WMMA haters reached a new level of stupid last night

I think the issue we have right now with WMMA is that the skill gap is still huge between men and women. But at the same time some of the best fights in MMA are not the most technical battles. Sometimes though the poor quality can overshadow the back and forth. I mean, I coached HS wrestling and JV kids can have some real battles but nobody wants to watch JV matches for a reason (outside of coaches and parents) it can just be a sloppy mess. I kinda feel like most WMMA fights are like JV wrestling matches, except they're being mixed in with the varsity matches and we're supposed to give the same credit and show the same interest.

Zhang-Yan was a great fight. Even following directly after Holloway-Gaethje.
I'm sure most male and female fight fans enjoy competitive fights regardless of sex. Dedicated WMMA haters are just an extremely vocal minority. It's background noise. The really toxic comments are usually incels and inbreds just declaring themselves.

the girls have poor technique, gass faster than chimaev and lack finishing power
and dont get me started on the lack of physicality

sure, some girl fights can be cool, most of the time they're not
i respect weili and i tried to watch her fight but i just couldnt concentrate on that shit, it killed the whole mood

wmma mostly sucks, saying "but aljo and kattar had a boring fight" doesn't change that
anyone denying that is posturing to get "goodguy points"

Imo this should have gotten fotn, Dana saying Max vs Gaethje is easily fight of the year but I don't even think it was fotn.. It was awesome obviously but one sided for the most part.

Weili and Yan put on a better fight than both Aljo and Bo...but yes, lets hate them because they're women.

I'll never understand some of you guys sir.

Both those fights were also garbage.. Arguing that the fight is better than 2 garbage fights doesn't make that fight good just because they are women.

The same thing as when men are getting beaten bloody. These are not helpless girls getting domestically assaulted.
Not the same at all... terrible narrative... and having to watch Kayla beating on Holly like that was pathetic. At a quick glance it looked like Tito beating on his grandmother.

1713207743660.png

Both those fights were also garbage.. Arguing that the fight is better than 2 garbage fights doesn't make that fight good just because they are women.

Im just saying, most of these cats act like every male fight is a gem.
Weili and Yan actually fought their asses off.

I couldn't believe the number of people shitposting in the PBP thread that Weili's fight was boring. It had one of the most dramatic sequences of events I've ever seen in a fight.

1. Weili smashes Yan and chokes her unconscious.

2. Yan wakes up at the end of the round and goes to her corner, where the commentators think they see the ref giving her illegal smelling salts to resuscitate her.

3. Weili smashes her again in the second round and people were speculating Yan may have been out again, from strikes. Yan wakes up and keeps fighting.

3. Third round, Weili is gassed and Yan takes over. What the fuck? This dominant champion, who may have beaten their opponent twice already tonight, might lose because of the craziest circumstances a fighter could find themselves in.

4. Weili digs deep and find her second wind, taking back the fight and attempting to finish Yan (again) right up until the final bell.

At no point was there laying and praying, or circling without action. This fight almost saw a dominant champion dethroned through the most ridiculous of circumstances, but the champ fought her way back to a dominant win. The story of this fight is objectively one of the craziest, most dramatic stories to ever play out in a fight. And people were complaining like there was no action, no sensational set of circumstances playing out, no incredible display of heart and determination on display... fucking ridiculous.

When you're so determined to hate WMMA that you can't say you're just not into it and have to pretend some completely different fight is happening right in front of your eyes... you've got a fucking problem with reality.
I thought it was a very good fight. I couldn't believe Yan ate that RNC for as long as she did -- that was ridiculous..

The gambling on WMMA I can definitely see though, if there's ever a trend I've spotted it's that heavy favorites in WMMA (-300 and lower) are always freaking locks.

Yeh, there's that + it's easier to spot fighters who finish and you still get good odds for them. I've gotten plus money on Karine Silva and Na Liang Unders, which is wild considering between them they've had 48 fights and only 3 of those have reached a third round lol.

And the ones who don't finish you can parlay. I literally lived off multis that were mostly WMMA to start round 2 or go the distance.

The lower ranked girls are always really one dimensional too, so it makes it easier to pick. It's not like the men where lots of them can do a bit of everything.

The fight was sloppy and almost absurd how gassed a champion was in the 3rd round. Not only that but throwing complete air punches like a mile away. Most championship level fighters would've finished Yan in the catatonic state she was in after the 1st.

It had moments of back and forth, but it felt like even the knockdowns weren't as deadly as other fights. I'm tired of pretending that if you took Weili's skills and put it in a male body that she'd be as unstoppable. Yan just happened to be even more 1 dimensional.

I'm not trying to hate wmma, but there is clearly a different level of skill compared to the men. The technical ability of the champ vs #1 contender was pretty low. JJ and Rose seem like more complete fighters skill wise.

WMMA in general is bad, but the top female fighters put on tremendous fights that I enjoy watching as much as the men's. Even look at ONE FC, the third fight of Xong vs Angela Lee was awesome, not to mention the female muay thai and kickboxing which is often very entertaining also. Perhaps the UFC needs to keep lower level wmma fights to apexes and fight nights. There weren't many wmma fights on 300, not sure why you're complaining.

Weili's Muay Thai and kicking game is sharp as hell, you don't know what you're watching.

She's a highly technical fighter that's why she beat Joanna to a decision and a KO. She also took Rose to a close 5 round decision, and got head kick KO'd.

Point being, they were all high level, exciting fights. You just don't really want to enjoy them.

Ofcourse Weili was gassed, she fought through two super tight submission attempts, one of which should have finished the fight early.

Weili's conditioning is great, it was a testament to Yan's durability that she made it that far. Weili is a tremendous athlete generally and is great to watch.

Weili's boxing isn't good, but most fighters aren't good everywhere. Her wrestling and BJJ are very good considering she's only been training them for a short time.

I fast forwarded through the entire fight as it looked like it sucked but maybe I was wrong. It’s a fight that did not belong on UFC 300 though. And I don’t get why people bitch about women not being as technical, and that that means it can’t be good. I want to see violence and some women really do deliver, but too often it it absolute shit.

I couldn't believe the number of people shitposting in the PBP thread that Weili's fight was boring. It had one of the most dramatic sequences of events I've ever seen in a fight.

1. Weili smashes Yan and chokes her unconscious.

2. Yan wakes up at the end of the round and goes to her corner, where the commentators think they see the ref giving her illegal smelling salts to resuscitate her.

3. Weili smashes her again in the second round and people were speculating Yan may have been out again, from strikes. Yan wakes up and keeps fighting.

3. Third round, Weili is gassed and Yan takes over. What the fuck? This dominant champion, who may have beaten their opponent twice already tonight, might lose because of the craziest circumstances a fighter could find themselves in.

4. Weili digs deep and find her second wind, taking back the fight and attempting to finish Yan (again) right up until the final bell.

At no point was there laying and praying, or circling without action. This fight almost saw a dominant champion dethroned through the most ridiculous of circumstances, but the champ fought her way back to a dominant win. The story of this fight is objectively one of the craziest, most dramatic stories to ever play out in a fight. And people were complaining like there was no action, no sensational set of circumstances playing out, no incredible display of heart and determination on display... fucking ridiculous.

When you're so determined to hate WMMA that you can't say you're just not into it and have to pretend some completely different fight is happening right in front of your eyes... you've got a fucking problem with reality.
I skipped through the women's main card fight. Does that make me a hater?

WMMA in general is bad, but the top female fighters put on tremendous fights that I enjoy watching as much as the men's. Even look at ONE FC, the third fight of Xong vs Angela Lee was awesome, not to mention the female muay thai and kickboxing which is often very entertaining also. Perhaps the UFC needs to keep lower level wmma fights to apexes and fight nights. There weren't many wmma fights on 300, not sure why you're complaining.

Weili's Muay Thai and kicking game is sharp as hell, you don't know what you're watching.

She's a highly technical fighter that's why she beat Joanna to a decision and a KO. She also took Rose to a close 5 round decision, and got head kick KO'd.

Point being, they were all high level, exciting fights. You just don't really want to enjoy them.

Ofcourse Weili was gassed, she fought through two super tight submission attempts, one of which should have finished the fight early.

Weili's conditioning is great, it was a testament to Yan's durability that she made it that far. Weili is a tremendous athlete generally and is great to watch.

Weili's boxing isn't good, but most fighters aren't good everywhere. Her wrestling and BJJ are very good considering she's only been training them for a short time.
That's a fair assessment. I consider top wmma to be fine to watch and Weili to be one of them. Just that night with lots of full air punches thrown and gassing from sub attempts I was changing my mind on her. Maybe it was after watching someone like Olivera go for his sub attempts and not look like he gassed earlier in the night. I have a bigger issue with the lower end of wmma than I do for the top.

Back