Why Steve Vai and other "great" guitarists are so boring?

I can see why he’s not popular. Mad talent, but his themes aren’t meant to appeal to the mainstream.Most of his lyrics are too straight forward with little to no subtlety which is unappealing, he has his gems though.

Vai has something to offer to a lot of genres, same reason I respect Opeth and dig other artists that stray from their common ground. Confining yourself to one type of art prevents growth.

/drunk

Tender Surrender & Bad Horsie are literally the only songs I can listen to, they're the exception.
The 2 Satriani songs you posted were boring af though.
And other than these 2 songs from Steve Vai, I couldn't find anything I could enjoy listening too.

For the love of god?

I appreciate the skill of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc... They're quite impressive to watch, but gosh, their music is just so boring to listen to. Even baby songs have often a more catchy tune than stuff they play.
Is this because I'm a music imbecile that knows nothing about music and just can't grasp their godly music?
Or is it cause their "catchy tune" talent is non-existent?

It blows my mind how somebody can be that good on an instrument, yet compose such shitty music.
Thoughts?

The basic reason is rhythm - or lack of.

Joe Satriani came about when very clinical/fake rhythm sections were in fashion in studio production - not all artists did it back then (Tom Waits, for instance) - but late eighties production, coupled with the tendency to write fairly disposable "chugging" riffs during the New Wave of British Heavy Metal/pop metal era meant a lot of Joe Satriani tracks actually have really bland, slightly fake grooves to them.

His actual tone and sense of melody is great - but he's basically a prog musician, and many of them are considered terminally uncool - (the futuristic sound, pointless 'virtuosity' etc . . . )

As for Vai etc - he's bland/prog AND has far less melody than Satriani + far more widdly widdly

They're all imitating a fairly dull, nerdy Englishman called Allan Holdsworth, he used modes and played horizontally across the entire neck going "widdly widdly widdly" before any of them. They're teen-friendly "rock fashion" versions of Allan Holdsworth.

Some widdly widdly widdly guitarists go more classical - Yngwie etc? Not sure - there's something faceless and impersonal about an album of just instrumental tracks when a lot of music focuses more on group interplay or vocal tracks etc.

I'm not saying Satriani is terrible - his tone, melodies are great - but there's notable setbacks to the way he does music, and he's the biggest seller in the modern "guitar" genre.

Really liked Passion and Warfare from Vai. Always enjoyed his stuff and his skill. Satriani Flying in a Blue dream as well.

But without a doubt, SRV is the guy I listen to time and again. SRV live at El Macombo is the best performance ever. Nothing else touches it. If you've never watched it, do yourself a favor and go do it.

i just cant get behind "great" being primarily about skill level. for me its the amount of feeling or spiritual power that comes off the guitarist that makes it great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back