• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Prime Anderson Silva get owned by Sean Strickland?

you got that fucking right. Anderson's boxing is better than Stricklands, in addition to pretty much everything else. Stamina might be Sean's only true advantage. Anderson would take him apart. He is way more of a creative fighter than Izzy and much ballsier.
Anderson would have started shucking and jiving and froze Sean up. When he started that shit I always loved to see his opponents' reactions. They all had the sudden realization "aw shit, this is his highlight reel moment - I'm the next victim.... right fucking now - shit!!"

It was a great era.

But he didn't. And that was a feat of superhuman will. His stock rose HIGHLY in my mind then because I realized how gritty a mental warrior he was.

99%+ of fighters give up and have given up at that point in a fight like that. Anderson is part of that less than 1% who just have the minds of rare championship calibre.

I knew he was physically gifted and skilled. But I'd never seen him need to dig deep to beat anyone (and that's saying something). And then Chael. And he showed his mind was as solid as his skills. Full package. That was the kind of night legends are made of.

Btw, I'm one of the VERY FEW ppl who got inspired when he came out for the fifth and told the fans to cheer. I turned to my boy who was shaking in his boots and said "See? He's not at all mentally defeated! He's still thinking he'll win - I'm not counting him out yet".

You can imagine my reaction when he pulled it off. That's what a rare, rare, rare, champ is made of. Hail the king!

That was more so Sonnen being stupid than anything.

Sonnen was sitting straight up in the guard, tired, and playing handsies with Silva. Sonnen would have gotten triangled by a lot of people doing that. All he had to do was not be stupid for 1 minute and it was over.

Anderson made a career of fighting brawlers/aggressive kickboxers. Who’d he fight like Sean?
There was nobody like Sean, just like there is nobody like Anderson, and will never be again.

But Anderson would have dismantles Sean fairly easily. 1 or 2 rounds. Magic was a regular occurrence when he fought. He didn't just beat everyone - he made them all seem overhyped and amateur. Incredible era.

The Anderson that fought against Maia/Lutter would lose.
The Anderson that fought against Vitor/Forrest/Hendo would win.
Really depends on which Anderson would show up. Strickland was built by God to make counter strikers uncomfortable. Worst Anderson vs best Izzy is much closer than people want to admit.

I love when posters make fighters out to be multiple persons from different dimensions. Maybe take an iq test and report back if it came back positive.

Who says Strickland is more durable than Bisping? Isn't that implying Hendo couldn't put Strickland out cold too?
He's tough as well and taken clean shots over the years. The fact that he wasn't flat out cold after getting nailed by Poatan also speaks to his durability. He's not Hendo status, but Bisping has been hurt by much milder punchers than Strickland.
His HL reel is a product of skill, speed and unpredictability on top of a solid boxing base that allowed him to outbox Chavez JR even at a geriatric age.
Silva stopped people with literally every point of every limb. Lol at his abilities being based on "mythos"
I'm not saying he's untalented. I'm pointing out that his fighters gave him more respect than his considerable abilities engendered already, especially in the tail end of his career. Case in point, see how poorly Izzy fought when he fought an ancient Silva and dropped a round to him. It was smoke and mirrors at that point.

Also keep in mind that there wasn't anything really magical in how Bisping or Weidman beat him. Insistent pressure where they stayed over their feet and threw in combo. Silva's striking prowess is exaggerated when it comes to his technique and overall decisionmaking. That doesn't take away from his status as one of the greatest fighters I've ever seen.

FYI: it should go without saying that Chavez JR is an abysmal fighter at the point Silva faced him. That's like me saying Silva is a bad striker cuz he got dropped and out struck by Jake Fucking Paul.

That was more so Sonnen being stupid than anything.

Sonnen was sitting straight up in the guard, tired, and playing handsies with Silva. Sonnen would have gotten triangled by a lot of people doing that. All he had to do was not be stupid for 1 minute and it was over.
Well I think there are reasons why ppl are stupid for 1 minute. I'd have to watch yet again to remember why he ended up in danger, but it wasn't due to "stupidity" as much as fighting a craftier fighter, I believe. And most fighters would be too mentally defeated at that point to pull anything off. I'm just giving credit where it's due.

Anderson made a career of fighting brawlers/aggressive kickboxers. Who’d he fight like Sean?
world champion boxer?
i

I'm not saying he's untalented. I'm pointing out that his fighters gave him more respect than his considerable abilities engendered already, especially in the tail end of his career. Case in point, see how poorly Izzy fought when he fought an ancient Silva and dropped a round to him. It was smoke and mirrors at that point.

Also keep in mind that there wasn't anything really magical in how Bisping or Weidman beat him. Insistent pressure where they stayed over their feet and threw in combo. Silva's striking prowess is exaggerated when it comes to his technique and overall decisionmaking. That doesn't take away from his status as one of the greatest fighters I've ever seen.

Its easy to say so watching it in the screen but the reality is that a fight ending shot with Anderson in the cage could come from every angle from every limb, including the clinch. And used to have a granite chin, which doesnt exactly encourage to engage

I dont think you realize how much does that affect the decision making of the opponent. Because it was real, it wasnt a myth or smoke. You just need to look at the plethora of different techniques Silva hurted/KOed people with. Its unparalelled. As real as it gets, no myths.

The fact he still had competitive decisions with Israel, Bisping or Chavez JR despite a dramatic loss in phisical ability at a geriatric age and terrible mileage including a broken leg is a testament of his solid fundamentals imo

Last edited:
world champion boxer?
i

I mean, if we going to take Silvia’s boxing career he did lose to Jake Paul.

Also the closest opponents Silva fought that’s like Sean was Weidman and Bisping, who were much more fundamental in style with a focus on a good 1-2 and defense. Sure Silva was out of his prime but he has 2 losses to people who are most similar to Sean.

But he didn't. And that was a feat of superhuman will. His stock rose HIGHLY in my mind then because I realized how gritty a mental warrior he was.

99%+ of fighters give up and have given up at that point in a fight like that. Anderson is part of that less than 1% who just have the minds of rare championship calibre.

I knew he was physically gifted and skilled. But I'd never seen him need to dig deep to beat anyone (and that's saying something). And then Chael. And he showed his mind was as solid as his skills. Full package. That was the kind of night legends are made of.

Btw, I'm one of the VERY FEW ppl who got inspired when he came out for the fifth and told the fans to cheer. I turned to my boy who was shaking in his boots and said "See? He's not at all mentally defeated! He's still thinking he'll win - I'm not counting him out yet".

You can imagine my reaction when he pulled it off. That's what a rare, rare, rare, champ is made of. Hail the king!

I’ll never forget where I was when Anderson pulled off that triangle choke with less than 2 minutes left in 5th round against Chael the stuff of legends and greatness personified.

Should've made this a poll.

I think the majority of us agree that prime Silva was a different animal and would've beaten Strickland handily. Poor Izzy will never amount to Silva's legacy at this stage.

Also the closest opponents Silva fought that’s like Sean was Weidman and Bisping, who were much more fundamental in style with a focus on a good 1-2 and defense. Sure Silva was out of his prime but he has 2 losses to people who are most similar to Sean.
But Prime Silva has no losses. Prime Izzy has 3.

Anyway, prime Silva flatlines Bisping and Sean easily, and either Weidman would have had his kryptonite or, more likely, a 3 yr younger Silva beats Weidman as well. This, we will never know.

Prime Anderson more times than not wouldve created a succesful counterstrike opportunity through his better setups and traps imo

Anderson was a true Sniper, his ability to read openings is still pretty much unmatched.

he is a good boxer, that's all I was trying to say. Jake Paul fight was fairly close, it was 3-2 going into 6th.
he isn't infallible, and takes unecessary risks sometimes; most of his losses came late in the career though, including Bisping, Weidman etc. I'd say his level of boxing fundamentals and general skillset would be a big issue for Sean.

Oh man, if Zaleski styled on Strickland I can't imagine what Silva would have done to him.
Zaleski... it's been a while. Any other capoeira guys around? They're super exciting. Flying spinny shit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FELIPETHEEAGLEVEIGA
Back