Wonderboys Roundhouse kick is not that great..

Yeah...I’m a 4 th dan TKD. Have Jeet Kune Do experience. One year wrestling . One year boxing . Brown belt Bjj. Lil bit musy Thai. I feel like my eye fir combat sports and martial technique is better than most average peeps . That said...some fighters whether in mma, Muay Thai, sport karate , boxing , and I’ll include grappling arts ( all of them ) don’t have the “ prettiest “ technique . Some break the “ rules “. Don’t have the prettiest flowery sweeps . Their katas are awkward . They don’t have the greatest jab technically etc . But they can fight . THEN you have those who look SO PRETTY on the bag . Shadow boxing . Hitting mitts . Drilling takedowns . Drilling Bjj techniques . Perfect kata . Perfect throws .They look great . You’d think they were WORLD CLASS. BUT...some can’t fight a lick. Can’t roll worth a damn . Can’t takedown a resisting opponent . Can’t hit a resisting opponent . And worse ...are afraid to get hit/ outgrappled. Fold under pressure of a RESISTING opponent . Anybody can look good in the air . Takes a special person to use it under pressure against an opponent who’s fighting back AND take damage and keep going . All the rest is bullshit or as Bruce Lee said “ the classical mess. “I’d rather be Wonderboy who’s koed lots of people with his kicks in the octagon and kickboxing with his less than perfect roundhouse than some guy kicking the air with perfect technique who’s never fought even a bum at 7 eleven .

[
Yeah...I’m a 4 th dan TKD. Have Jeet Kune Do experience. One year wrestling . One year boxing . Brown belt Bjj. Lil bit musy Thai. I feel like my eye fir combat sports and martial technique is better than most average peeps . That said...some fighters whether in mma, Muay Thai, sport karate , boxing , and I’ll include grappling arts ( all of them ) don’t have the “ prettiest “ technique . Some break the “ rules “. Don’t have the prettiest flowery sweeps . Their katas are awkward . They don’t have the greatest jab technically etc . But they can fight . .

And those people shouldn't put up instructionals but stick to fighting.

I've done this before on a old thread but I would have a little fun breaking down spacetimes terrible attempt at a roundhouse...

You start the kick by doing this with your hands before even moving your rear kicking leg...
Screenshot_20180823-124733.jpg

Big tel, you are showing the person you are up against that you are going to "attempt" to throw a kick.

Then you do this...and completely cover your face?!
Screenshot_20180823-124754.jpg

Then comes your weak as fook kicking chamber...terrible
Screenshot_20180823-124854.jpg
But worst of all is your recovery. After your kick you leave your leg in your weak chamber before resetting, this indicates too much practicing kicking in thin air with no resistance, and not having any knowledge on application or recovery as shown below.
Screenshot_20180823-124942.jpg

You kick is weak and snappy, you have no control in your legs, due to the lack of flexibility and leg strength. your kicks are flicky and not powerful so they will get walked through and answered with heavy punches. Due to the lack of recovery, the person who walks through it will easily light you up and counter you.

I've see people with better technique than yours after a few months of training

You even mentioning wonderboy is ridiculous, you have the worst kicks I have ever seen

I've done this before on a old thread but I
You even mentioning wonderboy is ridiculous, you have the worst kicks I have ever seen

Key word is "old" . My technique is night and day from those. I don’t overrate anymore, my hips are open etc.

Key word is "old" . My technique is night and day from those. I don’t overrate anymore, my hips are open etc.

It looks just as bad, still can't kick high, still to scared to show a kick including how you recover the kick. Still looks weak and will get absorbed and answered by anyone less than half decent. Your kicks are poor. Poor power, poor control, poor flexibility. Its honestly so bad. You should ask you TKD school for your money back, they had made you believe you are good, when you are really bad...that is a big red flag that you are training in a mcdojo

It looks just as bad,

No. I have made great progress. Even though that other kick in the blue shirt is higher, I still closed my hips whatever level it was at. Some people thought I had stiff hip flexors but it turned out to be just poor training (and never seeing myself kick so building unfortunate muscle memory).

My recoil is getting better but I have to strengthen my body before it's at the appropriate kata level.

I always had high marks on explosiveness and power.

Attachments

• _20200122_143539.JPG
    _20200122_143539.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
  • _20200122_161655.JPG
    _20200122_161655.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You should ask you TKD school for your money back, they had made you believe you are good, when you are really bad...that is a big red flag that you are training in a mcdojo

Or take personal responsibility. I do agree though that it was shitty of them to not let me know about this... They just don't care..it seems. Group training, going through the motions and everybody looking after themselves

I would not grade someone to yellow without fixing the hips... So yeah I'm pretty resentful about this. But this is 99% of modern day TKD schools. Thank god for tape and the internet.. You can at least fix it yourself these days.

I was in TKD when I was a kid, but I think having a bag to kick whenever I wanted growing up really made all the difference in the world.

The simpler snappy karate kicks could definitely mess someone up if they're accurate and people are wary of them, but as the other guy posted as soon as you get someone willing to move forward through them, ya gonna get trashed. That's why kicks with the shin are good to know imo, and why technique is a bit muddier than "oh this is a terrible kick, or the best kick in the world." Depends on context.. A statistical mind can see that "perfect" technique often leads to poor results.

Just my opinion. The real fighters here know the ins and outs.

I was in TKD when I was a kid, but I think having a bag to kick whenever I wanted growing up really made all the difference in the world.

The simpler snappy karate kicks could definitely mess someone up if they're accurate and people are wary of them, but as the other guy posted as soon as you get someone willing to move forward through them, ya gonna get trashed. That's why kicks with the shin are good to know imo, and why technique is a bit muddier than "oh this is a terrible kick, or the best kick in the world." Depends on context.. A statistical mind can see that "perfect" technique often leads to poor results.

Disagree!!! I blasted mitts in the TKD gym for 4 years and never had any idea about how my hips looked. I even used the shin just to show off.... I foolishly assumed my kicks were technically sound due to the power. This is precisely what you should NOT do. The bag or mitts help you out too much.

Or take personal responsibility. I do agree though that it was shitty of them to not let me know about this... They just don't care..it seems. Group training, going through the motions and everybody looking after themselves

It's good that you want to make improvements and admit that your technique in previous videos was terrible. But at the time you was singing your praises on how good it was. So tbh, you still have a lot of work to do if you are serious about improving. You need to carry out lots of leg drills, lots of stretching and lots of power kicks against resistance like a bag or a partner with a kick shield. You cannot just kick air all the time. Also if you really care about improvement, then post a clip longer than 1 second and let people critique you instead of editing it down in hope that everyone will say it looks good.

Also recognise that the tma view of there being 1 way to throw a roundhouse in nonsense, there are lots of ways, all correct, all for different situations/targets

The bag or mitts help you out too much.

I think you're a little too caught up in online videos to make a good judgment call on this subject. Just being direct, dont mean any offense. If power kicks that absolutely destroy a bag had no place MT guys wouldn't train how they do.

It's good that you want to make improvements and admit that your technique in previous videos was terrible. But at the time you was singing your praises on how good it was. So tbh, you still have a lot of work to do if you are serious about improving. You need to carry out lots of leg drills, lots of stretching and lots of power kicks against resistance like a bag or a partner with a kick shield. You cannot just kick air all the time.

I'm back at the TKD place kicking mitts, training etc.. I have a major disadvantage compared to flexible people though. I don't have their light foot work and speed. So a typical sparring session is them jumping in and out and getting out of there and running away from me. No ring so I can't corner them.... They rarely land anything on me. Those flashy kicks are telegraphed and easy to move away from. I've been tagged a handful of times since starting, and most of that was as a beginner, from punches...

I don't want to turn my hip over and hit them with a proper right hand, so I let them do their shit,..... I cornered a cocky one into a wall once and pretty much bullied him with my left hand, and he couldn't parry them. and he asked me stop. That's how different it would be if we quit playing..

So not an ideal place to grow in but I don't want injuries, just want to have some fun and keep in decent shape. Muay Thai sparring in a ring suits me a lot better to be honest. I miss clinching too.... They don't want to change any sparring rules even when I suggest it.

I think you're a little too caught up in online videos to make a good judgment call on this subject. Just being direct, dont mean any offense. If power kicks that absolutely destroy a bag had no place MT guys wouldn't train how they do.

I'm saying you have to do both. Just my opinion. If you're naturally flexible it might not be such a big deal. You might get the proper mechanics in from the get-go. I did not..

Yeah I think part of the confusion here is that you're actually not kicking that high with that roundhouse. I have the same problem.. I can kick a front snapping kick to my head height, but my roundhouse is definitely lacking the altitude, so its more of a high body kick.

I actually would like to know some good groin stretches to help that problem if anyone knows some.

Yeah I think part of the confusion here is that you're actually not kicking that high with that roundhouse. I have the same problem.. I can kick a front snapping kick to my head height, but my roundhouse is definitely lacking the altitude, so its more of a high body kick.

I'll have to single something out that's my head level and see how it looks. Pretty sure I can.... but without losing too much form is the big question.. I would have to lean a lot at my present level.

Lol you always have an excuse for why you dont feel you are what you absolutely are.

[

And those people shouldn't put up instructionals but stick to fighting.
Lol ok bud . And you shouldn’t post vids either . Slow and uncoordinated . Telegraphed “ here it comes shit .” No fast twitch fibers in your dna . Good effort though I guess.

The best method of kicking is the Roundhouse kick. And Muaythai's. Styles like Karate and Kung Fu created this kick that was passed in theory. Unlike Muaythai who owes his techniques developed in practical experiences.

Back