing I have said takes away from the fact, western clinch game in Muay Thai is weak........ You're only going to get good at it if you go to Thailand and train.......

I believe you can do a hip toss as long as you don’t lift the other guy up
Sure, but those kind of throws are a lot different than what you see in Judo. I think you're required to use the front of your leg when sweeping.

Sure, but those kind of throws are a lot different than what you see in Judo. I think you're required to use the front of your leg when sweeping.

typically you will get warned by the ref if you do judo throws/hip tosses but as long as you add some kicking motion into the throw, they will allow it.

It needs to be a strike....... And you can kick them as they fall after the dump/toss, as long as your kick is in motion before they hit the ground, you can even get away with a good kick when they are on the floor but it's boarder line.

How is it legal to toss if not with the hips?? How else do you toss a dude?

typically you will get warned by the ref if you do judo throws/hip tosses but as long as you add some kicking motion into the throw, they will allow it.
"Judo throws" get used all the time in muay thai. The most common type of clinch takedown in muay thai is a footsweep. You also see knee picks, power twists, off balances, uchimata variations and all kinds of other takedowns which get used in judo and wrestling.

Back