Will Sean O Malley be the biggest star in the UFC if he beats Aljo?

As ridiculous and sad as it sounds on the surface, with a highlight reel ko... I think he actually would be...

Well, he does have like 3 million Instagram followers...

Social media followers does not equal ppv buys.

List of UFC ‘stars’ goes something like Conor, Jones, Izzy, Islam, Poirier, Nunes, Volk, Stipe

Even as weak as the roster is right now in terms of crossover appeal, O’Malley still isn’t leapfrogging that by KOing Aljo. If he goes up to FW and takes the belt then he’d be in the hunt

he'll have to get better at promo's, that bullshit with aljo was wwe lite, terrible

why is O Malley considered so popular? he is kind of an exciting fighter but seems a bit one dimensional. Is it because he has pink hair? is that what fans like? men with pink hair?

Hmm good question, he’s a nobody when you compare him with actual stars, but nowadays the UFC doesn’t really have any stars. Maybe Jones? He was never a huge star, but still solid. So what I’m getting at is yeah sure, he might become a big star but a dwarf when compared to actual stars of the sport. Most likely he’ll sell a bit more than Aljo which probably is next to nothing. The only thing O’Malley has going for him stars wise is his silly hair, he doesn’t have an interesting personality and he’s not good on the mic.

I hate that we live in a world where somebody’s Professional success is based on how many online stalkers they have.

I guess in prize fighting you're worth how many viewers you bring in, always been that way.

aljo sucks, anyone that beats him will get some shine. nobody is a superstar in that division

Aljo completely wrestlefucks him. O Malley has a slim punchers chance.
O Malley had problems with Petr's grappling.
He is 5 years younger, that's why he wants more time.
Petr couldn't do anything to him on the ground.

Beyond that, it's very different when you're preparing for a striker vs someone you know is coming to wrestle / grapple you.

All his training was dedicated to beating Yan on the feet. But you can bet he will be thrown into the fire to prepare for Aljo when you have the Mendes brothers as your BJJ coaches.

People sleep on Sean's grappling. Which is dumb.

Aljo will definitely get him down, but I don't think he'll be able to do much to him there. Other than control. While leaving a lot of opportunity to be caught with strikes on the feet and even off his back.

O'Malley is a dangerous fight for everyone in the division. Particularly because there aren't any true finishers in the top 5 and he's the youngest by a few years. So hasn't even hit anywhere near his ceiling.

Social media followers does not equal ppv buys.

List of UFC ‘stars’ goes something like Conor, Jones, Izzy, Islam, Poirier, Nunes, Volk, Stipe

Even as weak as the roster is right now in terms of crossover appeal, O’Malley still isn’t leapfrogging that by KOing Aljo. If he goes up to FW and takes the belt then he’d be in the hunt

For the record, I never said insta followers equate to PPV buys, lol.
That was in reference to someone saying no one outside of UFC fans know who he is.

But look at your list-
Top tier-
Conor- Yes, big star, but hasn't beat anyone other than Cowboy Cerrone in 6+ years. Maybe he fights Chandler, maybe he doesn't.
Jones- 1 fight in 3+ years, likely one more against Stipe and he's out.
Izzy- OK, he's at least active with some crossover appeal.
2nd tier-
Islam- Terrific fighter, but doesn't seem to have any mainstream crossover appeal.
Poirer- Eh, if you say so.
Nunes- Eh, if you say so.
Volk- Another really good fighter, but I just don't see him as a mainstream star.
Stipe- 42 years old, likely to retire or be severely damaged goods after the Jones fight.

UFC is desperate for star power, as proven by your own list.
I do not believe O'Malley gets a spectacular win over Aljo, but IF he does, he's right there in the mix, IMO.

He's not a good talker, at all. He can hardly form sentences when put on the spot.

What if conor goes on a tear and wins the hw belt? Who’d be bigger?

For the record, I never said insta followers equate to PPV buys, lol.
That was in reference to someone saying no one outside of UFC fans know who he is.

But look at your list-
Top tier-
Conor- Yes, big star, but hasn't beat anyone other than Cowboy Cerrone in 6+ years. Maybe he fights Chandler, maybe he doesn't.
Jones- 1 fight in 3+ years, likely one more against Stipe and he's out.
Izzy- OK, he's at least active with some crossover appeal.
2nd tier-
Islam- Terrific fighter, but doesn't seem to have any mainstream crossover appeal.
Poirer- Eh, if you say so.
Nunes- Eh, if you say so.
Volk- Another really good fighter, but I just don't see him as a mainstream star.
Stipe- 42 years old, likely to retire or be severely damaged goods after the Jones fight.

UFC is desperate for star power, as proven by your own list.
I do not believe O'Malley gets a spectacular win over Aljo, but IF he does, he's right there in the mix, IMO.

I'd say with a 'spectacular win' (which is quite a qualifier bc anyone winning a title in truly spectacular fashion is going to get some rub off it) he's in the bracket with the names I mentioned but I just don't believe he's jumping over any of them as a PPV draw unless he jumps up and wins a superfight for the FW belt OR goes on a run of totally cleaning out that division as champ. BW is a hard sell for mainstream appeal though (the casual fan just doesen't give as much of a fuck about smaller guys) but the UFC have and will keep on putting the promotional machine behind him so yeh he can break into the bracket, but biggest star as the thread title question says? No way

Hey, Aljo “smokes too.”

I think O'Malley is a pretty big star. Bigger than some geezers realize. If he pulls off a win over Aljo he may very well be the biggest star among young people who consume a lot of social media.

God, I hope that doesn't happen. Aljo seems like a good guy and O'Malley seems like a twit.

Probably. People love terrible/lame things. Look at the rise of Conor.

Back